Need Help Please

CaringAngel

Reaction score
What does the "fashioned" cord look like, is the connector's pins (where he soldered the jumper) visible?

You saw the diagram, can you confirm (perhaps with a magnifying glass) that JUST the two pins that need to be jumpered are? Does the connector (visible if you look into the end of the MicroUSB plug have 5 pins or 6)?

View attachment 50870View attachment 50871

He did not use the pins, he just cut the cord down by the USB plug...as he said he didn't think it made a difference....

Also, here is why I thought it had to be plugged into my laptop to work..."So the Factory Cable has +5V DC on pin 4 of the Mini/Micro connector. That alone isn't enough to make the Factory Cable fire up the phone. If you take a Factory Cable, connect it to your phone, and then plug it into a USB cube (you know, the little wall wart that you plug into the wall and it has a USB port on it for charging), nothing will happen. The reason is that the Factory Cable is for flashing, not charging. In order to do anything the phone needs to detect that there is a computer at the other end of the data lines -- then it will fire right up -- even with no battery installed."

Taken from Motocache1's post regarding how to make your own cord....Joey is now attempting to make one but we've no soldering iron....will have to go shopping in the am I think...
"

As you see in the diagram, pins 1 and 4 are jumpered on the MicroUSB end, but you will also notice that pin 4 is "moved" in the numerical order just to make the understanding easier. It would still be the 4th pin from the end that is electrically connected to the first pin, but to a novice, they may misinterpret the diagram to mean pin 1 gets jumpered to pin 2 or something.

Personally I would have drawn the diagram like this to avoid confusion:

View attachment 50871[/QUOTE]

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
He did not use the pins, he just cut the cord down by the USB plug...as he said he didn't think it made a difference....

Also, here is why I thought it had to be plugged into my laptop to work..."So the Factory Cable has +5V DC on pin 4 of the Mini/Micro connector. That alone isn't enough to make the Factory Cable fire up the phone. If you take a Factory Cable, connect it to your phone, and then plug it into a USB cube (you know, the little wall wart that you plug into the wall and it has a USB port on it for charging), nothing will happen. The reason is that the Factory Cable is for flashing, not charging. In order to do anything the phone needs to detect that there is a computer at the other end of the data lines -- then it will fire right up -- even with no battery installed."

Taken from Motocache1's post regarding how to make your own cord....Joey is now attempting to make one but we've no soldering iron....will have to go shopping in the am I think...
"

As you see in the diagram, pins 1 and 4 are jumpered on the MicroUSB end, but you will also notice that pin 4 is "moved" in the numerical order just to make the understanding easier. It would still be the 4th pin from the end that is electrically connected to the first pin, but to a novice, they may misinterpret the diagram to mean pin 1 gets jumpered to pin 2 or something.

Personally I would have drawn the diagram like this to avoid confusion:

View attachment 50871
[/QUOTE]

OK, so if Motocache1 says it should work to program then of course it should. And of course that's also what I thought originally *hence the name "Factory Programming Cable", but I was trying to see if perhaps it would STILL juice the battery as it has been indicated to be able to do.

Alright, if you check my last post, I edited the instructions slightly to indicate it is the AP SBF menu selection that you choose to "trick" the phone into Charge only mode.

I just did this with my phone and it worked the first time I tried.

As for splicing the cable itself, it definitely won't work with SOME cables since they may only have 4 wires running through them, and it will definitely not work with SOME 5 wire cables as well, since they may have simply terminated the 5th wire (pin 4 wire), since it's technically not used in the standard MicroUSB connector. That's why Motocache1 said you need to do it at the CONNECTOR TERMINALS, since there may not be anything connected to the pin 4 on the MicroUSB connector.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Gotta run, be home and online in 1/2 hr or so.

CaringAngel

Reaction score
Try this:

1. Unplug you device

2. Reset your phone by holding vol down + power for approximately 10 seconds
3. Once your device powers down, release vol down and power, then very quickly press and hold vol up + vol down + power to boot into Boot Mode Selection Menu
4. Press vol down to highlight the BP SBF option
5. Press vol up to select BP SBF
6. Plug your device in
7. Hold the power button for about 3 seconds and release. Your device should power off. You may have to repeat this step a few times to get the device to turn off
8. Your device should now boot into power-off charge mode and begin charging
9. Once you unplug your charger at this point (whether or not you wait for the battery to fully charge), your device will remain in a powered down state and not consume the battery's remaining charge

IF THIS DOES NOT WORK: Try the whole thing all over again. You may need to do this a few times for it to work. Unplug the phone with each new attempt.

okay we are going to try this out now...

Last edited by a moderator:

CaringAngel

Reaction score
Fox, this phone does not have the AP SBF option but it does have a BP SBF flash.....:blink:

CaringAngel

Reaction score
Doh! Yes, BP SBF...

Fixing the original post now.

I understand, I'm driving ya nuts!!! LOL, we are going to go get some stuff tomorrow and attempt to make our own cable as now, we can't do the trick because when the phone is unplugged it will not do anything not even turn on. When we plug it in and go through the steps, it turns on by itself, lol....anyway, we will be back at it tomorrow!!! Sweet peaceful dreams when you get there and thanks for all the help....We will be back tomorrow~~~You have been warned, hehehehe :icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Turning itself off is fine, but it should turn itself on again to start the charging.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2 with Google voice to text translation. Please excuse any minor spelling, punctuation, capitalization or grammatical errors.

CaringAngel

Reaction score
We are waving the white flag of surrender and ordering the cable from Hong Kong....thanks for all the help and I will be back once the cable arrives for further instruction, for now hugggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggsssssss!!! :biggrin:

altjx

Reaction score
This is a cool thread. I'm very curious to see the outcome. I hope everything goes well, although I haven't played with my phone long enough to be able to help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

CaringAngel

Reaction score
This is a cool thread. I'm very curious to see the outcome. I hope everything goes well, although I haven't played with my phone long enough to be able to help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

Thanks, admittedly, I'm Droid challenged lol...I did have the original Motorola Droid for two years but switched to Apple iPhone 4 s...My son chose to stick with Droids...He is the adventurous one and the reason I'm in here, I like fixing stuff lol...I found this particular forum to be the best when it comes to information and help! These guys are awesome especially FoxKat, I'm biased, of course, because he has helped me so much and taken his valuable time to do so...Anyway I hope you enjoy your phone!!! Have a great week! Huggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggsssss, Angel :):biggrin::icon_ lala::icon_ banana:

CaringAngel

Reaction score
Okies guys, I no have the cord from Hong Kong....What next please? Remember that is has a white light and we can only get to the screen to choose ap Fastboot etc...I have everything downloaded on my computer just nott sure what to do firrst now....Help??? Please be here Foxcat....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Start the Droid Razr Utility by running the .bat file, then choose option 1.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CaringAngel

Reaction score
Start the Droid Razr Utility by running the .bat file, then choose option 1.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

WOOOOTTTTTT YAYYYYYYYYYY Did all that and it seems to have returned to normal...plugged it in and the battery is sitting at a big fat 0% see the red thingy at the bottom of the battery icon slowly moving to and fro....after it charges, praying it does, is there annything else that will need to be done besides a normal set up and reactivation?

Big huggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggsssssss Foxcat!!!! Angel

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
WOOOOTTTTTT YAYYYYYYYYYY Did all that and it seems to have returned to normal...plugged it in and the battery is sitting at a big fat 0% see the red thingy at the bottom of the battery icon slowly moving to and fro....after it charges, praying it does, is there annything else that will need to be done besides a normal set up and reactivation?

Big huggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggsssssss Foxcat!!!! Angel

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana:
dancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroiddancedroid
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You know, you could RENT that cable and probably pay your monthly mortgage just from the members here!!

I'm sooooo happy for you! Now, tell that son of yours that if he screws up the phone again...he's going to have to answer to ME.

:icon_ devil::icon_ devil::icon_ devil::icon_ devil::icon_ devil::icon_ devil::icon_ devil::icon_ devil::icon_ devil::icon_ devil:

I assume you are now using the STOCK charger and cable? If not, allow the phone to reach about 20%, then remove the Factory Programming cable and plug in the Stock Charging. Nothing else to do except let it charge to 100% with power off, about 5.5 hours. To check its charging progress briefly press and release one of the volume buttons.

Clearly it was DEAD, since the meter is showing 0%. Next, power it up, go through all the normal activation steps, use it and continue to use it normally till it reaches 15% and signals "Low battery" on the screen. Then power it down and repeat the charging to 100% with power off. After that, you're good to go.

OK, so now that you're an expert, you need to help me and the others here spread the word about just how great these forums are, and how wonderful the Moderators and SuperModerators are. You are also hereby inducted into the FoxKat Team 2012. Your duties entail giving back to the community in any way you can, and don't be a stranger!

Last edited: