Need to delete the "Phone" application...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by a0cake, Apr 1, 2010.

1. a0cake

a0cake New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    sounds unusual, I know....but I need to delete the phone icon, essentially turning my droid into a media platform without a functioning phone. I'll soon be deploying to afghanistan and rules prohibit bringing cell phones, but I'd still like to be able to watch movies on my Droid and have a real argument that it's not functioning as a phone. Any help would be appreciated.

2. NeverEndingXsin

Ratings:
    +0
    if you root your phone and download "root explorer" you should be able to find the "phone.apk" and you can just rename it too "phone.apk.bak" and that should disable it from being to make calls and such.

3. titans

titans Premium Member
    Rescue Squad Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What he said..if not you can just cut and paste the phone.apk on your computer, and save it until you get back. Thanks for your service btw!

4. alienware777

alienware777 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't think that it's as simple as what you're all saying... maybe it is, but I don't think so. I do know however that it can be done through adb.

This would be the general thing...

$su
    #mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    #rm (location of phone.apk)
    #mount -o remount,ro -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
    #reboot
    #

As you can see though, I can't remember where exactly the phone.apk is located...

Also, http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/34257-ahhhh.html :(

5. hydrogenman

hydrogenman Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The reason they don't want you to have a phone in a combat deployment isn't just that you might make a voicemail call.

as it will wirelessly transmit data, you won't be able to use it ...trust me

6. alienware777

alienware777 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe you could put it into airplane mode forever? There is probably a script that will allow you to do it...

7. a0cake

a0cake New Member

Ratings:
    +0

I don't forsee that being an issue. It will never leave the base and come out on patrol. Local nationals, interpreters, and various other military personell have cell phones in these combat zones in order to have a means of communication with local nationals with whom we have contact. In fact, it is not uncommon for units to obtain working cell phones from local stores and give out those numbers for people to call in tips. The issue is not with the signal a phone emits but with making unauthorized personal calls and the possible distraction of a cell phone outside the wire. Thanks for everyone's responses.

8. Erron

Erron Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    Um....if youre going overseas your droid wont work anyway. It's not a global phone and the radio wont allow it. So even though just removing phone.apk wont kill it completely it would work.

EDIT: Or call verizon, have them kill the ESN. You do that, and remove phone..theres no way youll be getting any phone data, voicemail or anything else.

9. a0cake

a0cake New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I understand this and know the phone won't work anyway. But it doesn't help my case when there's a phone icon and there's a rule against phones. If I can get the phone application deleted I may be able to convince the authority on this to allow it. It's an issue of appearances, more than anything. Thanks.

10. a0cake

a0cake New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Good call. Thanks again.

11. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    First, thank you for your sacrifice. I have friends in the Army and AF and Navy service overseas.

Second, do this:
    1. Move your phone icon into your trash can. That way the "phone app" cannot be called.
    2. Put it in airplane mode. That way it won't receive calls / texts /etc.

When you come back, all it takes is activating the phone app from Applications or sending an SMS once you turn airplane mode off.

E

12. joshnichols189

Ratings:
    +0
    Here's what I would do if you're rooted, and trust me it's by far the easiest.

Download root explorer, and open it up.
    At the top will be a grey button with "Mount R/W" on it, hit this and now you can edit/delete files.
    Scroll down to the folder titled "system"
    This should open the folder, now enter the folder "app"
    Now you should move these files to a folder on your computer.
    To be on the safe side, I would move:
    Contacts.apk
    Mms.apk
    Phone.apk
    and VoiceDialer.apk

This will remove of course the contacts icon, phone, texts, and voice dialing icons. Or you can just move the phone.apk for the phone icon if having the other three on there aren't that big of a deal.

Then when you come home, you can just copy the phone.apk from your computer into the folder you were just in and it should be working fine.

I wish you best of luck and safety in your travels, and I hope this helps =]

Search tags for this page
android can i remove phone apk
android remove phone apk
android remove phone icon

android remove phone.apk

android uninstall phone apk

delete phone.apk

how to delete phone.apk
remove phone apk android
remove phone icon android

remove phone.apk