Need help with theme

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by akabobbito, Aug 2, 2010.

1. akabobbito

akabobbito New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just recently used the DMUpdater to root my droid and am fairly new to this whole process. I'm now trying to install a theme but I really don't have much of a clue as to how to do this. I tried using metamorph but it didn't work. I'm running BB .4 if that helps. All help is appreciated.

2. YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth Theme Developer
    Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +260
    Just search around forum under themes and you'll find plenty I'm sure. Then download and transfer to you SD card and install just as you did the BB ROM. No need to wipe data/cache when installing a theme BUT be sure you backup, or have a current backup, of your ROM this way if things go bad your covered.

Also if you have ROM Manager you can get themes, ROMS and kernels from that app. It's a pay app, but IMO very much worth the 4 bucks!

3. akabobbito

akabobbito New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried going the ROM manager route to get themes but I got stuck on the Motorola emblem so I had to boot into recovery. Do I have to unzip the themes before I put them on my SD card?

4. YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +260
    You shouldn't have to unzip the themes. What theme did you try? Are you sure it's compatible with BB 0.4?
    *EDIT* Also sometime after installing a theme (or ROM) the initial boot may take longer than normal. Be sure you're giving it enough time to do it's thing. Typically I give it five minutes, although I've never had one take that long. But after the 5 minute mark a battery pull is needed.

#4 YankInDaSouth, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  5. akabobbito

akabobbito New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried using the red rum theme with rom manger. I initially wanted to use the red glass theme but I don't know how to install it. I waited about 10 minutes when I tried installing the red rum theme. Is there a step by step guide on how to install through recovery you could point me towards?

6. YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +260
    OK - now that you have ROM ManagerI assume you'll be using ClockworkMod recovery.
    I have done this several times to install a theme.
    Red-Glass-Theme-BB.zip
    * This is the red glass theme link, either download it with your phone or you can do it with your computer and transfer it to you phone.
    * Once you have it on your SD card, open ROM Manager and choose "Install ROM from SD card (yes I know this is a theme, but trust me).
    * Locate the zip file you just downloaded/transfered and select it.
    * When the box appears to Backup existing ROM of Wipe data/cache you can ignore it (check nothing) IF you have a current copy of your ROM.
    The just sit back and let it do its thing. You should then enjoy the Red Glass theme.

7. akabobbito

akabobbito New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did exactly what you said to do but the theme didn't install. I went back into rom manager and once I opened it something popped up that said recovery failure then under it it has options saying recovery mode is "broken", Rom manager doesn't reboot, and other. Thanks for all the help by the way.

8. YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +260
    Yeah, I've been getting that message too, think it's a RM (ROM Manager) issue. Forgot about that, sorry.
    Try this: go back into RM and scroll all the way to the bottom where it says "All ClockworkMod Recoveries". Select that and choose 2.0.1.3 (don't know why, but that one seems to work best for me). Do that three or four times; the message "Successfully flashed ClockworkMod recovery!" Should pop up relatively quickly (less than a minute). After that try the steps I posted before.

9. akabobbito

akabobbito New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    All i had to do was click the top flash clockworkmod recovery and do it over and it worked. Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

#9 akabobbito, Aug 2, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  10. YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +260
    No problem!! Glad you got it working! Just keep that little "All ClockworkMod Recoveries" in mind. If you ever try to flash a ROM or install a theme using RM and nothing happens try that little trick and it may work!

Enjoy you "new" phone! Next we'll work on overclocking :tongue:

11. akabobbito

akabobbito New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Surprisingly I already have my droid overclocked, which doesn't make too much sense since I couldn't even install a theme. haha :p If I wanted to switch Roms, how would I go about doing that? would I just go into Rom manager and download another one? Sorry about asking so many questions, I'm just a little excited :icon_ banana: lol

12. YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +260
    No worries about the questions. You could do it through RM or if you find one here on the forum that's not in RM you could download it to you SD card and try using RM's install ROM from SD card option. I have had success doing that without renaming the file and other times I've had to rename it to update.zip and move it to the root of the SD card.
    And, as always, if you have problems just turn to the forum community!