Need surround sound receiver help

baniels

Reaction score
What is your budget?

There's a lot more to consider than the number of optical inputs when choosing a receiver.

I would suggest you spend some time over at AVS Forum. Like I said, a lot to consider if you want the best bang for your buck.

That forum contains everything you need to know. Just search and read.

Good luck.

OP
Slntagent

Slntagent

Reaction score
ty will do...im looking around the $500 max..ill take a look at the site ty again

SANhacker

Reaction score
I know your PS3 has HDMI, but I can't speak for your 360 and Cable box. No need to use optical when you start using HDMI. HDMI supports losless codecs (DTS-MA HD and Dolby True-HD) which are standard for today's Blu Ray players and cable boxes. 5.1 is old school by today's standards.

I'd suggest a trip over to avsforums.com to get the latest information.
Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Sony and others all support HDMI 1.3 with losless audio.

Edit: I see you already have the answer while I was typing. LOL.

OP
Slntagent

Slntagent

Reaction score
I know your PS3 has HDMI, but I can't speak for your 360 and Cable box. No need to use optical when you start using HDMI. HDMI supports losless codecs (DTS-MA HD and Dolby True-HD) which are standard for today's Blu Ray players and cable boxes. 5.1 is old school by today's standards.

I'd suggest a trip over to avsforums.com to get the latest information.
Pioneer, Denon, Onkyo, Sony and others all support HDMI 1.3 with losless audio.

ya im takin a look at that site right now...ok so if i understand you correctly, if i find a good reciever with HDMI inputs then i will be all set...all my systems are on hdmi right now, but i was told that optical is the best bet for sound..guess i was told wrong?!

SANhacker

Reaction score
HDMI 1.3 supports losless audio codecs via digital. It's the only way to go and it's also only one cable for video and audio. 1080P support and the latest audio over one pipe. EZPZ. I'd take a look at the Denon or Onkyo offerings given your price range. I went with the Denon for the Audyssey Dynamic Volume. DirecTV commercials were driving me crazy until I bought this thing. Now the volume doesn't change when a commercial comes on. I'm sure other brands also have this feature. Not trying to be a fan boy. Best of luck with whatever you decide.