need help !!!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by krise11385, Jan 29, 2010.

1. krise11385

krise11385 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok so I downloade the zip for the bugless beauty n yesterday I installed the newest version of the smoked glass. I know after I download I have to move it to the nandroid folder but wen I open it to copy there's three folders they are boot meta inf and system do I copy all three to the nandroid folder? Thanks in advance

2. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Kris,

The short answer is yes.

The longer answer that may help you understand is to make your own advanced backup copies of your current setup, and compare/study yours against what you are putting onto your sd card. The new nandroids will have the same directory structure, be in the same location as your backups.

On the sd card you will have the nandroid directory. Under this will be a directory/folder, with the name being the backup xxx-bds-yyyyyy or something. The bds or whatever correspond to boot, data, system, misc etc, so you should have a tar file for each letter in the bds name under this xxx-bds-yyyyy directory/folder.

Craig

3. krise11385

krise11385 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks craig I think I'm gna go ahead n try to install this will be my second rom installed by myself . Idk wat id do without this site. Which do u think in ur opionoin is the best ?the first one I had was the smoked glass overclocked to 600 n now I'm using the one oveclocked to 800 n I don't see much of a diffrence but a friend of mine is using the bugless beast at 800 n he says its the best so far but I like the 2.1 laucncher idk any input would be much appreciated . Thanks again bro

4. krise11385

krise11385 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh ya n another quick question now that I'm already rooted is there any way I can possibly brick if screw up installn the new rom ? Cuz I was sweating yesterday wen I installed the new rom . I have to this all at my public librayry cuz my laptop I garbage n my wifi is down at my house the ppl there prob thought I was a wierdo repeating steps outloud to myself for the install lol . Thanks again I'm still a newb n I learn so much everyday from ppl like u on this site .

5. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    you won't brick your phone...

6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Kris,

The overclock can be done yourself fairly easily to any rom. There are instructions here and over at alldroid. And I have run all of the overclock kernels up to 1 gig. The speed increases are not significant from one level to the next (but certainly from 550 to 1 gig) so my answer would be to pick the rom that has the goodies that you want, get it going, and then you can play with the oc, later. With the ability to do the advanced nandroid on your own phone, it makes it easy to progress in steps, trying other "features".

This has been my approach, as there is no way I am willing to give up the mt browser or mt gallery with advanced photo editing. I am one of those odd ducks who really diggs pinc/zoom:)

Craig

7. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    All I can tell you is that I haven't tried the Smoked Glass ROM yet, but I am currently using Bugless Beauty 0.8.3 and have been using it for a few days now because its by far my most favorite ROM that I've used...I've also had it overclocked to 1GHz most of that time and it runs SOO smooth and navigates through the web so fluidly for me, I love it. And I highly doubt that I will be changing anytime soon. Before that I had the sholes 1.2 ROM and it was also a very high quality ROM in my opinion, but it had its little bugs and glitches that came with it. But as soon as I booted up the Beauty ROM the first thing I noticed was how smooth everything seemed to feel...and it wasn't even overclocked at that time...maybe 600MHz but that was it whenever I first installed. It doesn't have the 2.1 launcher like you said but to me, it makes up for that. And usually the 2.1 launchers all have their bugs anyway...But I'm just sayin that the Beauty ROM 0.8.3 truly deserves the "Bugless" title...

8. krise11385

krise11385 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Could u tell me the diffrense between the beauty n beast ? I already downloaded the beast n I'm gna try it later . I have to wait to get kids off the bus to go to the librayry so I can read the install steps . I don't have them memorized yet . But I have been installn these without connectn my phone to the comp all I need the comp for is to read the install steps . Thanks guys I really apprecite u helpn the newb out .

9. krise11385

krise11385 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh ya n craig I really am feelin the pinch and zoom too . Better than double tappn :)

10. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Kris,

The easest way to understand the differences is to print/compare on line the first page of each rom, where the goodies will be listed. Then make a yes no likey list for yourself and make a decision.

The hardest part is sorting out some of the known glitches that may or may not be fixed in the particular rom. For example, wifi drives a lot of rom development. With wifi comes potential other issues if the rom does not include the patch or other workaround. Same with the 2.1 launcher.
    The actual thread will contain issues known to happen.

Once your list of important things is made, then possibly ask in the thread how are they working, if you cannot find yourself by reading the thread. It really is kinda head spinning right now. Those of us who have been installing since weeks ago, have it a little easier. Just make your nandroid backups before you install of your current system. I then install the rom and make a nandroid calling it joesrom-all-xxxx-yyy. This tells me it's Joes rom, with all of the intended goodies. I then start making whatever mods, overclocking, disabling apps, etc. Then I make a new nandroid and call it joesrom-final-xxxx-yyy. This tells me it joes rom, with the changes I like. Move them off the phone onto your pc, and organize. Or if you want to stay pc-less and have the sd card room, mve them around over there and organize. If you want to reinstall joesrom with all of the original goodies, move it back to your nandroid subdirectory and reinstall.

All of this makes 'sperimenting a lot easier:)

Craig

11. krise11385

krise11385 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i tried to install it n i cant figure it out

i tried doin it the same way i did the other rom . i did wat everyone said n copied all three to the root of the sd card then wen i went into it there were those three . idk wat im doin wrong before i jus had to click on smoked glass n that was it . can some one plz send me a step by step for doing this without a comp cuz thats how i have been doin it . my email krise11385gmail.com thanks to neone who can help me figure this ouyt. amd to all of who helped this newb with all the info thus far

12. blake2050

blake2050 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    First of all you said you downloaded the .zip that has boot meta inf and system. Thats not what you want. If you are going to use nandroid you need to download the .rar file that has (data.tar, system.tar, boot.img, etc..) HERE

Once you have it downloaded then extract the folder and place it into /sdcard/nandroid folder. Reboot your phone into recovery mode then do a restore from that folder.

As far as the roms go I personaly felt like the Bugless beast was a better package since it included things like wifi v2 and 800oc. It too has the mt browser and gallery. Thats what I am running right now and love it.