Need help with mp4 converter

mjp81

Reaction score
So I'm using WinAVI MP4 Converter to convert avi files to mp4, and I want to know the optimal settings for the Droid, if there are any. I did download HandBrake, but when I try to convert with it, it shows me the "encountered an error and has to shut down" message.

On WinAVI, there are advanced settings for video size, video frame rate, video bitrate, audio bitrate, and audio sample rate. The advanced tab does also show the size and various bitrates of the original video file. What has happened on my first few attempts was having videos fore close on the Droid, which I believe I solved by choosing the "keep the same frame rate" option before converting. There is also a "keep same video size" option. Also sometimes after transferring an mp4 to the Droid, the audio will be slightly off from the video, even thought its perfectly aligned when watching it on my computer.

What I want to do is make sure that the video is playable, is synced with the audio, and has the best video quality while minimizing the file size. How should I approach the settings to best do this? Are there universal optimal settings for the Droid, or should I base them somehow on what the video files' setting are?

Houndstooth

Reaction score
A lot of people will recommend DVDCatalyst (including me). It's not free but it's a great program.

I think quality will depend a lot on the source file, but some good settings from DVDCatalyst are the following:

854x480
800 kbps
128kbps sound quality
framerate 30
conversion format h264

with those settings, the videos look great and run really well so you may want to start there.

Also, I am not sure if Handbrake actually supports AVI to MP4. It might be DVD only, I don't remember.

There are also some higher quality settings, but I can't access them right now.

Last edited:

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the best $10 on software I have EVER spent.... DvdCatalyst FTW!

-=Jason=-

pyro6128

Reaction score
Handbrake is free, works very well for me. Just click the ipod legacy setting and you're good to go. No more setting adjustments really needed.

BartJJ

Reaction score
i personally use winFF its not the fastest i guess nor is it prob the easiest to use but it gets the job done and its free so :)

medlong1

Reaction score
Can Handbrake convert one of the new dvd's such as Wolverine? I've tried various settings, including ipod legacy, but it always comes out very choppy. (Large red & green pixels mixed w/ video)

pyro6128

Reaction score
It should be able to, I've converted all of my movies with it and never had any trouble with it. Maybe someone with a little more technical knowledge could chime in though and help optimize the settings. Did you interrupt the conversion process or anything like that?

Houndstooth

Reaction score
If you are burning right from DVD, you will probably need some type of DVDdecryption software like AnyDVD to get past the protection on your legally owned DVDs. :)

fLiP SiD3

Reaction score
I have wasted countless hours trying to configure HANDBRAKE using all the settings that everybody recommends..........and for nothing. I am somewhat tech savy and I know what I am doing , but , only to fail.
UNTIL I ran into DVD CATALYST 3 , it is ONLY $10 and believe me .....if I didnt have to spend any money I wouldn't , but , after using just the trial , I was immediately sold on that software. It has already a pre-setting for the DROID device and all you have to do is set it to DROID and your pretty much done. Quality and sound is excellent and the conversion time is 2x faster than Handbrake. With Handbrake it took me 2 1/2 hours to convert a movie that took only 1 1/2 hours on DVD CATALYST 3

For those of you that have had success with HANDBRAKE , good for you you are $10 richer than I am

Last edited:

Guurzak

Reaction score
Can Handbrake convert one of the new dvd's such as Wolverine? I've tried various settings, including ipod legacy, but it always comes out very choppy. (Large red & green pixels mixed w/ video)

Handbrake does not include a DVD decoder, so you need to run a decoded in parallel with the Handbrake rip. I use DVD43 which is a freeware decoder library. Once installed you don't have to do anything differently, DVD43 just sits in the background and decodes transparently while the DVD is being ripped.

pyro6128

Reaction score
thats weird, I converted star wars episode III straight from the dvd. Maybe the security or whatever on that particular dvd is less than others. Still though, I'm interested in dvd catalysts speed difference. Maybe I'll give it a go

Glock

Reaction score
I'm a little late to the topic but I use DVD Shrink (free) to create ISO files of my legally owned DVDs and then use MagicISO to virtually mount them and rip them with either Handbrake (trying for the 1st time as I type this) or WinX DVD Ripper Platinum (got it during the free promotion...wOOt). WinX has served me very well so far. About a 40 minute process from ISO to MP4. It'd probably be faster if my laptop wasn't over 2 years old...:icon_ lala:

SoonM

Reaction score
I use MelodyCan for all of my video converting needs. And I have no problems with it)
You can try too)

Tros

Reaction score
Hey.. Use MelodyCan and have no problems with converting)