Need help with updating to .596 from .588

Dudenell

Reaction score
Alright please excuse me as I'm new. I read a tutorial on how to update to gingerbread via this site when the first leak came and now I'm totally clueless as to updating to .596

So far what I know is that im on .588 and I'm on radio .12p

Please forgive me as i'm not good with terms and don't know very many when it comes to android rooting / hacking / updating.

From what I understand I'm suppose to download update.zip
place it in my root directory of the phone, then boot into recovery mode and update.

Well I cannot get into recovery mode... I hit the home + power button when starting up and get the exclamation but it refuses to do anything after I hit the search key (sticks at screen). Any ideas?

Edit: OK so update. I figured out they changed it to the power button for select / volume keys to enter but I'm getting an error on install saying update failed. any ideas on what to do now?

leonozug

Reaction score
Ok man are you rooted .588 or the stock .588 build? I take it you are on the stock .588...if you tried doing it in stock recovery the reason it failed is because you have to be on bone stock 2.2.1 froyo for that update.zip to work. You would have to SBF your X and do a factory reset for it to work properly. Your phone will be like new out of the box afterwards and that update.zip will work fine.

Your other option is using Gingerbreak 1.2 to root your stock .588, then install the Droid 2 bootstrap and go in to clockwork recovery and install the deodexed or the odexed rooted zips found on the Mydroidworld site. That would probably be easier in case you have never SBF'd your phone before.

bcc12345

Reaction score

So in this case (similar to mine).. would waiting for 6/1 manual download be advisable? Or would we not be able to download it even then?
Thanks!
(assuming we're on non-rooted .588)

OP
D

Dudenell

Reaction score
Ok man are you rooted .588 or the stock .588 build? I take it you are on the stock .588...if you tried doing it in stock recovery the reason it failed is because you have to be on bone stock 2.2.1 froyo for that update.zip to work. You would have to SBF your X and do a factory reset for it to work properly. Your phone will be like new out of the box afterwards and that update.zip will work fine.

Your other option is using Gingerbreak 1.2 to root your stock .588, then install the Droid 2 bootstrap and go in to clockwork recovery and install the deodexed or the odexed rooted zips found on the Mydroidworld site. That would probably be easier in case you have never SBF'd your phone before.
What exactly is sbf? and whats the difference between the deodexed and odexed versions?

Thank you for the help so far!

leonozug

Reaction score
SBF is a program Verizon employees use to fix people's phones if they screw them up. But anyone can download it and use it. Look up randyrkelly on YouTube and watch his step by step video on how to do it. He also has links for all the files you need to do it with.

Deodexed means you can apply themes, on odexed you can't. Not entirely sure about what odexed does but most people go for the deodexed versions for theming. On both versions that are out, they are both rooted right out of the box.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

tyeschaeffer

Reaction score
Sbf

Could someone please post the links to get SBF so I can get back to version 2.2.1????

leonozug

Reaction score
I'm not by my computer right now but just go to YouTube and look up randyrkelly and his SBF tutorial. He has the links to everything you need. Watch the video and you'll be all set.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

bcc12345

Reaction score
so if we are on .588 via the "update.zip" method, I assume this means "stock .588" and non-root?

If so, will we still be able to download (and install) .596 manually on 6/1?

Thanks!

leonozug

Reaction score
so if we are on .588 via the "update.zip" method, I assume this means "stock .588" and non-root?

If so, will we still be able to download (and install) .596 manually on 6/1?

Thanks!

No, to get the update you have to be on stock 2.2.1 froyo, unrooted. You'll have to SBF and do a factory reset to get back to it, once you do that, you'll be able to recieve the over the air update, or manually install it once you're done restoring it.

whatllitbenext

Reaction score
So here's what I did to go from .588 to .596 without a hassle, and it worked like a charm:

1. Go here and download the GingerBreak app to your sd card:

http://www.droidfiles.us/downloads/apk/GingerBreak-v1.20.apk

2. Open a file manager such as Root Explorer and tap on the GingerBreak file and it will ask you if you want to install it. Tap install and then when it's finished, tap on "Root" (I may not have the exact wording correct but you get the idea -- you want to root your device and as of right now this is the only one-stroke rooting app that works -- z4 will not work).

3. Go here and download the 596 DeOdex:

Deposit Files

This is probably where you're having a problem, 'cause I had the same one:

4. Copy the 596 file to your sd card WITHOUT unzipping.

5. Using Droid 2 Bootstrapper, tap on "Bootstrap Recovery" and then "Reboot Recovery"

6. Then use the volume keys to go to "Install Zip from sdcard". Use the camera button to select (power button goes back a screen.

7. Select "Choose zip from sdcard" (remember to use the camera button to make your selection).

8. Use the volume buttons to find "596-Deodexed.zip" and then select it.

That's it!

When it says it's complete, use the power button to get back to "Reboot system now" and you'll be all set (hopefully!)

BTW, this is ALL thanks to DroidModderX | Ultimate Video Guides!, I'm just including a few details you can't see in his video.

Good luck.

BillCollector

Reaction score
I downloaded the leaked rooted .588 gingerbread. Will this method work for me as well?
Or do I just download the 596 deodexed and install?

Also, the link isn't working, do you know a working link?

Thanks in advance