Need ICS help STAT

DroidUser10000

Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I got a replacement Maxx through Asurion that is brand new and came with ICS already loaded. At first there were some hiccups but it seems to have evened out. My question is: do I need to do a factory reset, or can I assume it was installed properly at the factory? I have to return my old phone soon (has to be in the mail Saturday), so if I should do a reset I was hoping/needing to do it tonight to give me time to switch everything from my old phone. Can anyone advise me as to whether it is needed if ICS came pre-installed on a brand new Maxx? Part of me thinks it may only be necessary if ICS is installed when you already have content on it. Thank you in advance.

aarong03

Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I got a replacement Maxx through Asurion that is brand new and came with ICS already loaded. At first there were some hiccups but it seems to have evened out. My question is: do I need to do a factory reset, or can I assume it was installed properly at the factory? I have to return my old phone soon (has to be in the mail Saturday), so if I should do a reset I was hoping/needing to do it tonight to give me time to switch everything from my old phone. Can anyone advise me as to whether it is needed if ICS came pre-installed on a brand new Maxx? Part of me thinks it may only be necessary if ICS is installed when you already have content on it. Thank you in advance.

Yes, you can do a factory reset. Remove the card prior to doing also just to be safe. It will help clear up any problems with ICS on the phone.

OP
D

DroidUser10000

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I mean I know I CAN, but my question is, should I? Can I assume it is stable and was done correctly at the factory with a factory reset after installation? The battery drained pretty fast at first, the drain isn't as fast now but it's not as good as it was on my other MAXX that had GB on it. For battery use I have:
Screen - 65%
Voice calls -14%
Android OS - 10%
Phone idle - 3%
Cell standby - 2%
Android system -2%
Browser - 2%
Wi-Fi - 2%

aarong03

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. I mean I know I CAN, but my question is, should I? Can I assume it is stable and was done correctly at the factory with a factory reset after installation? The battery drained pretty fast at first, the drain isn't as fast now but it's not as good as it was on my other MAXX that had GB on it. For battery use I have:
Screen - 65%
Voice calls -14%
Android OS - 10%
Phone idle - 3%
Cell standby - 2%
Android system -2%
Browser - 2%
Wi-Fi - 2%
Looks pretty good. The screen will suck up the most of the battery. I have mine set at 25%, and goes off in 30 sec. But you should do a reset anyways. I did one before and after I installed the ICS update. My maxx is great.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If it came with ICS installed then you really should not have to do an FDR. There are no conflicts from a previous OS (gingerbread) so you are fine.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Don't forget to make sure you set your data to LTE/CDMA. Go to settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA. Set screen to auto or 25-30% will also save a lot on battery. Also enabling battery extender in Smart Actions will save battery.

OP
D

DroidUser10000

Reaction score
Anyone else not have sound when playing YouTube videos? My volume is all the way up but no dice.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Try going into you tube in app manager (settings to apps to all apps) and clear cache. See if that helps.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And it is possible that, like aarong suggested, maybe an FDR will help. You would think that Motorola would have done a clean install of ICS but you never know and if they didn't then it could give you problems.

OP
D

DroidUser10000

Reaction score
That solved it! One other issue I had is Motocast isn't syncing properly. I add albums (for example, Fleetwood Mac's Tango In The Night) but it still only displays the tracks I have on there from their Live album and says 9 songs available. Tried clearing the cache, this is probably a different issue, likely related to Motocast?

OP
D

DroidUser10000

Reaction score
I think I'm going to begrudgingly do a factory reset. I don't really trust Motorola to do anything right anymore

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
It can't hurt and easier to do one now before you have everything perfectly set up and organized.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Don't forget to make sure you set your data to LTE/CDMA. Go to settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA. Set screen to auto or 25-30% will also save a lot on battery. Also enabling battery extender in Smart Actions will save battery.

Does this really make a difference? I got a replacement phone almost 2 weeks ago and forgot to do that until I just saw your post. I've been getting good battery life, including 40 hours since my last charge. I'm at 10% battery now.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you are like me and only turn on data when you are actually using it, you may not notice. It is also possible that with the M's that Motorola was able to make it so the global data mode works more efficiently and effectively. In which case, it may not matter. With the Razr's and other ICS updated phones, global mode does not work well.

PurpleSunday

Reaction score
If you are like me and only turn on data when you are actually using it, you may not notice. It is also possible that with the M's that Motorola was able to make it so the global data mode works more efficiently and effectively. In which case, it may not matter. With the Razr's and other ICS updated phones, global mode does not work well.

That's probably it. I have data off at home, work, and while driving. I usually charge my Maxx every other day.