need help updating my OS on an original Droid

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I just checked... I do not have any task killers as you suspected. Thanks for explaining the launcher. I am simply using the one that came with the Droid. Though I did change the wallpaper to one of my own photos that a grabbed off of my Flickr accoun

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I can not find any "recovery" ap or section in the settings. I know my emails and contacts are backed up on my gmail and yahoo accounts. I have moved a lot of my aps to my memory card but I have never attached my phone to a computer to back it up as I do not know how.

I did clean out the cache with a Verizon rep's help recently and I manually wipped out my text messages which were not that many anyway. I usually email or call instead of text.

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I have also checked my SD card space since I erased a bunch of stuff. I have 13 gb of 14.8 available. so plenty of room.

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
If you feel like going this far, this will tell us what type of recovery is on your phone. Turn off the phone, then, using the keyboard, hold "X" and then hold the power button until the phone turns on. Keep holding X until the recovery shows up. Tell us what it says.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
OK, I now have Titanium back u and backed everything up just like the video showed me.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
@mtpeke, Hey, I love reading your posts because they remind me of the innocent android user I use to be. OK, let me try to get you straight, the best I can.

1. You are rooted because you can use wireless tether. You would not be able to use wireless tether if you were not rooted.

2. You can tell us what your version of Recovery is by doing the following:
- Shutdown your device (not reboot)
- turn on your Droid, holding the X key at the same time on the keyboard. Don't let go until you see the Recovery screen.
- Look for the version of Recovery or any clues we can use (like do you see the Android Logo, do you see green text, what the text says, etc.)

3. You should download MyBackup Pro or Titanium (the paid edition) and backup your applications and data. Also backup your system data (that has email info, contacts, etc.) btw, you don't need to backup your contacts because they are already backed up using Google automatically, but you can if you want.

4. download a new rom (maybe Gingerbread 2.3 based) by looking through the forum, here. Click on forum, and go to custom roms. Custom Roms

5. put the Rom in the root of your sdcard. Rename it update.zip (the update.zip name depends on the Recovery version, as this should be compatible with old and new versions of Recovery software).

6. Wipe your phone using the option in Recovery 3 times. You would wipe both data and system. Make sure you are not in any options to wipe or format your sdcard. These are two different options!!!!

7. select the option to install the update.zip Rom.

8. Reboot the phone, using the option in Recovery.

9. Configure your phone for first time setup.

10. Go to android Market, and install My Backup Pro again (or whatever you used to backup your stuff)

11. Restore your stuff

12. Now your phone is updated with a new Gingerbread ROM

Disclaimer: if you end up bricking your phone, it's not my fault.

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
If you feel like going this far, this will tell us what type of recovery is on your phone. Turn off the phone, then, using the keyboard, hold "X" and then hold the power button until the phone turns on. Keep holding X until the recovery shows up. Tell us what it says.

Tapped from an Unbrickable DROID

OK here is what I see...

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.1

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
OK here is what I see...

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.1

OK, continue following the directions above. Good luck! :)

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
will I keep my tethering? that is super important to me for when I travel I can tie my laptop into it for work purposes.

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
Oh goodness... I am lost on step 4...sigh I am such a newbie!

How do I download it...from the internet on my phone or do I need to connect my phone to the computer and do it some way??

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh goodness... I am lost on step 4...sigh I am such a newbie!

How do I download it...from the internet on my phone or do I need to connect my phone to the computer and do it some way??
Doesn't matter really.
Easier from your phone or using your usb cable connect your droid to you computer,and select the option you wiilll see on your droid to copy files.. copy the rom renamed update.zip to your sdcard.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
will I keep my tethering? that is super important to me for when I travel I can tie my laptop into it for work purposes.

You can download the Open Garden tether app if your current one doesn't work after you do the reflash, but it should still work fine since you're running a Rom.

jcardona1

Reaction score
@mtpeke, Hey, I love reading your posts because they remind me of the innocent android user I use to be. OK, let me try to get you straight, the best I can.

1. You are rooted because you can use wireless tether. You would not be able to use wireless tether if you were not rooted.

2. You can tell us what your version of Recovery is by doing the following:
- Shutdown your device (not reboot)
- turn on your Droid, holding the X key at the same time on the keyboard. Don't let go until you see the Recovery screen.
- Look for the version of Recovery or any clues we can use (like do you see the Android Logo, do you see green text, what the text says, etc.)

3. You should download MyBackup Pro or Titanium (the paid edition) and backup your applications and data. Also backup your system data (that has email info, contacts, etc.) btw, you don't need to backup your contacts because they are already backed up using Google automatically, but you can if you want.

4. download a new rom (maybe Gingerbread 2.3 based) by looking through the forum, here. Click on forum, and go to custom roms. Custom Roms

5. put the Rom in the root of your sdcard. Rename it update.zip (the update.zip name depends on the Recovery version, as this should be compatible with old and new versions of Recovery software).

6. Wipe your phone using the option in Recovery 3 times. You would wipe both data and system. Make sure you are not in any options to wipe or format your sdcard. These are two different options!!!!

7. select the option to install the update.zip Rom.

8. Reboot the phone, using the option in Recovery.

9. Configure your phone for first time setup.

10. Go to android Market, and install My Backup Pro again (or whatever you used to backup your stuff)

11. Restore your stuff

12. Now your phone is updated with a new Gingerbread ROM

I'd strongly recommend doing what I posted in post #2 before you do this. It really lets your phone run like the way it should. Doing these data/cache wipes always gave me problems a few weeks/months down the road.

OP
M

mtpeke

Reaction score
I down loaded the data/cache wipe ap... what a great idea for an ap! That should really help with the speed. I am looking for the Gingerbread to download...

I found this guys version
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bugless/168410-rom-stable-gingerbread-android-2-3-5-build-gpa17.html

b
ut when I get there.... and click on "downloads" and I get this page

http://download.peteralfonso.com/

b
ut none of them are called ginger bread... sorry I am confused. I just do not want to download the wrong thing