Need some help here.....

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jeffandria, May 19, 2010.

1. jeffandria

jeffandria New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Followed the SPRecovery, backup and root instructions to a 't' and I keep getting the error
    "assert failed: write_raw_image("/tmp/boot.img"_
    "boot")
    E:Error in /sdcard/update.zip
    (status 7)

Now I already had the problem naming the file .zip.zip and I named it simply 'update' which is how I got further to this step. Now my phone is fine, but for some reason the root won't take? Obviously I'm quite new to this which is why I'm perplexed as to what I'm doing wrong.

2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    My sense is that the SPR install was not successful. If you still have the download on your computer make sure it is "update.zip" mount your phone, delete the "update" file move the "update.zip" from your computer to your sd card and reflash.

Mike

3. jeffandria

jeffandria New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I figured out how to put .zip on the file name w/o having .zip.zip, but I'm still unsuccessful. I followed the video on Video: Installing Stock 2.1 With Root Access | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog and I have no idea why this isn't working...still same error. I may just be mentally challenged, never had a phone like this one (I'm an ex BB storm 2 owner), but I have the superuser icon on my phone.....did it work?

4. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    First we need to determine that you have successfully installed SPR recovery. Turn your phone off. Open the slider and press the "X" and power. I believe this was covered at 3:30 on the video. If your phone does not have SPR then do not proceed until you have that installed.

I'm not positive but I'm thinking that you may have multiple update.zip files on your SD card. You can only have one. If you have more than one remove the oldest and try again.

Mike

5. jeffandria

jeffandria New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    would rooting the phone make the market unavailable? because now it says its rooted lmbo

6. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +22
    What says it's rooted?

Did you boot into recovery (press the X key while powering up the phone)? and verify you have SPRecovery?

The above poster asked you to do this, but did not explain how to tell. If you have SPRecovery, at the top of the racovery screen it will say:
    ---------------------------------
    Android system recovery <version>

Patched by SirPsychoS (his version...like .099.3b)
    ---------------------------------

I don't recall what the stock recovery says, but I know it does nto say "Pathced by SirPsycho". So lets see if you have that before we proceed. Cuz the error you originally reported sounds like a checksum error...which is what the stock recovery will do if you try to use an update.zip not distributed by motorola or Vz.

Nate

7. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Oh...and the market is not available because you screwed up your cache. You have to go into settings and reset top factory and then log back into your google account...re-register the phone. It's a normal part of the process but you are getting your steps out of order now.

Nate

8. jeffandria

jeffandria New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your help. I rooted using the DM Updater. Now have superuser icon with permissions. I had SP Recovery. Got the market working again. Do I need busybox and metamorph to get the cool themes? Or is there a different way? Yeah, apparently I'm a simpleton because I just looked at busybox and what it takes to install and it's intimidating to say the least.

#8 jeffandria, May 19, 2010
    Last edited: May 19, 2010
  9. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Ahhh..keep looking. There are simplified processes to get busy box installed also. I don't use them and can't recall where (somewhere on alldroid) but recall reading it and thinking to myself...that would have saved me some time. LOL

Nate