Need some advice...

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Eliptic, May 11, 2010.

1. Eliptic

Eliptic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, first of all let me state that I am a converted iPhone user who really enjoyed the simple/easy customization that Cydia/Winterboard offer.... Icons, Lock screen, Backround, Boot Screen, Font, Text, etc. I have read some of the stickied posts here and have yet to find a specific answer.

Bascially what I want to know is this:

-Do I need to root and install a new ROM in order to achieve similar results as far as visual customization goes?

-Is there an app similar in function to Winterboard that will manage all of my themes, and other downloaded features?

I only wanted to ask these questions in one forum, and apollogize if this isn't the proper place to seek help. Thanks in advance for any help offered. Ive been browsing the boards for a week or two in anticipation of getting my new device. There are alot of helpful people here and this is easily the best Android community that I've come across.

2. JCo352

JCo352 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes rooting is the way to go, and for the app, get Rom Manager.

3. Eliptic

Eliptic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you much. Just got home from work so too late to start the process now, but Ill get started on it in the morning :)

Just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a simpler way to acheive what I was looking for while I am still getting used to the device.

4. starscream

starscream Decepticon Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    welcome to the Android world..

im not familiar with the iphone theming options or apps but form what I can gather you might be looking for a "home replacement" app rooting is not necessary for most theming options, however some things can only be achieved once rooted.. but there are plenty of "non-root" apps that will let you customize your phone.. check out Better Home, A Home, PandaHome, Home++, and GDK
    BetterCut for icons, I like Zedge for wallpapers and ringtones.
    there are more but from my experience these are the best.. (IMO)

5. starscream

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with JCo352 that rooting is the way to go however getting your feet wet with some non-root experimenting first couldn't hurt

since i've been rooted (about January) I haven't touched the home replacement apps ROM themes are just way better

6. Eliptic

Eliptic New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    "Home replacement" sounds like a pretty accurate term to describe what Im looking for.

Im guessing Ill play around with the apps you suggested before taking the plunge and rooting. While Im computer literate, Im by no means a programmer or coder.

I read Matt3ws(?) tut and it seems simple enough. Performace, while important to me, is secondary to style on my device right now. Im sure once I go down the rabbit hole and join the rest of you Ill change my stance lol

7. starscream

Ratings:
    +0
    yup.. I fell right down that rabbit hole and got addicted to "eat me's" and "Drink me's" quick lol