Need some assistance with apps starting randomly.

Stubby

Reaction score
OK, I'm new to the Droid X, but reasonably tech savvy. I've had my phone for a few months now, and I've been very happy with it, but a few days ago, I noticed something rather strange.

I've been using the advanced task killer to monitor app usage, and kill things as needed (generally only a few times a day is necessary). Well, a few days ago, I started noticing apps that I wasn't using beginning to pop up for no reason, even if I just let the phone sit idle for a period of time. They'll still re-start after I go in and kill them. Again, this didn't start happening until just recently.

Here's a list of the ones that keep popping up...
Skype Mobile (I'm not using it at all...I don't even have an account for Skype).
Files
Music (why would this even come up???)
Contacts
Voice Commands
Car Dock (haven't used it a single time since I got my phone)
Google Search (Hardly ever use it, and don't have it on any of my home pages)

Is there a way for me to find out what's initiating the start up of these services / apps? It's really bothering me because I don't know what's going on in the background. The only apps I've downloaded recently are the full version of NFS Shift (just because EA had a special going on, and it was only 99 cents), and Angry Birds - Seasons (my 5 yr. old son really likes playing that game).

Like I said, this just started less than a week ago, so I'm wondering if my son accidentally clicked an ad while playing angry birds? Any help y'all could give would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to uninstall or change the settings whatever it is causing this...

On a similar subject, is there a way to get rid of he bloatware that comes on the phone from Verizon? Would I have to be rooted to get rid of those?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Uninstall the Task Killer and let the OS Do it's Job.
Task Killer causes more problems that you can shake a stick at.

OP
S

Stubby

Reaction score
Uninstall the Task Killer and let the OS Do it's Job.
Task Killer causes more problems that you can shake a stick at.

I would remove the task killer. Typically, they cause more problems than the solve. Here is a link that may be of interest http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-applications/65483-task-killers-answer-google-developers.html

Mike

OK, after reading the link, I can certainly understand the logic behind removing the task killer. My only concern is why this just started happening. Something's causing them to open without me doing anything.

I mainly want to know what that is, and whether or not it's something that's consuming system resources, memory, or could be draining the battery faster than normal.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry if I misread. If you feel that perhaps your son changed something you could do a reset. Did you add any new apps prior to this issue? If so, remove it and see it that resolves the issue,

OP
S

Stubby

Reaction score
Sorry if I misread. If you feel that perhaps your son changed something you could do a reset. Did you add any new apps prior to this issue? If so, remove it and see it that resolves the issue,

Is there any way to do a back up of the apps / games that I know are working, so I don't lose any of those settings when I do a reset?

Ubermicro13

Reaction score
Their is an app called AutoStarts (I'm assuming you're rooted) that shows the triggers for your applications and gives you the ability to disable them from starting when that trigger is initiated. If you do chose to use this app please be careful when disabling system apps. (System apps are in yellow)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
S

Stubby

Reaction score
Their is an app called AutoStarts (I'm assuming you're rooted) that shows the triggers for your applications and gives you the ability to disable them from starting when that trigger is initiated. If you do chose to use this app please be careful when disabling system apps. (System apps are in yellow)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Nope, not rooted yet.

Like I said, this is my first foray into the smart phone world, and I didn't want to really start diving into the system, unless something needed more attention....kind of like this situation. I also didn't want to void my warranty, just in case the phone went belly up.

What's the best way to root my phone, with doing so in a manner that it could be easily un-rooted should I need to deal with Verizon for anything?

If you don't mind a phone call, I'd be interested in getting in touch with you, and going through this while we talk. It would be less risky if there was someone who had experience kind of looking over my shoulder, so to speak. If that's a possibility, PM me your phone #, and we can discuss further.

Thanks.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Apps opening up is just Android being Android, no cause for alarm. Just because an app is running doesn't mean its doing anything at all but can be idle.
If you want help rooting your phone, I'd be happy to help. I walk people through it all the time :)

DroidForums Junkie!!

repair7

Reaction score
stubby, i find task killer useful just to look, i let the droid OS handle the details. i really don't kill tasks as the way the OS works, it takes care of itself, lots things running in background all the time, is different from PC thast way

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Apps opening up is just Android being Android, no cause for alarm. Just because an app is running doesn't mean its doing anything at all but can be idle.

DroidForums Junkie!!

This is correct.

The reason your seeing apps load now and not previously is android is doing what's called 'pre-loading'....android is loading apps into memory it believes your going to use to make for an overall faster OS (it's intelligent over time at this). Unless the app is/has a service it is likely totally idle (not using any CPU) and android will close these idle pre-loaded apps when the OS needs the resources.

Task killers/managers are useful (Task Panel is awesome) for seeing what's going on, but killing apps will only use resources as android has to pre-load them again.

---------------------
fivefour on xda
@f1vefour on twitter

OP
S

Stubby

Reaction score

DroidForums Junkie!!

This is correct.

The reason your seeing apps load now and not previously is android is doing what's called 'pre-loading'....android is loading apps into memory it believes your going to use to make for an overall faster OS (it's intelligent over time at this). Unless the app is/has a service it is likely totally idle (not using any CPU) and android will close these idle pre-loaded apps when the OS needs the resources.

Task killers/managers are useful (Task Panel is awesome) for seeing what's going on, but killing apps will only use resources as android has to pre-load them again.

---------------------
fivefour on xda
@f1vefour on twitter

OK, more "good to know" information. I really appreciate the responses so far.

So, perhaps the OS is doing what it's supposed to do, but I'd still like to know what's initiating the loading of certain apps. Something like VZ Navigator, which had previously never even been opened has started popping up for no reason. I can't imagine why the OS would think that I'm about to use it.

Would the Auto Start app that was mentioned previously allow me to look at the open apps / services, and see what initiated it? I could dive down layer by layer, and possibly get to the root cause. If it's a benign service that started everything, perhaps due to a new parameter that was included in an update, all will be well, and I'll leave it alone. However, if I find that it was an app that was download recently, I'll know what I need to get rid of.

I know having tons of free memory isn't really a useful thing, but these "random apps" are using over 100Mb of memory when they're running. It's just kind of odd, plus I'm an engineer by trade, so I just can't leave something alone unless I know what's it's doing. :biggrin:

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
The only way to actually close these apps is go to the phone settings > applications > manage applications > click running tab > click desired app and hit the force stop button.

Even though these apps are using memory they should not be using CPU cycles, open the android web browser then open a few of tabs of various content heavy sites....you will see android kill off these pre-loaded backgrounded apps.

Your worrying about nothing IMHO, I mean this in a kind way.

---------------------
fivefour on xda
@f1vefour on twitter

OP
S

Stubby

Reaction score
The only way to actually close these apps is go to the phone settings > applications > manage applications > click running tab > click desired app and hit the force stop button.

Even though these apps are using memory they should not be using CPU cycles, open the android web browser then open a few of tabs of various content heavy sites....you will see android kill off these pre-loaded backgrounded apps.

Your worrying about nothing IMHO, I mean this in a kind way.

---------------------
fivefour on xda
@f1vefour on twitter

10-4...

I'll leave it as-is for now, stop using the Task Killer, and see if I notice any degradation in performance or battery life over the next few days. If not, then I can be reasonably confident that nothing fishy is happening.

aeg0814

Reaction score
Stubby,

I have experienced this same exact problem with my Droid Pro!!

Verizon Navigator, Skype, Music, Voice Command, My Verizon Mobile and others, things that I NEVER use are running in the background, and even if i go to settings>apps>running apps and kill them, the appear minutes later. I too am an engineer by trade, and in my mind a phone as smart as a droid should not be oddly starting apps that I feel are draining my battery.

Did you have any success uninstalling your ATK? Or did you ever find out what was causing it or did you just give up and let Droid do its thing. I'm just curious to know if I'm frustrated over nothing. Thanks!