Need help updating Google Maps

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by volkerbradley, May 17, 2010.

1. volkerbradley

volkerbradley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Installed wireless tether about 4 months ago. Ever since then, I cannot upgrade Google Maps.
    Here is the message that I receive:
    !Installation error. Package file was not signed correctly.
    I posted about this problem before but could not resolve it. It was suggested that I remove Google Maps and reinstall. However, there seemed to be no way that I could remove Google Maps.
    Hope you can help.

2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Are you running a custom ROM? If so, which one?

If not, try using this link and install directly to your phone: https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B_0ClQVp1AHNOWRhMjE0ZWItNmMzYy00ODlhLThkZmYtOTc3ODQ4YTczODIy&hl=en

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. volkerbradley

volkerbradley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am using the Sholes ROM which I installed 4 months ago.

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    IIRC there is an issue with Sholes ROM and Google Calendars. Since Sholes has become droid mod. Here's what I think you should do.

First if you still have SMupdater, remove that and replace it with DMupdater which you can get here: Search Results: DMupdater - DroidMod. Go back to stock 2.0.1. Uninstall Google Maps. Run DMupdater and install. After you are done you can then either get Google Maps from the market or use the link I provided for you earlier in the thread.

I'm currently running 2.1 and IMHO it's about the same as DM. DM is a bit faster but not significantly. You may just want to go back to stock and wait for 2.2, or try a different ROM after you root. Just something to think about.

5. volkerbradley

volkerbradley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. Will follow them and give an update after I have done all this.
    Since it has been a while since I installed Sholes, I have some reading to do before I attempt to follow your instructions.

6. kevdog

kevdog Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is it only Google Maps? And is it a problem with the market? Ive had to clear the market cache and uninstall market updates before for a similar problem (not with GM though) and it worked for me!1

7. volkerbradley

volkerbradley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the problem is only with Google Maps when I have downloaded the new version from the market.
    How does one clear the market cache and uninstall market updates? If I uninstall market updates, do I reinstall that feature again?

8. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I remember correctly, there was a short period where a newer version of Google Maps was available for the Nexus but not for the Droid. During that period, rom makers were including maps with their roms, which would install into /system/app.

Since it's installed in /system/app, you can't uninstall it the normal way - you would have to delete the file manually (root explorer or terminal emulator).

I second the suggestion to install a newer ROM - a lot has changed since sholes went away.

9. volkerbradley

volkerbradley New Member

Ratings:
    +0

10. volkerbradley

volkerbradley New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I didn't quite brick it but almost. After I have removed the battery and reinserted it and then connect it to the power supply, the droid starts to boot and then goes black and becomes unresponsive.

Search tags for this page

google sky map not signed correctly