1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Need Help to Change Font Color of GeniWidget (Screenshot Attached)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Mikejl, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

Which file in the GeniWidget.apk needs to be modified to change the white text to black? I've been editing several of the .xml files without success. I'm either doing it wrong or nothing in the GeniWidget.apk controls that text.

Thank you,
    Mike
  2. bp328i

bp328i Theme Developer Theme Developer

Which xml's have you changed? I believe it's in the values folder and would be the color.xml

I'm testing it right now, give me a minute. Done and yep that's the correct xml.

Here is the apk that I changed just the widget text color to black, nothing else has been themed or changed. Just download it and remove the .zip

Hope this helps
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2011
  3. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

bp328i,

Your modificaton works perfectly. Thank you much!

Yesterday I used a shotgun approach on "news_white_text.xml", one of the xml's the color folder. Replaced FF FF FF FF with a bunch of 00 00 00 FF to see what effects they would have. It made changes of white to black where what I did earlier did nothing. Much trial and error ahead.

I'm trying to follow "The Ultimate Themeing Guide" to edit the XML's using HxD and AXMLPrinter. The files don't don't show as much information in AXMLPrinter as it shows in the Themeing Guide.

I have a GeniWidget.apk I pulled awhile back from a darkedge theme. It has a transparent background and is a favorite of mine that I use with every ROM. I want to be able to change the color of the text so I won't be as limited to which bg I can use.

I am too dense to figure out from your explaination above exactly which file you modified. I copied all the xml's from the color folder and they did not change the text. None of the files in the .apk have modified dates. I'll continue doing comparison, but they go slow. There is no color.xml file in the GeniWidget.apk.

Thanks again,
    Mike
  4. bp328i

No problem, glad I could help

In order to see the color.xml the apk needs to be decompiled. Once decompiled there is a values file that has the color.xml in it. If you don't decompile the apk the file can not be seen.
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  5. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

Hah! Didn't know that. Back to Google. Thank you much!

Mike
  6. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

Now, thanks to your help, I am able to decompile the .apk and change the text color on a complete GeniWidget.apk.

Unfortunately the GeniWidget.apk I have from the Darkedge Theme does not have all the required files and will not recompile properly.

But hey, I learned something new today. :)

Mike
  7. bp328i

If you post up a copy of the Darkedge GeniWidget I will change the font text color for you and post it back up.
  8. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

I'll take you up on that offer. :)

Are you using something other than APK Manager to decompile and compile?

Thanks,
    Mike
  9. bp328i

Here you go, tested and working...:)

No, I use APK Manager, the trick is you can not recompile apps that have been themed (for the most part). You need to replace all the themed images with stock ones decompile the apk make you xml edit's recompile then add the themed images back in.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  10. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

It won't recompile if the .9 guides are missing on the edited images. Otherwise you can decompile a normal themed app (images having the guides on them). You will have issue recompiling anything DarkEdge due to them using transparent images.
  11. bp328i

Let me start by saying I love your work.

I guess I could have been a little more specific and said .9 images.

I always find it easier to replace the whole file that has been themed with a stock one.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  12. Mikejl

Mikejl New Member

Got it installed and the black text looks great against my bg.

The apk manager mentioned replacing images in the case of an error, but I didn't think to replace them all and then switch them back again after the compile completed. I'll give that a try.

Once again, thank you very much!
    Mike