Need help rooting Razr Maxx Hd on 4.1.1

dillonorden

Reaction score
Like the title says i need help rooting my device. I used the razr hd utility and it messed up my phone into a bootloop. Luckly it was still under warranty to swap out. It came with 4.1.1 out the box ic tht matters. Any help would be extremely appreciated

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Like the title says i need help rooting my device. I used the razr hd utility and it messed up my phone into a bootloop. Luckly it was still under warranty to swap out. It came with 4.1.1 out the box ic tht matters. Any help would be extremely appreciated
There are two ways...KaChow's method above and the one I outline here. My method worked perfect for me this morning. In either method, you must restore your HD back to 4.0.4. To do this (1) download Matt G's RazrUtility 1.10. (2) After downloading the utility extract it to its own folder or to your desktop. The utility .zip MUST be extracted, you cannot run the utility from within the .zip file. (3) Make sure USB debugging is selected on your phone. (4) After extracting the utility .zip find the folder that contains the Motorola drivers. Connect your HD to your computer using the factory provided USB cable and install the drivers. (5) When prompted in the notifications bar about what type of USB connection select media. (6) Now, power off your phone. Connect your phone to your computer. (7) Press the power and the volume up and down rocker simutaneously. You will boot into a black screen with white lettering. (8) Scroll down to AP Fastboot using volume down (NOTE-you have to be quick because the phone will leave this screen and boot normally after a few seconds so scroll down to AP Fastboot and select using the power up quickly). If the phone reboots normally just power off and start over. (9) Once in AP Fastboot select option 1. This will restore your phone to 4.0.4. Make sure you let the utility run completely. (10) After the restore allow your phone to boot. Once booted, run option 2...root. (11) After rooting download and install Voodoo Rootkeeper. Open RootKeeper and protect root. Then, temporarly unroot. and power off your phone. (12) Power on your phone and you should receive an upgrade notification...security update. Take the update. Once the update is finished power off your phone and reboot. (13) Open RootKeeper and restore root. If you have root, then temporarily unroot and power off your phone. (14)Turn your phone back on and you should be notified of a second update...4.1.1. update. Take the update and allow the phone to reboot. After rebooting open Voodoo Rootkeeper and restore root.

OP
dillonorden

dillonorden

Reaction score
I did that and when it gets to system.img it fails to send it to my phone. Do i need an SD card to flash back to 4.0.4

KaChow

Reaction score
There is only one way to root the HD with 4.1.1...one way only. You must restore your HD back to 4.0.4. To do this (1) download Matt G's RazrUtility 1.10. (2) After downloading the utility extract it to its own folder or to your desktop. The utility .zip MUST be extracted, you cannot run the utility from within the .zip file. (3) Make sure USB debugging is selected on your phone. (4) After extracting the utility .zip find the folder that contains the Motorola drivers. Connect your HD to your computer using the factory provided USB cable and install the drivers. (5) When prompted in the notifications bar about what type of USB connection select media. (6) Now, power off your phone. Connect your phone to your computer. (7) Press the power and the volume up and down rocker simutaneously. You will boot into a black screen with white lettering. (8) Scroll down to AP Fastboot using volume down (NOTE-you have to be quick because the phone will leave this screen and boot normally after a few seconds so scroll down to AP Fastboot and select using the power up quickly). If the phone reboots normally just power off and start over. (9) Once in AP Fastboot select option 1. This will restore your phone to 4.0.4. Make sure you let the utility run completely. (10) After the restore allow your phone to boot. Once booted, run option 2...root. (11) After rooting download and install Voodoo Rootkeeper. Open RootKeeper and protect root. Then, temporarly unroot. and power off your phone. (12) Power on your phone and you should receive an upgrade notification...security update. Take the update. Once the update is finished power off your phone and reboot. (13) Open RootKeeper and restore root. If you have root, then temporarily unroot and power off your phone. (14)Turn your phone back on and you should be notified of a second update...4.1.1. update. Take the update and allow the phone to reboot. After rebooting open Voodoo Rootkeeper and restore root.

Just an FYI... the 4.1.1. update, downloads, then crashes, thus the JB OTA does not work properly.

I did that and when it gets to system.img it fails to send it to my phone. Do i need an SD card to flash back to 4.0.4

At the present time, the most complete way to obtain root and JB is through this method, if you need help with it, pm me.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Just an FYI... the 4.1.1. update, downloads, then crashes, thus the JB OTA does not work properly.

At the present time, the most complete way to obtain root and JB is through this method, if you need help with it, pm me.
KaChow...I don't want to start an argument here between two experienced users, but the method I explained above worked perfectly for me this morning. Restore to 4.0.4...reboot...root...temp unroot...reboot...check for updates...take security update...check root...temp unroot...power off...reboot...check for updates...take update and restore root. Worked like a charm the first try.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
No, use the RazrUtility 1.10 to restore back to 4.0.4. You have to do the restore function (Option 1) in the utility.

OP
dillonorden

dillonorden

Reaction score
I used razr hd utility 1.10 and it fails to send the system.img during the fastboot process. I did it 20+ times before i gave up n swapped it out at vzw. Im running windows xp could tht b my prob?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I used razr hd utility 1.10 and it fails to send the system.img during the fastboot process. I did it 20+ times before i gave up n swapped it out at vzw. Im running windows xp could tht b my prob?
Well, it could be, but if the drivers installed correctly it shouldn't matter I would think...but you never know. Have you extracted the utility to its own folder and using the factory USB cable?

OP
dillonorden

dillonorden

Reaction score
Yea. Im very familiar wit rootin Motorola devices. I rooted the og droid, d2g, and the bionic. This one is jus givin me the hardest time n idk if its bc im on xp its the device itself or if its bc its android 4.1.1

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yea. Im very familiar wit rootin Motorola devices. I rooted the og droid, d2g, and the bionic. This one is jus givin me the hardest time n idk if its bc im on xp its the device itself or if its bc its android 4.1.1
I'm not sure what the issue is. Perhaps you can PM Matt ask him for assistance. He hangs out in this forum sometimes or your best bet is to go to Droidrzr.com and PM him there. Someone may come along with a solution...but I don't know what to tell you. The only difference between KaChow's root method and the one I layed out above is that I use the OTA updates instead of sideloading them. If you can ever get back to 4.0.4 you can choose which one you want to use.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did you have it in AP Fastboot??
There are other modes on the recovery. If you are in the wrong mode, things don't work.

OP
dillonorden

dillonorden

Reaction score
Yes i did. In fastboot mode it would say forced fastboot id run the utility the screen will go black then it will say fastboot stickymode

snowman

Reaction score
first if you download the updates from Motorola they won't work right now they are bad and you have to use the links to dowload them from here (the link)
you don't need safestrap it will cause all kinds of problems , you only need it if you want to do special roms
this link was a lot of work by sigvor thanks to him for typing all this out

you have to go back to 4.04 to root then use Voodo to save the root, then unroot saving root, then update
after updating each time (two updates) go back and root and reload binaries in SU
then unroot and update , after your all the way back to Jelly Bean use Voodo to re-enable Root
do a hard reset after your back to Jelly bean and you may loose Voodo in this process , if so reload it from the store and I am usually able to reroot with it, even though it disappeared during hard reset.
here is the link follow it and you should be good, it's a bit of a process and again thanks to Matt for the way to do it
and thanks to Sigvor for doing this link for a step by step, and again this is for the MAXX HD just to be sure, that is the forum your in .
also if you get stuck along the way I have had to reload the USB drivers even though I had already done this. ( windows 7)

Root XT926 to 4.1.1 Jelly Bean When OTAs Are Not Working - DroidRzr.com

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
first if you download the updates from Motorola they won't work right now they are bad and you have to use the links to dowload them from here (the link)
you don't need safestrap it will cause all kinds of problems , you only need it if you want to do special roms
this link was a lot of work by sigvor thanks to him for typing all this out

you have to go back to 4.04 to root then use Voodo to save the root, then unroot saving root, then update
after updating each time (two updates) go back and root and reload binaries in SU
then unroot and update , after your all the way back to Jelly Bean use Voodo to re-enable Root
do a hard reset after your back to Jelly bean and you may loose Voodo in this process , if so reload it from the store and I am usually able to reroot with it, even though it disappeared during hard reset.
here is the link follow it and you should be good, it's a bit of a process and again thanks to Matt for the way to do it
and thanks to Sigvor for doing this link for a step by step, and again this is for the MAXX HD just to be sure, that is the forum your in .
also if you get stuck along the way I have had to reload the USB drivers even though I had already done this. ( windows 7)

Root XT926 to 4.1.1 Jelly Bean When OTAs Are Not Working - DroidRzr.com
"first if you download the updates from Motorola they won't work right now they are bad and you have to use the links to dowload them from here (the link) I have to take exception to this statement. No offense intended, but that statement is not true. There may have been a problem in the past, but my experience (yesterday) would indicate that the OTA updates (both the security update and the update to JB 4.1.1) are fine. I used Matt G's RazrUtility 1.10 to restore to 4.0.4. I then used the utility to root 4.0.4. I downloaded Voodoo Rootkeeper and protected rooted. I then temporarily unrooted using RootKeeper and powered off the phone. I rebooted and was notified almost immediately that there was an OTA update available. I downloaded (OTA) the first update (the security update) and rebooted. After reboot I restored root and checked to see if I was able to keep root after the update...I was. I then temporarily unrooted, powered off the phone and rebooted. Again I was almost immediately notified that there was another OTA update (the 4.1.1 update). I downloaded and installed the OTA update to 4.1.1 and after reboot I restored root. No problem what so ever. So, whatever problem Verizon or Motorola had initially it appears it has been fixed...for me and my Razr Maxx HD anyway. I doubt that Verizon, Motorola or my phone are special any different here in PA than anywhere else.

snowman

Reaction score
ok Jp thanks for the update I'm on almost everyday and they have been bad updates for a while
looks like they fixed then thanks for updating me