Need screen capture tool or key combo

jktechwriter

Reaction score
I did a search of the forum but didn't find anything - sorry if this is a duplicate post.

Does anyone know of a screen capture app that works on the Xoom? Does Honeycomb/Xoom have a key-combo to take a screen capture? (The Samsung Tab has one where you press the Power and Return button at the same time and a snapshot is taken.)

I'm writing a book on the Xoom and will be more than happy to provide a thank you/acknowledgement to the person(s) who can help me resolve this issue - without screenshots the book isn't going to do too well!

Thanks in advance,

Jim

OP
J

jktechwriter

Reaction score
List of screen captures tools I've tried

Just an addenidum - these apps DO NOT work:

*screenshot (from GIKSoft)
* Screen Capture (from tomorrowkey)
* Screen Capture (from CJR)

Newton122189

Reaction score
If you root then drocap2 is an option that has always worked on my other devices, I wont be rooting my xoom until after the 4G upgrade though

OP
J

jktechwriter

Reaction score
No rooting allowed

Hi, Newton.

Yes, I 've seen a few articles on rooting the Xoom to allow for this, but I can't root my Xoom either due to the 4G update. My publisher also prefers that I not root the device as they prefer books to be based on the default build/device that a reader is likely to own.

Thanks for the app reference, though...

Jim

Newton122189

Reaction score
Hi, Newton.

Yes, I 've seen a few articles on rooting the Xoom to allow for this, but I can't root my Xoom either due to the 4G update. My publisher also prefers that I not root the device as they prefer books to be based on the default build/device that a reader is likely to own.

Thanks for the app reference, though...

Jim

well you can take screenshots using the android sdk, its not an app, but it is something that anyone can download without rooting their device, so that may suit your needs, its definitely a complicated work around but its the only "official" way that i know of

first thing i found when googling http://www.androidcentral.com/taking-screenshots-without-root

WillC

Reaction score
In /system/bin I saw screencap and screenshot listed. Could that indicate that there is some undocumented method of taking screen shots?

OP
J

jktechwriter

Reaction score
Possible?

Hi, Will... thanks for posting.

I think it's very strange that the Honeycomb devs wouldn't build in some sort of method for taking screen caps. You're discovery of that folder makes sense, doesn't it?

The Galaxy Tab (which I have) had native screen capture ability built-in - you press the Power/Sleep button at the same time as the Return/Back button and "click" - screen cap!

But I've tried various button combinations with the Xoom and so far... no luck.

Jim

OP
J

jktechwriter

Reaction score
Solution found

It's not the easiest way to take a screen capture, and it only saves in PNG format, but here's how I did it (I can't take credit for it - a dev friend of mine helped me get through the errors that popped up here and there). I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit

1. Installed latest version of Java
2. Installed latest version of Java SDK
3. Installed Android SDK
4. Within Android SDK, selected Android 3.0 build.

5. Opened up command prompt and jumped to the \tools directory for the SDK app (for me, it was c:\programfiles(x86)\android\android-sdk\tools

6. Ran the ddms.bat file
7. Got an error pop-up saying Xoom driver couldn't be found.
8. Googled "Vista Xoom Driver" and found the official driver installation program at

USB and PC Charging Drivers - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

9. Restarted SDK after driver installed.
10. Ran ddms.bat (see 6 above)
11. Attached Xoom (a lot started to happen in the ddms.bat screen)

12. Clicked the Device menu- select Screen Capture... BOOM! Done!

3083joe

Reaction score
there was a key combo for screen shots on galaxy tab, sure to think theres one on xoom

OP
J

jktechwriter

Reaction score
No button combo

I placed a call to Motorola tech support and they confirmed there is no button combination for screen capture.