Need help switching JRummy's Remix to something better.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bruxC, Apr 24, 2010.

1. bruxC

bruxC New Member

I Got JRummy's Remix v.06 -CyanMod 5.0.6.1 and it didn't come with an overclocking feature, one of the main reasons why I wanted to root my phone in the beginning. Can someone help me by linking a step by step tutorial on how to do this? I browsed for a bit but I wasn't sure what steps I need to take if I already slapped a ROM on my droid. Do I need to unroot and reroot?

I used this tutorial here: Video: Flashing SPRecovery SBF to Stock 2.1 | Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog

I was thinking of trying out Smoked Glass, but if there is something better I'm all ears. I'm pretty much looking for the works in a ROM. Wireless tethering, GPS auto-enable, overclocking, gnarly launchers, 5mp camera/recorder (if that has been added yet?)

I'm new take it easy on me. I'm willing to learn. Just need some friendly help. Thanks for your time.
  2. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

If you download ROM Manager from the market, and flash clockwork mod, you can get a overclocking kernel of your choice.
  3. SanchoJoe

SanchoJoe New Member

The easiest way that I have found is use rom manager. It can be found in market. You can find rom manager premium license there too. It is very user friendly and always remember to use backup before you download any custom roms. Ultimate Droid has what you are looking for all in one download.
  4. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

Actually JRummy's Remix v0.6 does come with an "overclocking feature", it comes with a Bekit's 1200 MHz LV 5 slot kernel. You need SetCPU. JRummy's Remix v0.7 comes with Bekit's 1100 MHz LV 5 slot kernel.
  5. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

JRummy's ROM should have come with an overclocking kernel.

Do you have SetCPU (app on the market) installed? If so, is it setup to "autodetect settings?"
  6. dcaum

dcaum New Member

If you want a full feature, customizable ROM Jrummy is it! Use setcpu for OC.
  7. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

Look up the overclocking kernals for CyanogenMod. IIRC, the two main guys for this are P3droid and Bekit. AdamZ kernals may or may not work, I cant remember.
  8. kevdog

kevdog New Member

In case it wasn't clear, there are different kernels that may or may not come with the ability to be overclocked. This is accomplished by changing a few files (details can be given if really want to know), and then compiling the kernel. Hence there are usually 4-5 versions of the same kernel compiled by various developers (p3, bekit, etc), that have different clockspeeds compiled into the kernel. One of these clockspeeds is usually designated as the default and is always used by default.

In order to change to the different overclocked clockspeeds that are available in each compiled kernel you need the program setCPU. Its in the market as a paid app, however if you search xda forums, I believe its still available as a free app. I just went ahead and purchased it to avoid the hassle.

Within setCPU, you can choose to set the clockspeed to other speeds and even designate this speed be set on boot. It takes a little trial and error.

If playing with the koush ROM/jrummy ROM, Id recommend the CMupdater program since it really makes it easy to download and install new kernels with different clockspeeds and slots. In fact, this program almost makes it too easy.
  9. bruxC

bruxC New Member

Okay, I checked the market and it looks like there was a free overclock widget. It seems to work fine. I am still new so I'm not sure what minimum, maximum means in the sense of overclocking? it goes from 25-50-80. I assume that 25 is the lowest and 80 being the highest. However, there are two settings, one for the minimum and also, one for the maximum. Can you enlighten me on this?