Need tether, video and root. Should I jump to leak?

Big D

Reaction score
Really getting tired of waiting for the leaked based ROMs to come out (not *****ing, BTW. Totally understand that the D4 is a tough platform). I just want ICS and I'm getting sick of all you having all the fun.

If I absolutely need those things listed, should I just continue to wait or just jump.

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You are going to need to be on the Leak anyway to use the leak based custom ROMs. Since the leak is from Motorola, the hardware stuff (video) is there (along with the new kernel). You need to make sure to follow all the threads about retaining root when updating to the leak and you should have root. The SQL edit should give you tether from what I've read.

So you can be ICS and wait for the CM9/AOKP leak based ROMs or you can be on Gingerbread and wait until they are out, then update to the leak and use CM9/AOKP/Etc.. The choice is yours.

OP
B

Big D

Reaction score
Cool. I'm just gonna go for it.

Thanks, tcrews.

kenji91

Reaction score
Make sure you follow the instructions exactly, step-by-step, and read ALL of them beforehand. It says to SBF to completely stock, root, protect root, unroot, re-root, and then flash ICS. I used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and I'm on a rooted ICS now.

Something to keep in mind... I couldn't find my ICS zip file on my SD card, despite it being there. Recovery wouldn't recognize my "download" folder so I booted in stock ICS and copied it to a folder that I saw in Recovery.

I forgot how annoying bloatware was, though. :)

Reaction score
Make sure you follow the instructions exactly, step-by-step, and read ALL of them beforehand. It says to SBF to completely stock, root, protect root, unroot, re-root, and then flash ICS. I used Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and I'm on a rooted ICS now.

Something to keep in mind... I couldn't find my ICS zip file on my SD card, despite it being there. Recovery wouldn't recognize my "download" folder so I booted in stock ICS and copied it to a folder that I saw in Recovery.

I forgot how annoying bloatware was, though. :)

I spent the last couple of months switching stuff in and out using safestrap, probing the software to see what they had improved upon. While I appreciate their hard work, the main thing has always been the video drivers, which haven't been released, yet.

Stock GB, rooted, and debloated until the real ICS comes out. A few weeks later, I'm sure all of the booty from stock ICS will be integrated into the development community's projects.

Cheers.

JKingDev

Reaction score
I am on the leak and the one thing I dont have is tethering. Are you guys using wifi tether? I saw instructions for getting it to work by using sqlite editor but that app is not free (not that i am a cheapo that wont purchase apps; i would just rather not buy an app to use once and never again). Is there another way to do it?

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Foxfi works for tether, have heard the entitlement hack does too but haven't tried. Wifi tether for root users does not and a issue note for the d4 ics has been posted there.

Technix2002

Reaction score
I am on the leak and the one thing I dont have is tethering. Are you guys using wifi tether? I saw instructions for getting it to work by using sqlite editor but that app is not free (not that i am a cheapo that wont purchase apps; i would just rather not buy an app to use once and never again). Is there another way to do it?

Search Google Play for DB Browser, it's free but more difficult to use. Google Entitlement and DB Browser to find out how it's done.

JKingDev

Reaction score
Search Google Play for DB Browser, it's free but more difficult to use. Google Entitlement and DB Browser to find out how it's done.
Thanks. For some reason foxfi wont work for me. Ill give this a shot.

ghostlobster

Reaction score
FoxFi works great for me as well. I just moved to the 208 leak, maintained root (not that it should matter for FoxFi) and it works perfectly.

JKingDev

Reaction score
FoxFi works great for me as well. I just moved to the 208 leak, maintained root (not that it should matter for FoxFi) and it works perfectly.
How did you maintain root?? I thought it would not work to maintain root. I am on the first leak with root. What instructions did you follow?

ghostlobster

Reaction score
Last edited: