Need some help from the pros

JMU_Droid

Reaction score
Okay, so I made the jump and rooted my phone a couple of days ago and everything was working great. All of this stuff is new to me, so I've been going through trying to learn all the ins and outs of rooting.

I was having trouble installing ROMs and themes with clockwork, so I tried putting SPRecovery back on. Went through the process as normal, had about 80% battery charge, but then as soon as SPRecovery was flashed, my phone started having problems. It said the system is not responding and it was reading the battery as being completely dead. The phone will keep rebooting and the same thing keeps happening.

But the part that really worries me is that when I reboot into recovery, it gives me some error when I try to a nandroid restore. So is there any way to get myself out of this jam? I really need the help and would also like to learn something new in the process. Thanks guys

OP
J

JMU_Droid

Reaction score
Still trying to figure out solutions. I'm going to try flashing 2.0.1 through RSDLite and the associated sbf file. Does anybody know if this is a bad idea or if it'll work for me?

Edit to add: This indeed did work. So if there are any other noobs that need a last ditch solution to fix their phone, give this a shot. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-help/37717-unroot-unbrick-using-sbf-post-ikithme.html

Now it's time to reroot and keep learning about this whole process.

Last edited:

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
When you rooted and flashed the rom did you also flash a custom kernel? I recently had the same experience (upon boot my phone said I had a dead battery to connect my charger and when I did it did not register the charger. The phone kept turning off). If you did I would suggest flashing just a rom and theme (if desired), let the phone boot up and see what happens.

If this was not the case then yes I would say try to root from the beginning. I would also try downloading new files (SPRecovery, RSD Lite, etc) to make sure you have clean files and did not have a bad download.

Hope this helps.

OP
J

JMU_Droid

Reaction score
Thanks dlwhtrose, that sounds exactly like what my problem was. Got it working, and rooted my phone again to sapphire 0.8.4.

Now before I proceed, I'm going to ask for some newbie assistance so I can start to understand all of this. I want to install sapphire's google app's update, nexTang theme, and the market fix update.

So I'm guessing I just boot into recovery, make a backup, and then add each update individually? So basically, I delete whatever update is already on my sd card, and add the new one I want each time? Also, for installing all of these things on top of 0.8.4, do I wipe data/factory reset each time (as well as wipe cache partition)? Thank you so much for the help. Just trying to get up to speed on all of this.