Need suggestions for upgrading Parents from regular phones to Smartphones.

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
I would like everyones' suggestions on two smart phones for my parents. They are older but still want to have advanced phones.

What my dad is looking to do is to watch Stream TV/Text

My mother is looking for Apps/Music/Text

Any suggestions on plans to get/devices to get?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Might get flamed, but probably the best thing is an Iphone. They are simple and will do what they want.

LLR0717

johnnycool001

Reaction score
My parents, not the best with tec. both have D1's, All because my dad wandered into a store and the salesman showed him what all it can do. It took a bit or "training" on my part, and I still have to awser questions form time to time. but for two people that have never sent a text till the SP they are doing quite well. Since they don't have one to be used to . Even the iphone will take a bit to get used to. Last night I spent 10 mins looking for the repeat button, on my old ipod, touch, because I don't use it anymore.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would also have to agree with Jstafford, the iPhone is simple and easy to use and it can perform all the required functions.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Hmm

I was thinking maybe the Droid 3 for both of them, the reason being that it has a keyboard so that they can type out text messages. Just wondering if the Droid 3 can stream tv? Does anyone know how to apply the aarp discount for their plan?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Might get flamed, but probably the best thing is an Iphone. They are simple and will do what they want.

LLR0717
Couldn't agree more, especially if they're not especially tech-savvy. Both my parents recently upgraded to them about 2 weeks ago and they're finally getting the hang of it, finally started typing with their thumbs:D

Other than some minor things that come with getting used to it, they think it's easy to use. My mom complained for well over a week how she wanted a normal phone now she can't put the thing down. My dad knows his way around tech better, and he enjoys it as well.

OP
DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Any other suggestions?

player52

Reaction score
if i was you id stay away from all touch screen phones since those are harder to learn to text on.

i got my mom the iphone 4 when it came out and she hated it till she got her D3. now she doesnt stop texting me :angry:

OP
DESERPENTOR

DESERPENTOR

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
I decided to go with the HTC Incredible 2 in red for my Mom, and the Motorola Pro for my Dad. I hope all goes well most important of most is that they are smart phones dancedroid and global phones at the same time :icon_ lala:

jcardona1

Reaction score
Another vote for the iPhone. When you watch a toddler who can barely talk unlock an iPhone, take pictures with it, scroll through the screens and find his favorite game, it's no wonder people love it for being so user friendly.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I decided to go with the HTC Incredible 2 in red for my Mom, and the Motorola Pro for my Dad. I hope all goes well most important of most is that they are smart phones dancedroid and global phones at the same time :icon_ lala:

Good choices. Guessing they had no say in their choices either lol.

Should've gone into the store with them and let them choose, they are going to be the ones using it after all.

wcjeep

Reaction score
for your dad, did you consider a 4g device for streaming tv? Maybe the upcoming Droid 4? Or htc rezound or razr. If they are paying for data might as well go 4g.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Moto pro isnt to good imo, id go for something with 4g or at least a newer phone.