1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Need Help Please

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by CaringAngel, May 23, 2012.

1. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

My son decided to try to put a "custom rom" on his Droid Razr Maxx and now the phone will not work...add to that that the white light keeps coming on, I'm guessing the battery is drained...I downloaded the droid utility and the drivers but when I plugged the phone into my pc it didn't even register as a device...again I'm guessing because of the battery. We just want to get the phone back to normal...Any help would certainly be appreciated as my son needs his phone....Thank you very much, Angel
  2. FoxKat

FoxKat Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Angel, off the battery is dead any attempt to flash a recovery rom onto the phone will fail. First, make sure the phone is powered off, then plug the phone into the stock motorola charger. You may have to wait for wire a while for the phone to charge, but if you see an animated battery, that's a good sign. Wait till the battery says 100%, to check, tap either of the volume buttons. Once fully charged, go to the Droid Hacks section and download the Droid Razr Utility (the stickie thread at the top). Using the utility, restore the phone to stock (option 1). You will need to put the phone into USB Debugging mode, and then into Fastboot mode before doing the restore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
  3. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

Just one more thing my son says the custom rom did not have a runme file and that was what caused his issues....We are leaving the phone to charge for the night and praying someone here has a suggestion that will help us restore his phone....Thanks guys, sweet dreams when you all get there!
  4. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

Thanks Fox, we will wait until tomorrow and we will be back and I've already downloaded the specified files!!!! Huggsssssssss and thank you so much! :biggrin:
  5. FoxKat

We're not out of the woods yet. If the phone isn't charging you have only a couple difficult options available. Let me know if the animated battery appeared when you plugged the phone in. At least I'll know that's going OK.
  6. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

no battery icon at all

No animated battery :( on my way to drive the kids to school, be back around 9:30am EST....hugs!
  7. FoxKat

Wow, you leave early for the drive. It's 5:33am here. OK, so you didn't see an animated battery indicating it was charging. You tried pressing one of the volume buttons briefly and didn't get the screen to wake up? If so, the charging system isn't initiating and your options are as said before...

Either fashion or purchase a http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/146492-how-why-make-your-own-motorola-factory-cable.html (which charges and supplies power to the phone even when the charging system isn't waking up), or bypassing the power jack on the phone and by opening the back and jumpering the power cables directly to the battery terminals, charging directly ()

The first option is the safest by far. The second option will void the warranty and if not careful you can potentially overcharge the battery resulting in permanent damage to it. Technically, the warranty is already void due to rooting and flashing of ROMs, but those issues are technically reversible. Opening the case may be detectible and therefore irreversible, and certainly if the battery is damaged due to the second option the factory will know and void the warranty as well.
  8. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

Fox, when we try to use option 1 it says cannot find specified path....can you tell me why? what am I doing wrong? We do still have the battery issue...works plugged in we are able to get to the recovery and ap fastboot...can this be done via SD card as the phone goes to 0 battery when plugged into the computer....
  9. FoxKat

First, you have to extract the entire zip file to the c:\ root directory of your computer's hard drive, and then in the folder it creates, right click on the .bat file and choose to send to desktop as a shortcut. Then run the shortcut from the desktop and it will be able to successfully find the files and folder.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 using Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.
  10. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

Tried to do it via SD card and it says E-Signature verification failed, Help?
  11. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

Okay Fox, did as you suggested and it would have worked except for the low battery issue...as long as it is plugged into the wall it stays on and right now it has a triangle with a yellow explanation point and a little droid guy. We put things on the SD card and tried to use option one that way....so far no luck. I've looked for the Motorola Factory USB cord online as I am not talented enough technically to make my own, and have found several on ebay but not sure they are trustable....Any suggestions? I just get the feeling that if we could get past either the e-signature verification fail or if the phone would stay on long enough it would all be okay....

I'll be back a little after 9pm EST and then back to bed as I gget up at 4:30am to drive a school bus, lol, that's why I was awake so early this morning!

Hugs, Angel
  12. FoxKat

I gotta say, I love your "Hugs".:D It brings a much needed smile to me each time I see it.

I am presently at the hospital with my wife and 93 year old father-in-law who lives with us. He fell out of bed last night and broke his right hip. He's being operated on tomorrow morning. My wife is a cancer patient and today was supposed to be her last Chemo treatment. Unfortunately she contracted an infection, has inflammation, will now be on antibiotics and will undergo a procedure tomorrow to relieve the swelling. As a result, her Chemo was postponed to next Thursday.

I won't even go into another situation that took place yesterday night which only served to add stress to an already stressful night. To say it's been an eventful 24 hours is a huge understatement. Any pleasantries are a welcome event.

I will help you in any way I can. We just need to get that battery charged or get you a Factory Programming cable fashioned. I suspect the son had learned a valuable lesson...

I'll catch up with you this evening. Hugs back at ya! Phil :)

13. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

Fox, I will definitely be keeping your family and you in my prayers tonight...I truly appreciate the help! and yes, my son who is also a Philip, thanks you as well...and he has learned his lesson...Looking forward to hearing from you and please let your wife know we are praying her through!!! Hope her dad is doing better in the am!!! Sweet dreams when you get there!

Hugsa and Goodnight my new friend, Angel :)
  14. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

What is a USB MicroB Plug Breakout Board? Is this possibly an easier way to make the Motorola factory cable?
  15. FoxKat

A breakout board is exactly what you think it is. It's a board that brings connections on a terminating cable, such as the end of a USB plug and takes it to a series of open connections on the middle of the board, then the same would be on the other side, giving you the option of changing the endpoint of pins on the opposite end of one cable to terminate on different pins on the end of the opposing cable.

It would make creating a Motorola USB Factory cable quite easy. Frankly I never thought of it but knew of them. Just shows how we all can help each other!! Way to go! :icon_ banana:

See USB MicroB Plug Breakout Board - SparkFun Electronics for the one that would plug into the phone, and Breakout Board for USB microB - SparkFun Electronics to go from the end of the stock Motorola cable to the terminals. As an alternative, you can use USB A Female Breakout Board with Screw Terminals - Winford Engineering for the other end to go from a USB-A cable (standard cable that plugs into a computer USB Port).
  16. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

Fox,

Pssstttttt, I need more than that? lol....I found those things by happenstance so I'm still lost...will I need a soldering iron still? Is there a tutorial anywhere that would help me?

How is your father-in-law and how is your wife?

Thanks for everything, huggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggssssssss, Angel :)
  17. FoxKat

Sorry, made the assumption that the information on the boards was understood. The first two which are the MicroUSB type are plated solder connections. The third which accepts USB-A plug is screw terminals. Would have liked to see a screw variety for the MicroUSB version.

You may get away with just feeding the writes through and twisting them off. Here's a guide for the respective pin configurations.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.
    Last edited: May 28, 2012
  18. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

Fox, I am still here but have not been able to get things fixed yet...Was waiting on a guy from PC Solutions here in Gallipolis to get back to me and he never did...if I order the cord would you be willing to walk me through? I know it will not get here for like two weeks bbecause I have to order it from Japan...:/

hugs, Angel
  19. CaringAngel

CaringAngel New Member

Foxcat??? I had a cord fashioned by the guy at our pc solutions store and he used the directions from these forums....now, When I plug it into the Droid Razr Maxx and then plug it into my usb port on my laptop, the screen goes black on the laptop and nothing happens with the phone....What am I doing wrong? It's possible the guy made the cord wrong...is there anyone on these forums that would be willing to make the cord and allow me to pay them as BlackHat is always out of stock and oirdering from Hong Kong will take two weeks.,,,:/

Any help would be appreciated....Perhaps I am doing things wrong with the phone but when yoiu plug it into thr wall the red motorola insignia comes on and says dual core technology....

Huggggggggggggggggggggggggggggssss and thank you, Angel
  20. FoxKat

CA, the cord was not intended to be used with the USB port of the computer, it's to be used with the Wall Adapter. The USB port doesn't put out enough current to have the desired effect. Also, by shorting the two pins on the USB plug, it's essentially back-shorting the laptop's USB jack and pulling down the voltages on the laptop, which is causing the screen to go black.

Get the original STOCK MOTOROLA charging block and use that with the cable. The cable is FIRST intended to charge, although if it was crafted incorrectly it won't allow data transmission so you may have a bad cable, or it may charge but not work for the Fastboot flashing. Allow the red logo screen to continue without interruption, and in about 10 seconds it should either change to the Charge only screen (large animated battery), or it may boot, or it may not change at all since this was a buggered up flash from before. Don't worry, let it sit for at least an hour or two, then come back, disconnect the cable and see if you can pick up where you left off, assuming the battery has received 50% or better of charge.

You DO still have the STOCK cable, don't you? That will be the cable you use to do the flashing.
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012
Search tags for this page
5 pin micro usb
galaxy charger cable pinout
galaxy s3 pinout
how to make a motorola v50 series to micro usb pinouts
micro usb 11 pin
micro usb charger pinout

micro usb pinout

micro usb plug pinout
pin micro usb
pinout micro usb