Need Help Running Custom Boot animation plz!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Adjutant, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Adjutant

Adjutant New Member

Alright im new to this forum, and i specifically joined because i need help with this particular problem. Im trying to download and run a custom boot animation that i found on youtube. It is called Red Rage v0.3. I have a Droid 2 and it is rooted.

Here is a link to the video i found:

It was more of a vid to show off the animation rather than a tutorial on how to get it. So i tried to figure out how to do it myself through some research. I am currently trying to accomplish this by means of these methods:

Download: Droid Life Custom Boot Animation - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

None of these methods have worked and ill list why, so that maybe you can help me fix the problem.
    NOTE: I noticed i dont have a data/local folder.

1. (using root explorer) first of all, i couldnt find the free version if there is one on the market. so i tried using astro, and i could have accomplished the task, if i had a data/local folder.

2. I have terminal emulator and typed in the listed commands, but when i get to the "cp sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local" it says "no such file directory". AGAIN, the problem could be that i dont have that data/local

3.Lastly I downloaded all the SDK files and placed all zips in correct spots and opened my command prompt. but when i issue a certain command, again "no such file directory". So if the problem is no data/local, how do i solve that, and if not, what am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!
  2. Adjutant

Adjutant New Member

problem solved everyone! figured out the problem. the problem was that i am just full retard. i labeled the file bootanimation.zip. so on my sdcard it was labeled bootanimation.zip.zip which i found out with terminal emulator, by means of :
    cd /sdcard

ls -l

thanks anyways!
  3. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

I'm slightly confused. There is a download link to the Red Rage boot animation in the video's description. By figuring out how to get/do the animation, do you mean solely how to install it?
    You won't see this directory with Astro since it doesn't have root access or su permissions.
    Verify your bootanimation.zip is named exactly that and in the root of your sdcard. If you have froyo, try the 2nd line as (you should have # prompt after 'su'):
    cp /mnt/sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local/
    As far as the SDK part, I'd have to know where you were at there... I know it's a bit more complex without Root Explorer. You get spoiled to not having to use CLI anymore.
  4. djakrse

djakrse Active Member

lol, wow I didn't realize it took me so long to make this post... was watching the Sampras/Agassi exhibition match on ESPN2. I knew I should've refreshed to check for answers!

Glad you got it :)