need help updating my OS on an original Droid

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
Just so I am clear.... if I totally mess this up, which is NOT my plan, I can just do a factory reset and then re-download the backup program and it will restore my aps etc.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just so I am clear.... if I totally mess this up, which is NOT my plan, I can just do a factory reset and then re-download the backup program and it will restore my aps etc.

If you use any kind of Rom Manager to "auto flash" you may not get to CWM recovery if it fails...Just do a manual flash in recovery...I always mount system to be extra cautious but not really necessary....Make sure you can find your backup..and..if you try to restore a backup, from a different kernel than the one your flashing recent, you will bootloop....then sbf..Always learn how to sbf before even flashing...its vital.its easy, and once you get that down...you'll be relaxed to know, that all else fails...Bamm..no problem...get to bootloader and plug up...drop the unzipped file into the rsdlite and hit start ...that simple...if you choose to do the flash without learning the sbf process as I did a couple years back, your nerves will be shot..lol you'll be fine...I'm not trying to scare you...I just believe in preventive maint. Lol Peace..the man has a good write up...just be sure you follow each step...don't deviate..lol peace brother! And Happy Flashing!

You juss been TAPPED! by the drummer
LIQUID 3.0 or Anything but Stock!!!!
<><>-------------------PEACE---------------------<><>

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
I down loaded the data/cache wipe ap... what a great idea for an ap! That should really help with the speed. I am looking for the Gingerbread to download...

I found this guys version
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/168410-rom-stable-gingerbread-android-2-3-5-build-gpa17.html

b
ut when I get there.... and click on "downloads" and I get this page

http://download.peteralfonso.com/

b
ut none of them are called ginger bread... sorry I am confused. I just do not want to download the wrong thing

I believe they are all Gingerbread roms. If you mess up the phone really bad, there are ways to get it working again like the Drummer said. This may help http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-using-rsd-lite-flash-sbf-file-correctly.html

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
If you use any kind of Rom Manager to "auto flash" you may not get to CWM recovery if it fails...Just do a manual flash in recovery...I always mount system to be extra cautious but not really necessary....Make sure you can find your backup..and..if you try to restore a backup, from a different kernel than the one your flashing recent, you will bootloop....then sbf..Always learn how to sbf before even flashing...its vital.its easy, and once you get that down...you'll be relaxed to know, that all else fails...Bamm..no problem...get to bootloader and plug up...drop the unzipped file into the rsdlite and hit start ...that simple...if you choose to do the flash without learning the sbf process as I did a couple years back, your nerves will be shot..lol you'll be fine...I'm not trying to scare you...I just believe in preventive maint. Lol Peace..the man has a good write up...just be sure you follow each step...don't deviate..lol peace brother! And Happy Flashing!

Oh my, I did not understand a word of this...sorry just such a newbie...oh and I am a lady so I guess I will have to be your sister :)

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh my, I did not understand a word of this...sorry just such a newbie...oh and I am a lady so I guess I will have to be your sister :)

Lol I'm such a dork right? I don't normally assume all on this forum are guys....My habitual "Brother" is somewhat of my word often used to describe friends....I should update to Brothers and Sistahs!! Lol I'm hoping I didn't offend...I used to over use "dude" as well....but somewhere along the way picked up the other ...lol Peace din! Brothers and sistahs.....:) you'll get all of this in time...its very addictive and the terms are just complex, not the real actions behind them..lol

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
So, where are you at now. Do you have a rom downloaded?

I hope I haven't thrown a wrench in the gears...lol

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I have downloaded the ROM but I have run out of time to upgrade my phone as I am about to run out of town for a few days. I fear blowing up my phone and then being phoneless while out of town (I know I am a wimp). I plan to try the download next week when I return, that way if I mess up the worst thing that happens is I buy a new phone. LOL

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have downloaded the ROM but I have run out of time to upgrade my phone as I am about to run out of town for a few days. I fear blowing up my phone and then being phoneless while out of town (I know I am a wimp). I plan to try the download next week when I return, that way if I mess up the worst thing that happens is I buy a new phone. LOL

It's not that bad but yeah, if you're worried just wait. Good luck!:)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

Even if you mess up the worst you'll have to do is start over. You'll be fine.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would wait to. You could brick your phone (i.e.: make it a useless piece of plastic, glass and metal).
We will be here when you are ready to try again.

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
OK, I have written by hand all my aps...just in case... and I am off to the races in this who down load upgrade thing...fingers crossed.

rck76

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, I have written by hand all my aps...just in case... and I am off to the races in this who down load upgrade thing...fingers crossed.

Good luck!

sent from my liberated bionic using transparent Droid forums

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
NEED HELP WITH #5
5. put the Rom in the root of your sdcard. Rename it update.zip (the update.zip name depends on the Recovery version, as this should be compatible with old and new versions of Recovery software).

I have downloaded the file, renamed it as suggested and my phone is attached to the computer. Where is the root of my sdcard. do I just add it to my sdcard or do I add it to a one of the files on the sdcard like "android"