Need help replacing microSD card

jtrx

Reaction score
I want to replace my current 2gb micro sd card with an 8gb one. I understand that I need to first save the info stored on the 2gb one to my pc, install and format new one, then save the info that was on 2gb card to 8 gb card. Problem is, I'm not sure exactly how to find the info that is stored on my current sd card. When I mount DI to pc (I mounted as a usb drive), it muonts 2 drives (L and M in my case). If I go into drive L then DCIM, that looks like it has the pics that are on my sd card. However, I also have some apps saved on SD card and can't seem to locate them on the pc.

So..what's the easiest way to identify everything on my current SD card so I know what to save to pc then save to new card?

I'm assuming I should save everything from current SD card to pc before removing the card from phone? I was also thinking about removing card first and using adapter to plug into pc then maybe that would make it easier to identify everything that's on current sd card.

Thanks for any help!!!

coskier

Reaction score
I just removed the card, put it in an adapter, copied everything to the PC, then from the PC to my new 16GB card, and put that back in the phone. Working just fine.

OP
J

jtrx

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll do it that way. I also just realized that DCIM is the phone storage, not sd storage...so it's not apparent to me what is on sd card when I just connect phone to pc.

OP
J

jtrx

Reaction score
coskier - one more question. How/when did yuo format the new sd card? I'm assuming it has to be formatted before saving things to it and putting it in phone. If so, did you format it in phone, remove it and plug into pc and save everything, then put back in phone...or did you format it on pc before saving info? If formatted on pc, how do you do that (or maybe it will promt me to format it when I first insert it)? I'm using windows 7 if that matters.

coskier

Reaction score
I didn't format it, I just put it in the adapter, put that in my card reader and Vista recognized the drive for me to copy files to.

E

Emtronics

But, if you want to format the card to remove any unwanted data and make it clean, simply insert it into an adapter, then into your PC. When Windows sees the drive in Explorer, RIGHT click the drive and choose Format.

kramer56

Reaction score
What exactly will a bigger gb card do for the phone? will it perform faster? and why did they say 8gb internal and 8gb external storage when they ship it with a 2gb card?

chartle

Reaction score
What exactly will a bigger gb card do for the phone? will it perform faster?

Its only going to give you more space to store things like movies and music. Think of it as a hard drive on a computer.