need help with multi-media for moto droid

sniperJim

Reaction score
Is there a site like iTunes store for the droid platforms? I have left my iPod behind in hopes for a phone/media player in one device....But I guess I was sorely misled....I have a hard time finding any usable videos for the droid....It has left me wondering...... WHAT droid does?!?!?!?!?:icon_evil:

dissipaointed Jim

tallnerd1985

Reaction score
Welcome to Android,

Why dont you use iTunes with iSyncr app from the market to do music and videos. If you want to get videos on your Droid, DVDcatalyst is a great program to convert either existing video files or DVDs that would be compatible for your Droid.

Before you bash your phone, please use the search function built into this website. There is a lot of great resources at your disposal on how to do a lot of different things with your Droid.

D

dvdcatalyst

Is there a site like iTunes store for the droid platforms? I have left my iPod behind in hopes for a phone/media player in one device....But I guess I was sorely misled....I have a hard time finding any usable videos for the droid....It has left me wondering...... WHAT droid does?!?!?!?!?:icon_evil:

dissipaointed Jim

It's not the phone thats the problem, its the entertainment industry.

For music, they finally caved in, and now most stores provide DRM-free music, however, for video, the movie companies are so scared about piracy that they still hold on to the DRM.
This means that only 2 device types can play videos. iTunes-connected devices, such as iPod/iPhone/iPad/Apple TV or Windows Media "Plays for Sure" devices, such as Zune, Windows Mobile or XBOX 360. And of course Sony's "PSN" which offers a limited collection of video content.

For all other device groups, the market share is "too small", so they don't care.

Personally, I would never buy videos through the iTunes/Zune/Amazon stores because of the DRM. You pay about the same price for the DVD's anyway. Sure, the TV shows are on iTunes a day later, but paying $50 for a single "season-pass" is easily nullified if you get something like a TiVo and convert your TV shows after you record them.

edit: DRM is "Digital Rights Management", which restricts you to do what you want with the video. Files with DRM require activation so they are tied to your name, and in addition, the files can only be used for a certain amount of time (rentals) or only used on a few devices. If you end up with a computer-crash, you are out of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
S

sniperJim

Reaction score
That just really bites!!! I have a ton of tv shows and movies from iTunes. Is there anyway to convert them for use on the droid? I really enjoyed picking up past episodes of shows and catching up on them with my iPod. It just takes too much time to purchase the DVD and then put it on the computer so that I could then transfer it to my phone...I guess that is what I am going to have to do until another way is possible for the Droid......

Again...so much for the Droid DOES!!!

Thanks for the info...do you know of any good programs to convert store bought DVDs to a format compatable on teh droid 2.1 platform?

Thanks

Jim

OP
S

sniperJim

Reaction score
I will give the the iSyncr a try....thanks for the heads up on that! That is another thing I am having a hard time with...Picking what app is best to do what I want. I went through a lot of Audiobook apps before I found MortPlayer. I like that app the best...but I still need to get used to their folder based system... but I think I can work that out with time.

Thanks again.

Jim

D

dvdcatalyst

Because of the DRM of iTunes, your purchased content needs to be "converted" as well. Most of the DVD/Video conversion tools are not capable of this, but there are programs that do this by "recording" the file. Basically they play the file on your computer, and record it at the same time. There are a few (over-priced) programs that do this, but most people here use a free program called Tunebite for that.

Tunebite: Start

As for converting DVD and (non-DRM) video files to Droid format, have a look here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-audio-video/14958-re-how-convert-dvds-videos-use-droid.html

OP
S

sniperJim

Reaction score
Thanks for the help...I guess I have a lot of work to do now...:icon_eek:....I better go an purchase a external hard drive now that I am going to have 2 of everything...LOL O-Well...

Thanks again for the info.

Jim :motdroidhoriz:

naknak95

Reaction score
You can put iTunes on your Droid. I think it's this program called DoubleTwist. It's like iTunes except you can sync the song to any device. Give it a try

OP
S

sniperJim

Reaction score
I put the doubletwist app on my moto droid and loaded the program on my computer.. It did sink everything on my computer to the new program on my computer but when I started playing around with it I discovered that all the songs and vidieo's that I had purchased through iTunes were still not able to be played with Doubletwist.....I am beginning to hate iTunes....LOL

D

dvdcatalyst

I put the doubletwist app on my moto droid and loaded the program on my computer.. It did sink everything on my computer to the new program on my computer but when I started playing around with it I discovered that all the songs and vidieo's that I had purchased through iTunes were still not able to be played with Doubletwist.....I am beginning to hate iTunes....LOL

Videos rented/purchased through iTunes are wrapped with a form of DRM that prevents you from using the files on other devices.

From another thread:

I currently have an iPhone but my droid is coming in on Wednesday and I was wondering if I can use my iTunes videos? if not, can I at least use my converted mp4s? I convert in 480x360 or 640x480.

Your converted movies should play fine, however, the ones purchased through iTunes as well as "Digital Copy" ones are linked to your iTunes account, and will only play in iTunes that is "Authorized" to your account. The Droid (as well as all other non-apple devices) does not have this activation system, and will not play these files. Even if you transfer your purchased videos to a different computer with iTunes, if that computer is not "Authorized" with your account, it will also not play those files.
TuneBite, as well as other commercial iTunes DRM removal tools run on your "Authorized" computer, and play the file while recording, similar as dubbing VHS tapes or recording a VHS to DVD using a standalone DVD burner.
In my opinion, it is easier to just rent the DVDs and convert them.