Need help with WI-FI

IUFAN87

Reaction score
Just got a new Vizio 60" Razor HDTV. Its supposed to be WI-FI capable. So I'm thinking GREAT, I have WI-FI tether on my razr maxx hd. So I go through the setup on the TV and it wont pick up the wi-fi from my phone. So I go to Vizio online chat support and tell them the problem. They tell me the TV has to connect to a wi-fi router or ethernet cable. So whats the difference? How is the wi-fi from my phone different than the wi-fi from a router? :blink:

Anyone know how I can get it to work?

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
i have a wifi tv and mine works fine. you are using the mobile hotspot correct? plugging your phone to the tv with a usb cable wont work.

OP
I

IUFAN87

Reaction score
i have a wifi tv and mine works fine. you are using the mobile hotspot correct? plugging your phone to the tv with a usb cable wont work.

Yes I am trying to connect to the TV via mobile hotspot. Not trying to use a usb cable. My laptop connects just fine to the wifi hotspot from my phone.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes I am trying to connect to the TV via mobile hotspot. Not trying to use a usb cable. My laptop connects just fine to the wifi hotspot from my phone.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you just said. I thought you were trying to connect the TV to your phone. In which case your phone would need be a mobile hotspot. You said connect to the TV. If that's the case try iMediashare.

OP
I

IUFAN87

Reaction score
Maybe I'm not understanding what you just said. I thought you were trying to connect the TV to your phone. In which case your phone would need be a mobile hotspot. You said connect to the TV. If that's the case try iMediashare.

My phone is a wifi hotspot. It wirelessly tethers to my laptop just fine. The problem im having is that my Vizio smart tv doesnt see the wifi signal from my phone. When I go into network setup on the tv, it doesnt show any wireless access points on the screen when the tether is turned on on my phone. That app looks like it will be a good deal if I can get the wifi connection set up between my tv and phone.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
My phone is a wifi hotspot. It wirelessly tethers to my laptop just fine. The problem im having is that my Vizio smart tv doesnt see the wifi signal from my phone. When I go into network setup on the tv, it doesnt show any wireless access points on the screen when the tether is turned on on my phone. That app looks like it will be a good deal if I can get the wifi connection set up between my tv and phone.

I guess you don't have WiFi nearby based on your explanation, other than your phone's hotspot. Are you using the inbuilt tethering app or a 3rd party app? I admit to taking wild shots here. I use an app on my phone that the TV sees but honestly I'm not certain the phone could provide enough bandwidth for the TV to get a good signal. Even on 4G.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
I'm not certain the phone could provide enough bandwidth for the TV to get a good signal. Even on 4G.

it would depend on how good your 4g connection is, i get 25-35m average and i can stream hd movies on cinema now.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2

here are some help pages i found via google Ask.com - What's Your Question?

OP
I

IUFAN87

Reaction score
Update: Well, at some point I think my wifi transmitter may have died on my phone. I am almost positive I was able to tether to my laptop after I tried to tether to my tv. Anyway, it will no longer tether to my laptop. It usually doesnt show up on the screen of my laptop as an available network, and if it does it has no signal. So I fired up my old Droid X and sure enough it shows full signal on my laptop AND it connects to my tv.

So....... heres my delema, at some point, I dont remember when, I deleted the verizon tethering and mobile hotspot app from my apps list on my maxx hd. I was thinking that since I'm rooted and and have a third party wifi tether app, that I wouldnt need it any longer. Thing is, is that it still shows up in the settings menu. I am unable to locate the app in the market to download it again. Anyone know where I can find it? I dont know if deleting it messed up my ability to tether? I thought about subscribing to tethering from verizon just long enough to test and see if there is a hardware issue with the phone.

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
Your carrier must love you, or NOT! ;)

im going to say not lol, especially when they see the 2-300g a month i transfer :icon_ devil:
if they kill unlimited, ill be looking for the nearest bridge to jump off lol

OP
I

IUFAN87

Reaction score
pulled this off mine from the system/app folder with root explorer http://www.mediafire.com/?wyw59bzjfmkgl5y

Thanks, but it wont install. Downloaded it to my phone, got to the install screen where it asks "Do you want to install this application?" "It will get access to:"

Under that it is blank, except for cancel and install. Click install and it says "X App not installed." So idk what to do.

Long story short the tether is working on my maxx now and it tethers to my laptop as well as my TV. Only problem is it wont connect. Whenever I try to connect it just gives a msg that it cant connect and to check ethernet, wifi signal, etc. It has full strength. So any ideas on what to try?

Last edited:

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
get root explorer or similar, look in root/system/app and see if the hotspot app is still there. if so you could re install from it.
just curious, do you pay for the hotspot or did you hack it? if you arent paying for it, likely something is set up wrong in your hack or it broke some system file(s).

Last edited:
OP
I

IUFAN87

Reaction score
get root explorer or similar, look in root/system/app and see if the hotspot app is still there. if so you could re install from it.
just curious, do you pay for the hotspot or did you hack it? if you arent paying for it, likely something is set up wrong in your hack or it broke some system file(s).

Looked in there and it's gone. Dont understand why I can access it from the settings menu but the app icon is gone. I went as far as to do a factory data reset on it this morning, thinking it would come back. But apparently after a system app is un-installed its gone for good. The phone was rooted and one setting was changed with sqlite editor to open up the hotspot. So frustrating, I just wanna wifi with my tv and my new yamaha avr receiver. ugh