Need help with overclocking...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Palantirion, Apr 13, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. Palantirion

Palantirion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I've been following Matth3w's guide to overclocking, but my Droid keeps freezing during bootup (Motorola logo) after kernel installation. Luckily I'm getting pretty adept at nandroid restore. Anyway, I'm running 2.0.1 with Helix and I've tried Chevy's 5 and 7 slot 1.2Ghz kernels. Same problem ever time, although kernel installation goes smoothly within nandroid. I have no idea what to try next. HELP please!

p.s. I don't have SetCPU yet, but I have Overclock! installed. But this wouldn't cause a problem until after bootup, right?
  2. Palantirion

Palantirion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    *Update*

I played around some more with DroidRootHelper-v9.0 and noticed that it has some overclock kernels bundled into it. So I flashed to 99.0b as noted by the kernel's notes, then hit Tazmanian_Droid's 1Ghz button. The phone rebooted to nandroid and installed the overclocking kernel. I then manually rebooted and the phone fired right up!

Overclock recognizes the new overclock frequencies and the phone is FLYING now! DONE! Easier than Matth3w's directions (no offense, that guide still kicks ass!), and it didn't require any paid apps!

Did I do good, or is this too good to be true?
  3. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +193
    Other than being on a very outdated version of sprecovery, if it worked that's good. I would have suggested trying a different one of chevy's kernels and just make sure they are for 2.0.1, his newer ones will only work on 2.1.
  4. Palantirion

Palantirion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1) Could you elaborate on what you mean about an "outdated" version of sprecovery? Is nandroid an earlier version of sprecovery? Or are they totally different programs that do basically the same things?

2) I had considered 2.0.1/2.1 conflict issues, but I couldn't figure out how to tell which kernel was for which version of android...until I noticed the warning in droid root helper's overclockers that said 2.0.1. only. If you have a kernel, how can you tell which version of android it's built for?

Thanks very much for you response.