1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Need stablest ROM for wife: SS 4.2, or 3.3?

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by MentalNomad, Jun 27, 2010.

1. MentalNomad

MentalNomad New Member

Looking for advice... wife is unhappy with her Droid and I only get limited time for troubleshooting it (or it makes her even unhappier.)

I would like to move her to Froyo, but it may be too early... am prepared to triple-wipe her Droid and do a fresh install, then re-install her apps and reconfigure EVERYTHING from scratch in an effort to get her completely stable.

She is currently on a Bguless build (latest before Froyo). She doesn't have FC issues, but she has maps issues and email sync issues (not with gmail; using SMTP for private site email.)

Am thinking I'll install K9 email for the mail problem, but am open to suggestions.

So the main question is: has SS 4.2 reached the point where it's REALLY stable, assuming she doesn't install a lot of apps (needs WiFi tether, everything else is negotiable)? Or is it still experimental, and a lot of apps out there cause problems, and maybe she'll be happier with the lower feature-set of 3.3 if it's stabler...

She dosn't need OC, so I only bump her to 800Mhz. If that were an issue, she'd be fine running stock speed. She doesn't complain of battery life.

Any stability advice welcome - even it's advice to use a different ROM. Or even to go stock... but she does need WiFi tether, so I at least need it rooted with a kernel that will accept tether.

Thanks in advance!
  2. Asterisk

Asterisk New Member

I have been running SS 4.2 for a few days now and it is stable. I haven't had any problems with apps or anything like that. I feel it is faster then 4.1 and bugless but that is just me. I can tell that unlocking is a lot smoother with 4.2. You can even use Chevy's script to back up all of her apps before installing.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  3. monnietron

monnietron New Member

I was running 4.1 for over a week, and 4.2 for a few days, haven't had any issues.
  4. c_hale22

c_hale22 Theme Developer Theme Developer

SS 4.2 has been really stable for me and themed nice
  5. GryphonD

GryphonD New Member

If it really is an absolute on Stability, I would suggest you use a prior 2.1 ROM from one of the developers. Froyo still has many issues.
  6. MentalNomad

MentalNomad New Member

Your point is was my starting point... I believe SS 3.3 is 2.1-based ROM. Am open to suggestions for 2.1's. She is on the last Bugless 2.1 and unhappy... but if that is the most stable, I'm game to just reset and re-do her phone on Bugless... Note, that IS why I put her on "Bugless" in the first place.

Others - please keep the feedback coming!
  7. alonsou

alonsou New Member

I've been using SS 4.2 for a couple of days already, and this is by far one of the most stables Froyo ROM's out there. I really have no issues at all, well only one, my Facebook widget was not syncing at all, I just uninstall it and reinstalled and issue solve. Love my set up as well.

SS 4.2
    2.6.32-lowV 1.25Ghz Kernel
    Launcher Pro /5 screens
    New Droid X LWP
  8. MAD450r

MAD450r Theme Developer Theme Developer

Not sure if its just me

I tried SSv4.2 and it will not work with most of my edits so I fell back to SSv4.1 which for me is the most stable Froyo ive tried yet. and I've tried every version I could find.

As for 2.1 roms I too found BBv1.1 to be the fastest most stable 2.1 rom I was running so if she doesn't want to move up to froyo quite yet then yes Id suggest restarting her backt o BBv1.1.
  9. ICANSEEYOU7687

ICANSEEYOU7687 New Member

I was on bugless beast 1.1 and loved it. But his froyo build causes my phone to restart. Don't get me wrong I love petes work...but I think he is doing some work on some other android phones now too.

So then I cam here to check out chevys work and I'm on 4.2 now and love it. I'm also using the ultra low voltage 1ghz kernel and now I'm in love. My phone is running really fast and the temperatures are typically 5-10 degrees cooler then normal. It has blown me away. I also have not had any restarts or anything like that. Although flash running is a bit of a disappointment to me. Don't even really need it and it makes some webpages take forever to load.

But the real question is why is she unhappy? I loved petes BB 1.1 rom I just switched causes I wanted to try froyo out. But wut about bugless beast rom does she not like?
  10. sighrus

sighrus New Member

I have tried most of the roms out there with the exception of those based on the new code release (waiting for Chevy's SS release) and SS 4.2 is by far the most stable rom I have run to date. No fc's, no random reboots and the best connectivity, a constant steady stable connection on wifi and 3G, that for me has been the biggest improvement from SS 4.1 to 4.2. If you run it with Chevy's ulv 7 slot 800 mhz kernal you will get amazing battery life and low temps along with having the fastest and most completely stable roms available today.
  11. r3dpnt

r3dpnt New Member

have you considered CyanogenMod?
  12. MentalNomad

MentalNomad New Member

Yes, Cyanogen is on the table... with nightly builds, you'd expect it to get stable quick. But I lean a hair towards SS personally... and troubleshooting wife's is easier if similar.

But I rule nothing out - make your suggestions!

Hmmm... is Cyano building off a 2.2 now? I just realized I presumed Cyano Eclair would be stable, but that I'd not be able to run Froyo myself... which, without checking, is an absurd error to make. :p
  13. MentalNomad

MentalNomad New Member

She's still on 1.1. She has two main beefs:

Google maps problems. She has bad luck in finding bad routes (i.e., impossible routes that lead to a back woods road with a fence), but that's the nature of the beast. The bigger issue is that - twice - she has been in a critical situation and the GPS went all wonky. Today she was lost in Jersey City, NJ, and her Maps insisted she was outside of Zionsville, Indiana. No joke. She was ready to got back to BlackBerry.

Email sync problems. She has a private email / domain account and syncs SMTP. As a professional, it's important to know about new email. Seemingly at random, it stops synching. This has happened on stock 2.0, on several iterations of Bugelss up to her current 1.1, and still happens. She does not like rebooting her phone to confirm if she has email, and does not like having to go into apps to force kill / restart email, either. Simply installing K9 may be the fix here.
  14. r3dpnt

r3dpnt New Member

I think the latest CM5 is the most stable. They are working on CM6 now since froyo was released last week. I would not expect to see a release for another since Cyanogen is on vacation.
  15. Asterisk

Asterisk New Member

I tried the latest cyano and it was still on 2.1 so I switched back to chevy's SS 4.1 before 4.2 came out.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  16. mrksbrd

mrksbrd New Member

3.3 is 2.1 based 4.1 & 4.2 are 2.2 Froyo so it will be like comparing apples to oranges. I've used both Froyo 4.1 & 4.2 releases from Chevy and find them to be very reliable on the moto droid, not one issue at all. One of the benefits with Froyo is the auto-backup feature, so if you decide to load a different Froyo ROM it will reinstall all your installed apps. What you can also do to speed up the system to complement what ever over clocking kernel u choose....go into "spare parts" icon and change your transition animations to fast and also download "autokiller" from market and set profiles to aggressive. This will give you a added boost to performance
  17. mkraffert

mkraffert New Member

I really like SS4.2, but I don't think I'd put her on it. It's fast and stable, but email seems a bit flakey. I have it go check for email, and it doesn't find any. Then I go check it on my PC and there's email there. I don't know what the issue is, but I think it has to do with the 3G/WiFi connection. I know Froyo has been notorious for connectivity issues in the earlier builds, and I think there may still be some issues there. I really liked BB 1.1, always got my email and never had any issue with Google Maps. To be fair, I haven't had any issues with Maps on SS4.2 either. I like SS4.2, but I like to tinker. If she needs stability and email as the first priority, I think I'd wait a while for anything Froyo.
  18. titans

titans Premium Member Premium Member

Tbh, if you want the most stable rom out there, go with stock 2.1. All your issues and stability issues should disappear.
  19. mrksbrd

mrksbrd New Member

Some people could be having issues, but I have not witnessed any myself, and yes the early releases were a bit troublesome with wifi, G-Maps and 3G. Remember to make sure to have the latest radio which is C_01.43.01P. Most should have been corrected to this point. Until "official" is released for your specific phone there is always that potential. Current are all ported to work with the different phones. Now that the source code has been released all future builds will be even better & more stable
  20. bpassino

bpassino New Member

That may be a droid issue. Droid has GPS issues. I had a similar problem before I even rooted once. There are times I cannot even get a lock.

I tried BB 1.1 but had an issue with answering the phone. Went to SS 3.3 and that is working fine and themed real nice. I have used BB 0.1, 0.2.1, SS 4.1 and 4.2. I don't belive the froyo builds are ready yet. Benchmarks aside, I think ss 3.3 FEELS faster than the froyo builds.