Need help with rooting droid

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by Redboi, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Redboi

Redboi New Member

Ok, I did the manual 2.1 update, rather then waiting around. But I still can't seem to figure out how to root this phone. I tried and tried before I did the update, but couldn't get it. I have pretty much figured out everything else, such as how to just find the apk for a file that u want from the market and just download it. That is how I got most of my apps and my home replacement(since I couldn't get my droid rooted). But if there is anyone in the Middle Georgia area with a rooted Droid I would really appreciate if u could either root mine for me or at least show me how to do, if so just pm me or my other contact info is on my page.
  2. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

You can not root 2.1 at this time. You will have to flash your phone back to 2.0.1 to root then use one of the custom 2.1 ROMs or use the "pre-rooted" 2.1 ROM that is out there.
    Look in the hacking section...plenty of info, links and stuff you'll need.

Step 1.
    Flash back (rewrite your firmware) to 2.0.1 using rdlite (search for threads)

Step 2.
    Root your 2.0.1 phone

Step 3.
    Install the "rooted" 2.1 image or a custom 2.1 rom, not the "official 2.1 OTA rom"

Done.
  3. LdaSense420

LdaSense420 New Member

if u updated to 2.1 u cant root ur fone unless u flash back to 2.0.1 so go here... Recover your phone from a brick.

then just search around the forums on how to gain root access with the 2.1 update...
  4. korp

korp New Member

Like everybody said ... if its the official 2.1 it cannot be rooted. There are 2.1 roms for rooted phones but they are built for root abilities.