Need some windows/netbook help..

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have one of the 9" Acer Aspire One netbooks from when they first came out.. Love it, cool, whatever. I tried the Windows 7 RC when it was available and loved it more. Have since reformatted to XP (I messed it up, long story...)

So here's where I'm at: I have a Windows 7 Pro *upgrade* from the win741.com site. You know, the one where students could get an upgrade to 7 for $30? So I can handle that much.. Burn the ISO, boot from disc and do clean install (only option while upgrading from XP to 7).

BUT... I also have Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it. So there is some grub loader at the beginning, when I start it up. I have wiped the Linux partitions before when I had 7 RC, and then it wouldn't startup at all until I reinstalled UNR. Whatever, no biggie. But I never use Linux anymore and I wanted to get rid of it completely, and I'm finding mixed answers all over the web..

Can I do the fixmbr command from an upgrade disc when I go to install 7? Or do I need some full copy of windows for that..? I'm really not sure how to get rid of Linux, or the grub loader... Does anyone have a definite answer?

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bump. ps: everything is working fine on it right now. i don't think i made it clear that i DID reinstall ubuntu, but am still just using xp. i have an upgrade for 7 and want to ONLY have 7 on that machine. thanks in advance!

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
cool, that kinda answers the question of wether the win 7 mbr will fix the current xp installation. thanks! now what I need to know is wether or not I can do that with just an upgrade disc.. is the entire os on that disc? I guess it would have to in order to get me from xp to 7...

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks david, that looks like a good solution. if I can just get rid of the grub loader, I can delete the linux partitions with 7... beautiful. thanks folks!

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One program I've used to fix/play with my Vista installs is EasyBCD Download EasyBCD 1.7.2 - NeoSmart Technologies

David

ok david, that looked like it would be the perfect program, but it only works with vista machines.. i'm still on (rather, back on) xp. though the grub loader shows options like "boot into xp", which is the recovery partition, and "boot into vista" because i HAD 7 RC on there, but that boots into the current xp installment (not the recovery partition).

i know, it's all messed up..

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Almost sounds as a replacement HD would be easier....
I've done it before...launched a HD across the backyard....lol

drowe

Reaction score
One way that might work is to boot a live-cd of one of the distros and use it to remove grub... As I recall, the last time I had a unix partition I needed to get rid of, that was the way I did it. When you install 7 does it give you the option to manually manage the partitions? If you delete the partitions, maybe fdisk /mbr will work?

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One way that might work is to boot a live-cd of one of the distros and use it to remove grub... As I recall, the last time I had a unix partition I needed to get rid of, that was the way I did it. When you install 7 does it give you the option to manually manage the partitions? If you delete the partitions, maybe fdisk /mbr will work?

yeah that's what i'm wondering.. since i have xp now, 7 will have to be a clean install, which you can do from the upgrade disc (as i understand it anyway).. but since it's an upgrade disc, is it the same as a regular full vanilla copy of 7, just with the prerequisite of having to have a copy of some version of windows already? because if that is the case, i SHOULD be able to run the fixmbr or whatever command from a recovery console when i boot from that disc.

does anyone know of a good way to get rid of the grub loader before i go to upgrade windows? i don't have a copy of a live-cd, i got ubuntu from a USB ISO file thingy..

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bump. anybody? wanting to knock this out tonight..

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
update: found a XP disc and was able to run fixmbr. works, completely ignores my linux stuff, which is all i really needed. when i upgrade to 7, i can use the partition editor to get rid of linux completely. yay.

thanks for all your help guys ;)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Glad it worked out.....

OP
Sam

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
its actually about 71% worked out right now ;) 7RC was so much faster, i'm glad this is working out..