Need some recommendations

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by AFX, Mar 20, 2010.

1. AFX

AFX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I just got my Droid today and am pretty disappointed to learn that 2.1 has been postponed indefinitely. I wasn't going to root my phone at all, but now I've decided to. The thing is, I don't want some crazy custom ROM with all kinds of stuff bogging down the phone. I just want something that has been tested thoroughly and is just as stable and as fast as the stock firmware would be without all the bugs that come with most custom software. The only features I need are the ones that come with the actual 2.1 update, such as multitouch and live wallpapers, and I do not want any sort of custom interfaces or graphical changes. I want it as close to stock as possible. Suggestions?

Also, what would be the best thread to follow when rooting for the first time? The stickied one seems to be outdated.

2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The new 2.1 ROMs are usually much faster than your phone, not the opposite (bogging down like you were worried about).

If you want to install Bugless Beast, follow the guide in my signature. Any other of the ROMs you can just substitute the nandroid of Bugless for whatever nandroid they provide for theirs.

3. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    DroidMod is probably what you're looking for. There are a ton of videos, and it's conveniently the easiest way to root/flash your phone if you're new. Good luck.

4. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Even if you decide to use DroidMod I highly suggest reading my thread just to get an idea of what is happening so if something screws up and you say "damn how do I restore" you will already know exactly what to do because you will know the process.

5. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I've had two versions of Bugless Beast. My first was a 2.0.1 and now I have BB 2.1 V0.4

Neither version has caused any problems. Both versions have run extremely well. BTW -
    I used Matt's process to root and install my first rom. It is practically fool proof and you know exactly what is going on.
    Mike

6. AFX

AFX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice! Installed everything no problem and it runs smoothly. Thanks so much for the help.

7. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    What did you end up using?

8. AFX

AFX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bugless Beast.