Need new phone.

Twista89

Reaction score
Ok guys I got a quick question. I recently spilled some water onto the speaker on my droid 1 at the top of the phone and now it is impossible for me to hear someone talk unless its completely silent in the room or i switch to speaker phone. I have a warranty for the phone but I was thinking about just upgrading to like a droid 2 or something. My contract hasnt expired so what do you guys think I can get verizon to do so I can get the droid 2 instead of like a refurbished droid 1.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Doubtful anything like that would be done as this is an insurance issue now, not warranty.

DroidForums junkie!

tommyb38

Reaction score
My opinion is that you wait until you are 20 months into your contract and you re-up just like any honest person would do. If you have insurance, make a claim and wait until your contract is up for renewal and then get a new phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are watermarks in the phone, they can tell if you have done something like dropped it in water. So they don't owe you anything. If you have insurance then you can get another phone.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Correct! Its the first thing I check.

There are watermarks in the phone, they can tell if you have done something like dropped it in water. So they don't owe you anything. If you have insurance then you can get another phone.

DroidForums junkie!

OP
T

Twista89

Reaction score
dang, Ive heard about alot of the refurbished phones being crap but Ive also read stories of people being upgraded to the D2 so I was just seeing if it was any way I could do this as well. I only spilled water on the top part of the phone right where the speaker is so I dont think it set off any water marks. The speaker still works as well its just very very low now and I cant really hear anything the person is saying.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Depends on Asurion and what they have. Don't let them try to downgrade you to a Devour or an Eris though! I know it sucks but, I urge you to do the right thing.

dang, Ive heard about alot of the refurbished phones being crap but Ive also read stories of people being upgraded to the D2 so I was just seeing if it was any way I could do this as well. I only spilled water on the top part of the phone right where the speaker is so I dont think it set off any water marks. The speaker still works as well its just very very low now and I cant really hear anything the person is saying.

DroidForums junkie!

OP
T

Twista89

Reaction score
Depends on Asurion and what they have. Don't let them try to downgrade you to a Devour or an Eris though! I know it sucks but, I urge you to do the right thing.

DroidForums junkie!

Well the water marks are still good so Im just going to go to verizon tomorrow and tell them the speaker went bad. Its been a couple of days since this happened so Im hoping they can do something for me.

someone can help?????????
hey,sorry,i cant help

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

People don't go on the internet and say, "Just received my replacement. It's a refurb and it works great." You only see the complaints.

So check to see if the watermarks are ok. If they are call Verizon and tell them your phone's situation. Be happy to get a refurb.

Truthfully since this is something that was accidentally caused by you, you shouldn't get anything. Be thankful for what you do get.

SquintyOS

Reaction score
I'm going to give you some advice but I will take no blame if this screws your phone up. When I was starting out college, I jumped into a pool with my Moto Slvr and was unknowingly in the water with it in my trunks pockets for about to hours. Just like everyone does when ANYTHING happens to there electronics, they're like "Oh no! My <please insert electronic here> has <insert typical accident here>." Yes. It did happen to me. Yes I did freak. but did I get a new phone? Nope. A friend of mine told me to do what he did with PC parts when he was in college- bake them. Kinda weird but works.

Instructions (for the noobs)
1. Do NOT turn on phone.
2. Pull out battery.
3. Place phone screen down on oven rack. (Do NOT put battery or the battery door in with it.)
4. Set oven on lowest possible temperature.
5. Bake in intervals of 20 minutes with periodical checkups
6. After 3-4 intervals of baking set phone (still face down) on warm surface over night.

Yes. I know you think I'm crazy but both phones are similar materials and on the lowest temp, doesn't burn. (I've had to do it with my Droid recently, it worked) and when I did it with my slvr, the thing worked for 4 more months until dying from software malfunction.

Hopefully this will help you ou.

Cheers,
Squinty

OP
T

Twista89

Reaction score
I dont know how good this will work seeing as my phone never turned off nor did I ever turn it off and its been 3 days since I spilled the water on it. If it was something drying could fix I think it would of fixed it by now.

OP
T

Twista89

Reaction score
Getting a replacement droid with original warranty...the guy was real cool...even noticed I had my droid rooted...