Need Help with Rooting my DX

Csst

Reaction score
I did a little searching on the forum and had a little trouble finding a nice step by step guide from backing up your phone to rooting it? does anyone know what the best and easiest way to do this im ready to try to root but don't want to mess anything up? i want to make sure i make the backup correct.I dont really want to install ROMS i would like to keep it at stock i only want to root so i can use the wireless tethering Thanks
Csst

Last edited:

DROIDpfft

Reaction score
hey i just rooted my x this morning and i was having trouble with it
here's what i did

i used this app here [APP] z4root - xda-developers

then from there i started on step C here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/74980-droid-x-hacking-guide-s.html
im running rubix 1.9 with tron theme. make sure you wipe data and cache before installing your rom

EDIT: ALSO on the z4root app, the first time i ran it and it got stuck on the message "running exploit in order to obtain root access" if it's stuck on that for a couple minutes just reboot and try again and it goes through smoothly

I did a little searching on the forum and had a little trouble finding a nice step by step guide from backing up your phone to rooting it? does anyone know what the best and easiest way to do this im ready to try to root but don't want to mess anything up? i want to make sure i make the backup correct.I dont really want to install ROMS i would like to keep it at stock i only want to root so i can use the wireless tethering Thanks
Csst

Last edited:
OP
C

Csst

Reaction score
No you see i dont want to install any ROM i just want to backup and root so i can use wireless tethering

DROIDpfft

Reaction score
No you see i dont want to install any ROM i just want to backup and root so i can use wireless tethering

the app will give you root and installing bootstrap.apk in step C will give you a recovery to backup your current rom

Dustin.

Reaction score
He doesn't want to install a ROM.. You posted what you were running but thats not what he's interested in.

Download z4root, unzip, place in the root of your SD Card.

Download Astro File Manager, navagate to that z4root.apk file, tap it, hit App Manager and install it.

Once installed open your App list and run the program and root your phone.

Afterwards you should head to the market and pick up a app called Droid X Bootstrapper, or get it from an alternative source, your choice.

Once installed open Bootstrapper, hit Bootstrap Recovery, then Reboot Recovery.

Boom, your in Clockwork Mod. Now using the volume up and down keys go to Backups and Restore, then the camera button to select. You'll see 3 options. Use the volume keys to go down to Backup, hit your camera button and let that process run until its complete.

When its done hit the Power/Lock button and wait till it brings you back to the main menu and using your camera button select Reboot.

Then go to market for Wireless Tether and your done!

Hope this helpful. Cheers!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You can just use z4 to root and then install Wireless Tether from the market and be good to go. Keep in mind what he's saying should you decide to flash a ROM though. :)

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Excellent job retaining what we did this morning and explaining it VERY clearly DROIDpfft!!!! :dancedroid:

hey i just rooted my x this morning and i was having trouble with it
here's what i did

i used this app here [APP] z4root - xda-developers

then from there i started on step C here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-hacks/74980-droid-x-hacking-guide-s.html
im running rubix 1.9 with tron theme. make sure you wipe data and cache before installing your rom

EDIT: ALSO on the z4root app, the first time i ran it and it got stuck on the message "running exploit in order to obtain root access" if it's stuck on that for a couple minutes just reboot and try again and it goes through smoothly

Csst

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Good info but not needed to simply use Wireless Tether. All you need for that to work is root access to be able to give the app permission.

He doesn't want to install a ROM.. You posted what you were running but thats not what he's interested in.

Download z4root, unzip, place in the root of your SD Card.

Download Astro File Manager, navagate to that z4root.apk file, tap it, hit App Manager and install it.

Once installed open your App list and run the program and root your phone.

Afterwards you should head to the market and pick up a app called Droid X Bootstrapper, or get it from an alternative source, your choice.

Once installed open Bootstrapper, hit Bootstrap Recovery, then Reboot Recovery.

Boom, your in Clockwork Mod. Now using the volume up and down keys go to Backups and Restore, then the camera button to select. You'll see 3 options. Use the volume keys to go down to Backup, hit your camera button and let that process run until its complete.

When its done hit the Power/Lock button and wait till it brings you back to the main menu and using your camera button select Reboot.

Then go to market for Wireless Tether and your done!

Hope this helpful. Cheers!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
C

Csst

Reaction score
YES!! Thank you for the help im just kinda new at this and want to make sure i think the part i was confused on for some reason was i thought you had to backup before you root..LOL but i see you have to root first than backup im going to backup anyways just as a precaution after my rooting is done sound right?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You are correct! Happy rooting to you!! :dancedroid:
You WILL need the bootstrap and recovery mentioned to do a backup though.

YES!! Thank you for the help im just kinda new at this and want to make sure i think the part i was confused on for some reason was i thought you had to backup before you root..LOL but i see you have to root first than backup im going to backup anyways just as a precaution after my rooting is done sound right?

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
C

Csst

Reaction score
Ok will do!! I'll keep you posted on how i make out ** Crossing fingers** LOL Thanks guys!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No problem! If you need help, let us know! :)

Ok will do!! I'll keep you posted on how i make out ** Crossing fingers** LOL Thanks guys!!

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
C

Csst

Reaction score
Ok one more question its asking if i want to temporary Root or Permanent root?? what one do you recommend? If i do Permanent does that mean i can't unroot it back?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Permanent root. Temporary boot will only last until you reboot the phone. Btw, when you open apps that say root required, superuser will request permission. Make sure the box is checked and click allow or it won't work.
And you can still unroot later if you'd like.

Ok one more question its asking if i want to temporary Root or Permanent root?? what one do you recommend? If i do Permanent does that mean i can't unroot it back?

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
C

Csst

Reaction score
Ok thanks again for the quick reply