Need some battery help

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
I've got something running in the background that is sucking the life out of my battery.
Under the battery tab in settings it shows the phone is awake almost completely versus the screen being on a short time. Under that it lists android os at 72 percent versus 61 percent for the display. I have no idea what in the android os that could be running all the time even with the screen off. My friends recommend using task killers to eliminate the problem. The issue started a month ago and draining the life out my battery. I used to get around 40hours of use between charges now I'm lucky if I can make it 24 hours. I've had the phone completely drain down and die twice this week. I don't know the cause and don't know what to do. I'm on. 215, I've done multiple resets and cleared cache and uninstalled recent apps. I however, have kept the updates coming for current apps that I have. Can anyone help with ideas or anything. The phone ran perfectly on GB but since ICS it's been hit or miss. If I have to exchange the phone I'll be pissed, since Google owns Motorola the issues with ICS should be considered a manufacturer defect and covered under warranty. I just want a phone that works as it was designed.
If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

drew96dawg

Reaction score
I've got something running in the background that is sucking the life out of my battery.
Under the battery tab in settings it shows the phone is awake almost completely versus the screen being on a short time. Under that it lists android os at 72 percent versus 61 percent for the display. I have no idea what in the android os that could be running all the time even with the screen off. My friends recommend using task killers to eliminate the problem. The issue started a month ago and draining the life out my battery. I used to get around 40hours of use between charges now I'm lucky if I can make it 24 hours. I've had the phone completely drain down and die twice this week. I don't know the cause and don't know what to do. I'm on. 215, I've done multiple resets and cleared cache and uninstalled recent apps. I however, have kept the updates coming for current apps that I have. Can anyone help with ideas or anything. The phone ran perfectly on GB but since ICS it's been hit or miss. If I have to exchange the phone I'll be pissed, since Google owns Motorola the issues with ICS should be considered a manufacturer defect and covered under warranty. I just want a phone that works as it was designed.
If anyone can help, it would be much appreciated.

First off, after going to ics did you do a factory reset? That solves most peoples problems that are created during the switch.
If you've already done that or doing a fdr doesn't fix the issue download gsam battery monitor and it will tell you exactly what's killing the battery and you can uninstall it.

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
I have done multiple resets. Phone is hot even when not being used. Why would this start now I haven't downloaded any apps that are still running on the phone, could it be a virus. Should I download a task killer?

jaye712

Reaction score
EA.Droyd said:
I have done multiple resets. Phone is hot even when not being used. Why would this start now I haven't downloaded any apps that are still running on the phone, could it be a virus. Should I download a task killer?

For me personaly,i wouldn't dl a task killer..it made my brand new phone black out after 2 days of use n i had to get another replacement,even if i uninstalled it.some ppl have luck with it,some ppl dnt.sometimes it kills things thats not sapose to be killed.i wouldnt recommend any task killer.jst a heads up

RAZR215unrooted

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gsamlabs.bbm
Download that use your phone as normal for a few hours and post results

Sent from my DROID2 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2
Thanks for the link, I'm using it now and so far I'm not seeing anything that stands out as battery killer. I guess it's possible that the battery could be losing some life. It's truly a shame to not be able to change or replace the battery. I have followed FoxKat's advice on battery usage and charging. However, I must say that I have previous experience on lipos from flying rc helicopters and it's not uncommon at all to have to trash(recycle) a $150.00 6000 mah battery in less than a years use. I've even seen them just burst into flames. So, I obviously don't want to have to go through that with this phone. So, I'll keep an eye on it for the next few days.
I do truly thank you for your help.

Last2No

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just at a quick glance it sounds like you may be in a weak 4G area. If so, you need to get a little app called LTE on/off and set it to cdma auto PRL. This has proved to stop the heating issue and enhance battery life.

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Under apps, it lists kernel as using 89.1%. I don't know what this means to me.
Anyone know what kernel is?

The Kernel is the phone's primary set of instructions, and essentially is the root "language" of the phone. Without the Kernel, the phone will not perform functions or follow instructions. The OS - Android, runs on top of the Kernel, and the apps are written to run in Android.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
E

EA.Droyd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo, 64GB
The Kernel is the phone's primary set of instructions, and essentially is the root "language" of the phone. Without the Kernel, the phone will not perform functions or follow instructions. The OS - Android, runs on top of the Kernel, and the apps are written to run in Android.

Thanks FoxKat, my phone and battery until recently has been great but now something is eating my battery up. So, I'm using the app above to help determine what it could be.
Thanks again for your explanation of kernel.

jaye712

Reaction score
FoxKat said:

Thats what i thought.i wasn't sure what the kernel was either but i knew it had to be that "main thing"..thanks fox

RAZR215unrooted

helron

Reaction score
D/L leak 215 and found that System (com.motorola.blur.friendfeed) is using a large percentage of battery life, as is kernal. Life before 215 was the same, and had hoped it would helpwith poor battery issues after Moto Uprade ICS was pushed. battery before ICS was TERRIFIC!
Shut down Smartactions Sleep shutdown, and left 4g on. Battery was DEAD this morning. So, 4g will not make itlonger than 8 hours without talking or surfing the web. Major suck!!! Any help is appreciated. Right now, it;s almost bettr running Gingerbread:)
Also, I often use CMDA PRL becaue of the crappy battery drain with ICS.