Need massive help

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by burton6431, Aug 4, 2010.

1. burton6431

burton6431 New Member

Sorry if this is the wrong section but i need some help, let me start off by saying im not new to computers but i am new to this. Yesterday i went from stock 2.1, used RSD to goto 2.0.1 rooted, then went back to 2.1, now im using OTA 2.2 stock. Ok what i want to do know is run your bugless beast v0.4 with the smoked glass theme (with no tabs). how should i go about doing so? now some of my questions are:
    1. whats a rom, is the rom v0.4 or is it smoked glass?
    2. whats a kernel? what do they do and any suggestions on one to run
    3. whats nandroid? and what sb recovery? what do they do, where can i get them, do i need them for what i want to do? i did everything yesterday without them.
    Now heres my deal, i understand how to get v0.4 to work on my phone i go into recovery mode, wipe, then install zip, this worked for the most part, EXCEPT on any bugless beast froyo OS i tried to use, i wipe, then goto instal zip, it starts to load up the i get the error code "E: signature verification failed" then installation is aborted, so i have to reboot my previous OS. whats going wrong and how can i fix it, also once i get this to work how do i install the theme? i really need some help lol thanks.
  2. moviemogul

moviemogul New Member

You're stuck dude. You shouldn't have gone to OTA 2.2. Now you gotta wait until that gets rooted.
  3. ChugIt

ChugIt New Member

Why would you quote him?
  4. moviemogul

moviemogul New Member

What does it matter? Trying to pad your post count I guess...
  5. burton6431

burton6431 New Member

i cant run RSD and go back to 2.0?
  6. droidilac

droidilac New Member

Im not sure if you can run RSD again..... as for the other questions....

SP recovery is what your in when you are wiping your phone and doing the "install.zip"

A nandroid is a "back up image" you can flash via SP recovery in case something doesnt go right....

GOod Luck
  7. wricks

wricks Premium Member Premium Member

Don't know if this will work, but you can go here:

Peter Alfonso: Downloads

and dl the SBF file "ESE81 SPRecovery" and flash using RSDLite.
    Then do a nandroid backup to save what you have. Then you can install anything you want (ROMs, Kernels, themes, etc.).

However, I would first (maybe even before any of the above) go to the hacking section and read, read, read and read some more. You can avoid a lot of issues with a little knowledge.

BTW - Welcome to the forumdancedroid
  8. wricks

wricks Premium Member Premium Member

Better question - where did you get the 2.2 update? Did you get it OTA or install it from a download?
  9. Invader DJ

Invader DJ New Member

1. The ROM is Bugless Beast 0.4, Smoked Glass is a theme on top of that
    2. I'm not 100% sure of what a kernel is (ie don't know the technical definition) but a kernel is what determines if you can overclock, if certain things like wireless tethering will work, things like that. Bugless Beast comes with a custom kernel that will allow overclocking and wireless tether. Stock Android has the stock kernel which doesn't allow this.
    3. A nandroid is a backup. It is basically a series of folders with files in them and some ROMs use this to install the ROM. So rather than install an update.zip you would restore the Nandroid backup and get the custom ROM. I don't think many people use that way anymore though, I mostly see update.zips now.

If you have SPRecovery (you'll know you have it because when you boot into recovery it will say SPRecovery) you can install Bugless Beast. As far as I know, 2.2 did not eliminate the ability to do this as long as SPRecovery (or Clockwork depending on which you use) is installed on the phone.

What you want to do is download Bugless Beast, put it on the root of your SD card (meaning no folders, just right on the top level of the card) and name it update.zip (if it isn't already named update.zip).
    From there shutdown your phone. Hold X and power at the same time. Release the power button after a few seconds but keep holding X. This will bring you into SPRecovery or Clockwork Recovery. Once you are there go to install, click allow update.zip install, and then install the update.zip. After that just back out until you see the Reboot phone option and reboot.

If you don't have SPRecovery or Clockwork this won't work. Best way to get SPRecovery is to install it using RSD Lite, which it seems like you know how to do already. If not go to How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog and follow this guide. Just be sure to follow the instructions carefully, this has a huge chance of bricking your phone.

Again, this is all dependent on whether 2.2 removed this way of installing custom, rooted ROMs. As far as I know, it has not.
  10. burton6431

burton6431 New Member

ok so i just used RSD and reflashed my phone back to version 2.0.1, now do i have to go to version 2.1 before i can goto BB v0.4? and how can i install SPRecovery? how do i put the theme on top of the rom, im using androzip on my phone for files, do i install v0.4 go into androzip look up the theme and install it that way? is it the same way for kernels?
  11. burton6431

burton6431 New Member

alright just installed SPR thanks for the link.
  12. moviemogul

moviemogul New Member

You really shouldn't be messing with these things without any type of reading first. If you can't even Google "What is a ROM", then I wish nothing but a brick for your phone.
  13. chevycam94

chevycam94 Steel Droid ROM Developer Developer

Ok, I see people not telling him how to get his phone rooted again. He not "stuck". Here is what I have done, multiple times, because it always works:

1: Use RSDLite 4.6 to flash the 2.0.1 or 2.1 (ESE81) SBF to your phone. This will reflash everything, baseband, system, kernel, everything, back to the factory image (of the one you chose to use). I would suggest the ESE81.

2: Search the forum for the download link to the "SPRecovery on ESE81". It is also an SBF, but the file size is MUCH smaller. This is the custom recovery that you will need to make NANDROID backups and do wiping when changing ROM's.

3: Flash the recovery SBF from step 2 using RSDLite.

4: Reboot the phone, and you now have STOCK 2.1, with custom recovery. From here, download the ROM that you want, in this case, Bugless Beast v0.4.

5: Also download the FRF84B Official leak. Make sure you get the one thats rooted already.

6: Put both the BB and FRF84B files on your SD card, in the root of the card (no sub folders).

7: Rename the FRF84B file to "update.zip". Wipe DATA, and CACHE 3 times using the "factory reset" option in recovery. Then, using the option "flash .zip from SD card", flash the update.zip file.

8: Reboot. When you get to the Android Setup Wizard, you can reboot your phone, and go back into recovery by holding the X (on the physical keyboard), while booting up.

9: Now that your back in recovery, you can mount the SD card to your computer, or take it out of the phone and use an adapter if you want, and delete the FRF84B file (the one you just renamed to "update.zip". Now rename the OTHER file, the BB v0.4 file, also, to "update.zip".

10: Flash THAT file with the same option as the first time, and reboot again when its finished. When you get to the Andoid Setup Wizard, just set it up, go through the prompts, and your good to go.

11: (extra VERY helpful steps) I would also suggest installing the latest baseband update C_01.43.01_P. Better signal conversion, quality, and slightly better data speeds.

If you want more info on what seems to work best for me, as I am a dedicated BB fan, check my signature below. The screenshots are from my phone running what is posted just above it. My signature always contains an active list of EXACTLY what I use and what version of each component I am running. I am up to date with the latest versions about 98% of the time.

Bugless Beast v0.4:
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...t-v0-4-android-2-2-frf84b-fully-deodexed.html

Latest Baseband update C_01.43.01_P, ESE81 SBF, ESE81 SPRecovery SBF, and other VERY useful files and downloads:
    Peter Alfonso: Downloads

Another note, I would suggest switching your recovery to ClockworkMod Recovery. There are far more options, and Clockwork is always being updated, SPRecovery is no longer being worked on. Its last version was 0.99.3b, and that was quite some time ago. Download ROM Manager from the Market (free), and use it to flash the latest version (from my sig) to your phone, and use THAT recovery to do all your work in.
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  14. Invader DJ

Invader DJ New Member

You probably didn't need to flash to 2.0.1.

Since you are already on 2.0.1, you should be able to root the old way. If you can find DMUpdater (I found a link DroidMod Updater - DroidMod for DMUpdater but I'm not sure if the download still works) you can root and install SPRecovery using an Android app. Just download the .apk file, install it on your phone, and then open it and follow the prompts.

If that link doesn't work, then just follow the instructions in the link I posted earlier. It has easy instructions and even video to help you.
  15. chevycam94

chevycam94 Steel Droid ROM Developer Developer

I like my way better. :icon_ banana: lol

But I have not tried the DMUpdater app yet. I just have a hard time trusting the "one-click roots". Just seems TOO simple. I want to be involved in what goes on with my phone, so I will take the LONG way to go about it, but I LEARN stuff in the process. One-click roots, in my opinion, allow someone with NO knowledge, to blindly walk in, and do stuff, and they STILL have no idea what happened, or what to do if something goes wrong. Sure, its quick, but you dont know anything new after its done, compared to before you started.

Im all about the knowledge, and thats why my posting above was so long. Its filled with knowledge. I want others that come to this forum to walk away KNOWING what they are doing and talking about. After all, isnt that the point of a forum and asking questions? :icon_ banana:
  16. burton6431

burton6431 New Member

you should def stop being such a dick man, chevy cam thank you so much i have accomplished a great amount yesterday, im now running bugless beast v0.4 with smoked glass theme, and chevys 1.25ghz LV kernel, im running 1.41 for a band cus when i tried 1.43 i got an error but i dont know it may have been my fault, i have 1 more question for you im using SPRecovery and since SPR is on the actual phone if i need to switch phones which i will be doing friday (power button broke on current one) how can i get everything onto my new one, will i have to reflash all the roms onto the new one or can i somehow recover everything? also how can i get APK upload to work so i can keep my apps? thanks
  17. moviemogul

moviemogul New Member

I agree to a point. When the questions are legitimate...yes. Then a forum is great. When someone has a tech question, yeah.

NOT when someone asks, "What is the difference between a ROM and a Kernel?" That's just lazy. I would bet that ALL Americans have some sort of knowledge of Google's existence.

From the OP:

Simple answers ALL done with a simple Google Search...

If we give a full diatribe of How To Root a Droid to every shlub that asks, this forum would be riddled with the same question over and over again.

Now, giving the OP a link to the requested information on the board would be fine, and would save a pointless thread like this one from staying at the top.

I've been on forums for many years, and OP is in my Top 10 of unnecessary thread makers, lol.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  18. raven1911

raven1911 New Member

I think being more polite and just providing a helpful link would have been more helpful. You bit the guys head off. Totally uncalled for. I understand your points though about the same question being asked over and over, but there are better ways of handling this situation than the way you handled it.
  19. moviemogul

moviemogul New Member

I don't think this guy can understand the concept of being handed a link. Completely disagree that it was uncalled for. OP need someone to hold his hand through this, and all the resources are here on this site. Even to OP's admission: "I'm not computer illiterate, but I'm new to this". So, a simple search couldn't have sufficed?
  20. burton6431

burton6431 New Member

your obviously pissed for no good reason i respect you and all but you have no clue where im coming from so i dont understand why your judgement is so quick, first of all i understand what a rom is when i asked that question i didnt mean the basics i meant what rom was i going to be building on the v0.4 or the smoked glass since i wasnt sure, ive watched all the droid review youtube videos but was getting stuck without SPR thats the answer i was wanting, order and steps to that order such as wipe, flash, wipe, flash, etc. You actually gave me an answer in the last post so thanks and from my understanding if i was to judge you as you judged me i would say your a ***** with a 34 post count, and joined a few months before me so you must be an einstein on this forum... but i didnt say that as a first reaction now did i.