Need Help, Stolen Droid, lookout installed**

StolenDroid

Reaction score
My LG Ally (Android) was stolen yesterday at a carnival by a carnie. First thing I did was locate and sure enough it showed up to be in Middletown,NY which is the next stop for the carnival train, I filed a police report but they said they cannot do anything. I know exactly where the phone is through locate, what should i do?

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
That is discouraging that the police said they cannot do anything, did they give any reasoning for that response?

Pathos

Reaction score
If you report your phone stolen to Verizon (or maybe another service), then they will lock the phone and prevent it from being activated again. That is until confirmed by you.

You are probably asking how to get your phone back, but that is not likely.

OP
S

StolenDroid

Reaction score
Nope, they just said they'll blacklist the ESN but all my information personal, and the value of my phone, and the fact that i know exactly where the phone is yet can't do anything about it bugs me so bad.

JCo352

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I chuckled a little when I read that it got stolen by a carnie. I would just drive to where it is and get it back myself, since the police are being so helpful.

OP
S

StolenDroid

Reaction score
Yeah i want to, but you know carnies, no knowing what they're crackheads will do

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Which police did you call? Your local ones or the ones where it is now? Call where it is now if thats not who you called. Police cannot say "We cant do anything", that's just complete BS. You tell them you are reporting stolen property, if they tell you that again, ask for someone higher up, if you still get the same response, say fine and tell them your going to start contacting local officials higher up, but what seems to work for me when I've had problems with any company and/or agency, is tell them fine, but your sure your friend at so and so TV station (Pick one with an investigative reporter) probably would be more then interested in hearing about how the "So and So Township Police" refused to investigate the theft of a $600 phone, simply saying, "They can't do anything"

OP
S

StolenDroid

Reaction score
I called the ones in Danbury, CT where the carnival was where the event took place, but because of the way it happened i put it down and looked away, they are bsing me saying it could not be stolen maybe even though im telling them it was tracked and it is in another state, the next state the carnival is in and everything, then they give me the out of my uristiction ****, and all they can do is take a case number, and blacklist the number

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Call where it is now and say your $600 phone was stolen and it has the ability to be tracked and it is in their jurisdiction. And if they say they cant help, I'd be like, so, when a $50,000 Lexus gets stolen and lojack calls them, do they tell them that they cant do anything? Anything over $500 is grand larceny.

RagtimeBenji

Reaction score
Man if I was in your boat I would track your phone and literally get it back yourself by strongarming the carnie. I doubt they would do anything, or maybe imposter a police officer and use intimidation tactics to get it back.

Sent from my Droid running Simply Stunning @ 1GHz

maxnicks

Reaction score
Yeah i want to, but you know carnies, no knowing what they're crackheads will do
Simple matter here. Call the Sheriff's dept in the county where the carnival is right now. Tell the Sheriff's dept your whole story. Tell them there is the possibility of physical violence and that you like a peace officer to accompany you to the confrontation. Make sure you explain how you know where your phone is and let them know you've already tried allowing a police agency to deal with it and were told, "tough luck Charlie." Make sure you've filed a police report. One of three things will happen. Best case, the Sheriff will now go deal with it. 2. The sheriff will send a peace officer along with you to keep the peace. 3. The Sheriff will tell you tough luck again. Make sure they understand that the theft of your phone is a felony. Felony arrests look good on the cop report. What makes it a felony? The replacement cost of the phone. Go to this link to determine what is felony theft in your state: Powered by Google Docs. If you ask a cop to do something for you, they'll usually verbalize their laziness in telling you it's a civil matter. If you ask a copy to "help" you do something for yourself, they normally will.

One last thing, there are always cops at a carnival. Go to the carnival, find a cop, tell him your phone was stolen and you know where it is RIGHT NOW. I'd be pretty surprised if he didn't help.

Let us know what happens.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I know what I would do...I would be driving right now.