Need help rooting a Droid 1 2.2 Froyo FRG22D, first time rooter!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Techsniffer, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

Now, before I get the infinite posts to read this or read that I would like you guys to understand that I think my problem is an over abundance of methods, programs, kernels etc etc to root a Droid and I just haven't ran across many "first time rooters" threads to really know what to ask about the process. Too much information has left me wondering what I really need to do and what steps to take and in what order.

I am a technical minded person so I dont really need everything dumbed down but what I need is a step checklist so that I have everything I need when I need it during the process of rooting.

Another question I have after reading many posts is what functions/abilities do you lose by rooting your phone? I've seen posts talking about market fixes, system updates fixes, specialized apps, wifi, bluetooth for rooted users etc. I want to root and have the control any consumer should have over the products they buy, but I do not want to open a whole other can of worms by trying to gain that control. With that said I do understand "some" loss of functionality but as long as its not every other thing I want to do being gimped or disabled I dont mind finding workarounds for a few items.

What I might be asking for may seem like a lot but I think I'm trying to be prudent before diving into all of this. I would also appreciate links/suggestions to things I might need AFTER the root that can make my phone usage a better experience after I root, IE way to control/set CPU speeds, application control etc (I've heard about Set CPU but I'm not sure if this is the best product for the phone or for me)

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope someone can humor the new guy and help me out, maybe just giving me some links and an order to do it in would be great.

PS

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I already have the most current update for my Moto Droid 1 as of 9-2-10 and have adobe flash installed. I would really like to keep this Flash Player functionality.
  2. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

3. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

Thanks for the links, I think two things still perplex me.

1. I cant find any listing or mention of what my concerns about what functionality I might lose by rooting.

2. Rooting a Droid 1 with the FRG22D update, most posts are dated with the exception of one but I'm unsure if it is still relevant for this newest update.

Another thing I have looked for and I guess I'm just missing it, a way to backup my phones current state prior to doing anything that may void my warranty.

Any continued help is greatly appreciated.
  4. mwhartman

Hope this addresses your concerns.
  5. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

Since I dont know what to look for can you point me in the direction of a FRG22D rom to use?

And I saw this in another post and I was wondering is Rom Manager would be a better choice or is it using the same type backup as the other making it risky?

6. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

Anyone know the answer?
  7. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Not sure if your question is clear enough. First you ask what FRG22D rom to use would be recommended? I am using Cyanogenmod 6.0 available via RomManager. But this implies you have already rooted your phone.

The second part of your question implies you haven't rooted yet and the guide quoted actually shouldn't be used to root your phone. The second to last link in Mike's post (or the second one in my sig) takes you to about the best way to root your phone.

good luck
  8. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

I have not rooted my phone yet, I'm trying to get a clear picture of exactly what programs/files I need to have prior to starting. I do not want to get half way through this process only to find out I dont have what I need to finish and have to search more. I am asking question because it seems like most instructions only seem to cover 1 aspect of the process and not a "start to finish, including backups" guide. And then some state that you can use one of a multitude of a type of file (kernels/ROMs etc)
    and I'm unsure if i need those etc.

As for my question about the backup, well I posted what I read about SPRecovery and is warns about using it with the newer 2.2 updates on the Droid and I was wanting to know if the other program had the same potential issue with it.

I'm sorry if I am coming off ignorant about the subject, I've done a lot of reading about the subject which has only served to confuse me more rather than clarify things.
  9. teddyearp

teddyearp Active Member

Sounds like you have information overload. Take it one step at a time. Again, if you carefully read the thread mike and i suggested it will have all the steps you need to root your phone. There is NO way to backup your stock non-rooted system as to be able to use nandroid (the backup app) you must be rooted first, however, there are lots of other ways to return to stock.

good luck
  10. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

Sorry for my delayed reply, I've been on vacation with the wife and kids. I was unaware of that backup wasn't available until rooted, thanks for that. So if I understand correctly I will root my phone then backup and then what is the next logic step?

Against, you guys have been a huge help and once I get home tomorrow I will try and get everything together send get this rooted. This might be more advanced than I need but is their a ROM or kernel that is new and or preceded over others (if I even need one at all)?
  11. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

12. mwhartman

Thanks for sharing. It is always good to know that the tutorials members develop work so well.
    Mike
  13. skylordusa1

skylordusa1 New Member

Hey Fingersniffer,

I was in the same boat as you just a few weeks ago. Debating if I should root my phone or not. Trying to find the right posts with guides/directions/explanations. And there is alot of information you can gather. And you can get confused. I was a complete noob (still am) so I didnt really understand alot of what was being said. But when I joined this forum it was the best thing I ever did. Everyone was very helpful. I actually did all of the over the air updates straight from verizon so I was on a stock 2.2 droid 1. Everything I was looking for was about rooting for 2.1 so I was worried that I couldnt do it. Then I met Motocache1 and the rest was history. He wrote up a complete thread with step by step directions on how to root your droid 1 regardless of what version you are running. He actually let me be one of the first testers of his guide before he put it up to the public. He is a genius and very helpful. You can find the guide in my signature and I think someone else on this thread also posted it. I followed the guide and boom I was rooted with a custom recovery to allow me to make backup's on a 2.2 droid 1. Then after being rooted i was like now what. I then came across the custom roms section (Click Here). I decided to give a custom rom a try. Best thing I every did hahahahah I loved my phone before but now I love it even more. I recommend the liquid custom roms (Liquid Roms Here). They are super fast and everything runs super smooth. I havent tried any other roms besides Liquids but I dont really have to cause I love them so much. The best thing is to not overthink it. I thought it was gonna be super hard to root and install roms and backup settings and all that good stuff but it actually is really simple. Plus everyone on here is very helpful if you ask any questions.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  14. skylordusa1

skylordusa1 New Member

Also as for the functionality you might be losing. You wont lose any functionality by rooting. The rooting of the phone is the easiest part. You will have the same exact phone you are using now except you will be the root user. Meaning you can now do anything you want to the phone install/backup stuff like that which is not aloud when having the default permissions set by verizon/motorola. The market fixes and stuff like that you are reading about is more for people who are actually installing custom roms. Each developer has there own things they add to their roms. So more or less you should read the threads of the roms you are going to install to get a better understanding of the issues being experienced by the users who have installed them. If you see a custom rom that has alot of complaints about issues people are having. Best solution is to stay away hahahhahhahahah. Thats why I recommended the Liquid roms because they are great and I havent had any issues with them. And started with verision 1.3 and they are now on version v1.6. Which I am running now and its insane. If you have any questions let me know I will try my best to answer them for you. And if I cant there are plenty of people on here that can.
  15. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

Thanks again for all of the replies, I will try and make time to get my phone rooted today. The one lingering question I still had was about backing up and the program I should use to do it. As I stated in an earlier post there was some concern with the SPRecovery being that I'm on 2.2, and I was wanting to know if the ROM Manager would be a better option, or does that one have the same inherent risk for the same reasons?
  16. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

I followed the walkthrough by Moto (very well done by the way) and I now have a rooted phone, I think the one thing I'm still a little confused about is about the backup process. Can I do a manual backup prior to changing anything like ROM's etc or was that something that was done during the root itself?

And, this question might sound kinda stupid, but is there any sort of indicator to being rooted on the phone? I don't "see" anything that indicates that I am a super user etc. Anyway I can verify?

Update:
    Nevermind, I'm just blind and cant read the "Superuser" icon lol
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  17. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

Another question, since I'm just spamming at this point lol.

SetCPU, this is an application via the Market that I have seen mentioned on numerous websites etc and I was wondering if this was worth having or is it just as simple or possible to change these things myself? I want to have more control over the power of my CPU but I really dont think i want to put in the time into setting a lot of stuff manually etc as I would a gaming rig.
  18. Stoney0102

Stoney0102 New Member

The easiest and safest way to back up is a nandroid. you should now have a custom recovery (SPR or CW). turn your phone of and reboot into recovery (Hold X, press the power on while still holding X, and keep holding X till it boots to recovery). you should see an option for backup or nandriod. use the vol rock to move to it and select it using the cam button. do a simple nandroid back up and you should be good to go with a rom. If something goes wrong with the rom you can just restore the back up and try again.
  19. Stoney0102

Stoney0102 New Member

SetCPU is an awesome app for over/under clocking. I recommend it. make sure you set up some profiles in it to get the most out of your phone.
  20. Techsniffer

Techsniffer New Member

As per Stoney's advice I purchased SetCPU and even after just a few hours of use I can already see a noticeable difference in battery life and in performance of my phone. I used the thread Overclocking 101 as provided by mwhartman that gave me the insight on how to properly set it up and use it.

I am very pleased in both my decision to root my phone and to purchase SetCPU!

Now, this may sound silly after what I just said but how would I return my phone back to stock unrooted?

I only ask because my wife also has a Droid 1 2.2 Froyo but her's has been problematic and I was wanting to try rooting her's as well and see if it might resolve some of the performance issues before we consider a replacement. But in the off chance it doesnt help anything I would need to know how to return the phone to stock prior to returning the phone. Its not so much that I care if Verizon finds that the phone is rooted but mainly because I dont think it's any of their concern what I do with my phones.

I guess my last real question in my original quest on information would be about ROM's/Kernels. Which ones are preferred, safest, least amount of hassle both in implementation and upkeep of functionality etc, which ones to stay away from etc. Maybe some links to some of the better or more popular ones would be nice. Also any advice on how to choose the right ROM for me would be greatly appreciated.

Again, this forum has been a huge help and the members here are second to none for the amount of knowledge they impart onto new users, without hassle and without the usual elitist attitude found on most forums such as this. I'm very glad to have come here to ask for assistance.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010