Need some help unrooting

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by SG181, Jan 17, 2011.

1. SG181

SG181 New Member

Recently, I've been having a lot of problems with my original Droid. My bluetooth often fails to turn on (it says "turning on" for about 30 seconds, then reverts to the standard status when off), it often does not recognize when it is plugged into the charger, and it has a habit of freezing after a reboot until I let it reboot by itself several more times. I'm not sure what caused it, but I'm planning on going to Verizon in a few days to see if I can get a replacement.

Anyways, it's been awhile since I've done a lot of work on my Droid. I'm currently running Lithium Mod, with the Insanely Clean theme. I'm not quite up to date on all of the latest methods for unrooting, so I was hoping I could get some help here. I remember .sbf was one route for unrooting, but as I recall there was a risk of bricking your phone if something went wrong. Obviously, I'd rather take the easiest (and safest) route possible, so if there is an alternative method I'd appreciate if someone could point me to it.

Also, it'd be preferable if I could keep my data, but if worst comes to worst I could always make a Titanium backup and save it to my computer.
  2. ClumsyNinja21

ClumsyNinja21 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Search this forum for unroot. There is an unroot zip that loads like a rom. If u can't find it let me know, i'll upload it. It worked perfectly when I turned mine in.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  3. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

4. SG181

SG181 New Member

ClumsyNinja->Was this the thread you were referring to? http://www.droidforums.net/forum/re...ck-2-2-without-sbf-rsd-lite-droid-1-only.html. If so, that looks like the best option for me right now.

BayouFlyFisher->Thanks for the link. Will the .sbf listed in the pinned "Unroot/unbrick using .sbf post" thread work? I remember reading somewhere a long time ago that there might be a problem using the 2.0.1 .sbf file when you are already on 2.2.

If it does work, what should I do once I flash the 2.0.1 .sbf file? Will there be an OTA update to get me back up to 2.2?
  5. ClumsyNinja21

ClumsyNinja21 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Yup that's the one I used. Worked beautifully. :)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  6. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

I looked at both of them and I like the ClumsyNinja one best too.
  7. Johnly

Johnly Guest

For those rooting......nandroid your first root, this will be your gold sbf....you can flash this and unroot from TE right from your device.....simple...
  8. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Really? There's quite a few contradictions posted here that I would like to see if you can explain as what you have is new to me.

"Nandroid your first root"; what exactly is that? Nandroid backup? Nandroid restore? First root? Maybe what you meant is a nandroid backup of the first boot (using MC1's root any OS method)?

"This will be your gold sbf"; a nandroid backup is NOT equal to or even closely related to a .sbf file. They are two totally different things.

"flash this and unroot right from TE"; By "TE", do you mean Terminal Emulator? I know you can flash things from terminal emulator, but a .sbf file and/or nandroid backup/restore are not one of them.

Please don't take this as a personal attack, I am just trying to keep the info clean as I've seen plenty of these types of posts get read by newbies and then the forums get flooded with question on how to fix their 'nandroid .sbf file', or "tried to flash the sbf with TE but . . ."
  9. adsfa34

adsfa34 New Member

+1 ...Well said, teddyearp. That seems like a very technical method to unroot, and I'm not 100% sure it'll even get the user back to stock...especially when there's the new Master OTA for FRG83D that unroots and reflashes the stock recovery...

The method ClumsyNinja was referring to is the easiest and safest method to unroot / back to stock. Try that first. If you experience problems, then you can dig in using other, more invasive methods... :)
  10. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

+1 ^^^ this. JntDroid and I both worked on guides using basically this same method.

Not to say that it couldn't be done (in theory) using Terminal Emulator. You would still be left with whatever custom rom and possibly stock recovery, but in _theory_ here's the terminal commands:

Code:
    su
    mount -o remount,rw /dev/null /system
    rm /system/app/Superuser.apk
    rm /system/bin/su
    mount -o remount,ro /dev/null /system
    reboot
    Again in _theory_ that _might_ work, but I am not sure how well that would go to remove the 'su' binary while you are at 'root' using the 'su' command. Plus it's not a totally 'clean' unroot for the reasons above.