Need Help With Possibly Bricked Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by roc777, Jan 1, 2011.

1. roc777

roc777 New Member

Hello all,

I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong area or something, but I'm in a mild panic at the moment lol. I have a moto droid (A855). I "quick rooted" by means of "Soup_or_Root" v. 2.06. I was on the 2.2.1 FRG83D. Everything worked fine for a day or so and I decided to try and load a new ROM. I used ROM Manager and backed up my freshly rooted OS. Flashed Clockworkrecovery (I forget the version but I assume its the latest; if that matters) and then downloaded a "smoked glass-esque" from thekilpatrickproject.com. I then Rebooted into recovery from the ROM Manager option. I scrolled through the sd card in the (i guess i would say bootloader) bootloader until I found the file for my smoked glass-esque. I clicked on it and installed, then chose reboot system. Upon reboot, the phone will only get to the screen where the lines come together to say DROID, and then it freezes midway through it and loops. So the whole time the letters begin to come together to form DROID but stops and restarts (not the entire phone and boot, just the DROID animation). So I'm worried, although I feel there is hope still that I am NOT bricked for life! I'm unsure and confused as to where to go from here.... that is to say to get back to my backed up version of my stock rooted OS. I pulled the battery and booted up while holding up on the D pad and got the factory bootloader screen (The one that says battery OK/Ok to program/Connect usb with Bootloader 2c.7c in the top left. Being the noob that I am, I'm lost since I do not have the boot screen with the green letters and options. Hopefully somebody can help me. I tried researching but nothing seemed specific to my problem and I didn't want to do further damage. And sorry for the LOOONG post, I just want to make sure that all steps taken are recorded so that you guys don't have to say "What did you do prior to screwing the life of your phone into the ground?" Any help appreciated!
  2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ok...you're not in too bad shape. Pull the battery, hold "x" and power button to get into recovery. When there list your options.....been a while since I ran clockwork recovery.

Sent from somewhere...
  3. roc777

roc777 New Member

Ok I'll try that... Thank you very much for the response and patience with my noob self haha
  4. jstafford1

We were all there once.....you'll be ok.

Sent from somewhere...
  5. roc777

roc777 New Member

ok now....

Ok I pulled the battery and powered on while holding x.

It brought me to the yellow exclamation mark inside the triangle above a phone screen.
  6. jstafford1

Ok....that's the stock recovery...try holding up volume button and hit the camera button.

Sent from somewhere...
  7. Anarchist310000

Anarchist310000 New Member

Firstly i must say tht it is near impossible to brick your Droid. Believe me I have tried.

Now it seems tht u just have a simple bootloop which could have been caused from the theme which may not have been compatible with the ROM u are using.
    SInce you say that you have backed up the ROM before flashing the theme then you can easily fix this.

1)Relax
    2)Boot your phone into recovery by holding down the "X" button while you power your droid on
    3)Navigate to the "Nandroid" option in Clockwork with volume rocker and select with the camera button
    4)Navigate to the "Restore" option and select it
    5)Select your most recent backup and allow it to restore.
    6)Press power button and return to first menu and reboot your Device
    7)Enjoy your phone once more
  8. roc777

roc777 New Member

Nice...

Ok so I held up and pressed Cam button...

Now I have blue lettered menu at the top...

menu consists of:reboot system now, apply sdcard:update.zip, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, wipe baseband data

and also as I side note, the line with apply sdcard:update.zip, unless it was automatically created upon my "quick root", I may have created this during a shot I took at a more manual rooting approach using RSD Lite. Just thought You should know.
  9. jstafford1

Just wipe data and cache...then reboot. If you still have bootloops then we have to try something else.
    Can't do much with the stock recovery, but can put on another recovery and get you going.

Sent from somewhere...
  10. roc777

roc777 New Member

Ok so I did the wipe baseband data option as well as the wipe cache partition and I still get that same freeze on the Droid animation. So what should I try now. Its wierd because just before I attempted to load the ROM I purposely and deliberately went into ROM Manager and I think it was the very top option that said to flash clockword recovery. I did so and it said completed not long after. Anything you think I may have done wrong?
  11. jstafford1

ROM manager is known for messing up recovery.

Now you gotta flash sprecovery with rsdlite

Sent from somewhere...
  12. roc777

roc777 New Member

ok so I guess its good that I have RSD Lite already. I will do some research on this because I am not completely familiar with how to do it and I will try it. Would it be alright with you if I ask some questions through PM in the future regaurding the sprecovery flash if I cant get it to work?
  13. jstafford1

Sure......

Read motocache1's tutorial on rsdlite...its down in the droid labs forum. Very good writeup. Once you get sprecovery on its only a couple more steps and you're up and running again.

Sent from somewhere...
  14. roc777

roc777 New Member

awesome. I really appreciate your help!
  15. jstafford1

No problem

Sent from somewhere...
  16. roc777

roc777 New Member

hmmm

Ok guys, I have a couple of more quick questions. Early this AM while I was still hard at work trying to get my phone up and running, I clicked the option to do factory data reset. It said the process was completed so I rebooted. Now, all I get is an infinite long black screen after the motorola M goes away. So have I messed up worse? To a more unfixable problem?

And the next thing I'm wondering is if I am trying to use RSD Lite (write up by motocache1) to flash sprecovery to my phone, how can this be possible since my phone will not boot up? There is a step of the process in which I must move a file to my sd card and rename it update.zip. So how will I do this if I am unable to mount the sd card through the phone? Am I to assume that directly mounting the sd into the computer by removing it from the phone will serve the same purpose? I mean I don't see why not, so I guess my question SHOULD be, can everything that needs to be done, actually be done, since my phone won't come on?

Thanks guys, and again, sorry for the terrible noobism lol.
  17. ecsnead69

ecsnead69 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Open the slide and press power and hold the "x" button, once you see the screen "flash" let go of the power button but keep holding the "x", what color is the text in the menu that you go to? If it's green, you are in clockwork.....
  18. roc777

roc777 New Member

uh o

Ok I'm making progress but also a little more worried now. I followed the steps in motocache1's write up about using RSD Lite to flash sprecovery and I now have the sprecovery boot screen. I also followed the steps to complete the process of "allowing update.zip". Instead of saying that it installed to sd card or whatever, it says Can't mount /sdcard
    and
    E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0)
    (No such file or directory)
    Installation aborted.

Please help. No Idea what to try now.

Thanks ALL
  19. roc777

roc777 New Member

Ok so as I was unplugging from the wall charge box in order to usb connect to the laptop, I pulled the cord of the charger too far and slid the phone off of the arm of the couch, onto the hardwood floor! I know, wow klutz. Anyways, now I can't get a screen to pull up in ANY way, but the backlight DOES light up. I cant even get to the boot screen that says bootloader and does the battery check and usb connect verification. Does this sound like a good chance to head over to verizon and play the dumb idiot with the "mysteriously stopped working" screen? Or, is that a bad idea because those guys are going to be like NOPE, warranty voided FOOL. I mean I can't even pull a recovery bootloader screen or anything, so I don't see how they would know any different, but this is why I'm posting. Not sure exactly if thats how it works, and hopefully this will be a means to an end of my problems. :icon_ banana:
  20. ecsnead69

ecsnead69 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Did you get insurance?
Search tags for this page
bricked droid a854 or a855

droid a855 bricked

motorola a855 root bricked