Need Help recovering Text Messages

roasted

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I am hoping the collective expertise here can help me with something....

I am trying to recover text messages from a factory defective Droid Razr. I need to send the phone back on a warranty return, but I'm hoping to pull all my text messages before I send it.

Here is the problem...my phone will only stay on for like 2 minutes max at a time before it power cycles. I have SMS Backup+ installed, but I can only recover like 5-10 messages per power cycle (its takes a few seconds to startup the wifi, app, and login).

Is there anyway I can use a USB cable to transfer the texts to my new phone? Or can I use the "My Files" utility to transfer them directly to the SD card? Or do you guys know of an app that will transfer the texts to the SD card (instead of backing them up online)?

Many thanks in advance.

(Additional info: I am running the standard, non rooted ICS)

Tanno

Reaction score
Get Super Backup from the market if you can.

It will backup the sms to the sd card... then move the sd card to the new phone.

New phone:
Install Super Backup and restore the sms.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You could also try sms backup & restore. In preferences, you can set where to store your messages with your external/removable sd card as the choice you would want...so no need to wait to for it to connect it to the cloud. You can also decide which messages you want to backup...if you only want messages from certain people or from a certain date.

Given that your phone only gives you a couple minutes time,
* first, install sms backup & restore.
* next, open app, select preferences, select Backup Folder then select External Storage.
* next, in preferences go to Backup Preferences, check Selected Conversations Only, then select “Select Conversations" to select whose text messages you want to save.
* The text messages backup pretty fast but if your phone does not give you enough time to backup all the messages you want, you can backup certain people's texts in one backup, then backup other people's texts in the next backup. It will save the backups to different folders (rather than over-write previous backup).
* on your new phone, install sms backup & restore, your sd card and you are set to restore your text messages.

You may have to do this in separate power ups, but you should be able to get it all done. I found this app to give me the most flexibility in how & what text messages I want to save. Best of luck to you.

freyawright

Reaction score
No matter I would check with my carrier first to see if they can clear this up on their end. Make sure they are not those text messages you get from certain companies that you don't realize you signed up for because those can be blocked by your carrier which I had to do. See if you add them to your blocked call list if it will take effect also in texts? Unless they are people you know but just wanted those deleted. So you can recover text messages from HTC here.

Last edited: