need help picking a rom

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by Big Ry, May 21, 2010.

1. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

I'm running UD10 now, which is very snappy and has cool features like 360 degree rotating screen, cube music app, etc. But its got some awful problems like the indicator light not working, home and launcher not rotating, live wallpapers freezing, plus many others.

So I think I want to try bugless now. I just want a quick snappy OS. That's top priority for me. How do I go about switching? Do I need to unroot and go back to stock? Can I use Tom manager to do it all? Sorry for the noob questions.
  2. c0y0te

c0y0te New Member

BB is on RomManager (premium,) just make sure to wipe data/cache and format system, boot, data and cache a couple times each. It runs cooler that way and with less posibility of running into wierdness.

ADB or Clockwork menu commands will both work. I like using Clockwork cuz I'm lazy and don't want to bother with ADB unless I have to.

Unfortunately, there is no way to do that without booting into recovery and manualy installing from the .zip after the formats (that I know of.) So honestly, I would just dl from his original post just to have the .zips in an easily accessable spot on your SD card.

I keep it all in a folder called Bugless_Beast with all the kernels and themes so I can check out which one I like the most. (1.0LV works best for me.)

Or you could just find it all where Rom Manager puts it in Clockwork, but whatever thats a bunch of folders to search through and you can't get all the kernels and themes at the same time.

So just dl to sd, reboot into Clockwork, wipe/format everthing, apply the BBv1 .zip, then theme and oc kernel of your choice and enjoy. No need to lose root or anything. Just make sure to make a backup before doing anything, obv.
  3. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

Wait, what's the point of ROM manager if u gotta install the zip file like any other OS?

Also, I don't know what clockwork is. I have sprecovery, is that the same thing?
  4. bhughesiii

bhughesiii New Member

Clockwork is the recovery that comes with rom manager. When you download a rom it will auto install.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  5. dbz443

dbz443 New Member

If your using rom manager there is no need to manually do anything in recovery. Pick the rom you want from the list and it will ask you weather or not u want to wipe or backup. Just put an X in the box and it will automaticaly boot into recovery and perform everything you asked it too.
  6. 7h3.4pp12en7ic3

7h3.4pp12en7ic3 New Member

Actually, that option just wipes your data/cache partitions. What c0y0te was referencing is that if you also wipe system and boot, it tends to run cleaner. Also, doing it his way lets you wipe a couple times to be sure. CW only wipes once.
  7. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

OK so I need to flash CW according to ROM manager. Can I just do it in ROM manager or so I need to remove sprecovery first?
  8. AmericanNomads

AmericanNomads New Member

Actually curious of something. I have BBv1 but I got it from ROM Manager. I was thinking about switching to SPRecovery (mainly cus thats only way Ive ever manually installed a ROM) and installing BBv1 again but wiping 3x which leads me to my question, download the ROM from Pete's page but when I download the kernel where do I put that? Thats what Im alittle confused about, I dont know what file do I put the kernel or what to do to install it cus Id rather install it myself instead of using ROM Manager because I'd like to wipe 3x, thanks for any insight
  9. zerosouls

zerosouls Soulless Droid Premium Member

Try the ones from my sig... you wont regret
  10. gszeman

gszeman New Member

1) I would keep Clockwork...just my opinion, but it works well for me.

2) Just put the kernel on your sdcard (I use sdcard/ROMs, I have several kernels in there in case one of the faster kernels causes issues I can reboot into recovery and install a slower kernel that my phone likes better). Once you have the kernel on your sdcard reboot into recovery>>install .zip from sdcard>>choose .zip from sdcard>>navigate to the .zip and you are set...it will install the new kernel.

And, you can still wipe 3x using ROM manager...just reboot into recovery and choose partition menu...then just choose format for each partition 3x.
  11. AmericanNomads

AmericanNomads New Member

But once I download the ROM it asks me to either wipe or back up. I click wipe and it does everything else from there I never seen an option to wipe a few times
  12. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

you can only wipe multiple times in recovery (sprecovery, clockwork, etc).

UPDATE:
    i flashed clockwork, wiped data and cache, installed BBv1.0 + that other update thing listed in ROM manager. Everything seems to have went well. Its running smooth so far with no major issues...live wallpaper hasnt frozen yet either :icon_ banana:

but I am having some issues...

1) I still have no LED light...WTF is going on? Why can't I get this damn light back? I like live off that damn thing. I'm always checking my phone all paranoid because I don't know if I didnt hear a TXT or email that was important.

2) Doesnt BBv1.0 have wifi tether? can someone please direct me to it, because I cannot find it.
  13. gszeman

gszeman New Member

Right, that's why I said to go into recovery (power + x) and choose the PARTITIONS MENU. From there you can format each partition (Data, Cache, System, Boot) multiple times.

1) This is a known issue some people are having with certain ROMs...There are a couple of "fixes" for this. You can either make a nandroid backup of your current ROM, then install another ROM that has not removed the "Trackball Settings" and then reinstall the nandroid backup. Or, download Nexus TrackBall Switcher from the market, open the app and select "Enable Trackball Now" in the bottom left corner. This option has worked well for me and several others...only thing is you need to click "Enable Trackball Now" after a reboot.

2) Download Wireless tether for root users from the market. It isn't included in the ROM.
  14. c0y0te

c0y0te New Member

Rom Manager is limited simply by the fact that it is running within the rom itself and it doesn't give you an option to format system or boot partitions.

You can hit the button as many times as you want in recovery. You even need to be in recovery if you do it with ADB, as far as I know.

YOU NEED TO FORMAT SYSTEM AND BOOT, WIPING DATA/CACHE IS NOT ENOUGH
    THIS IS A HIGHLY MODIFIED ROM AND YOU DON'T WANT ANY LEFTOVER DATA
    FORMAT ALL 4 PARTITIONS MULTIPLE TIMES, JUST DO IT!
    (then reinstall the rom/kernel/theme, obv)

CW is better than SP, imo because you have the PARTITIONS menu that lets you do this without using ADB. Also, you don't have to rename everything to "update.zip" because you can apply any .zip through the APPLY .ZIP FROM SD menu.

Like I said, put all your .zips (kernels and everything) in one folder so you can access them easily from CW. (Kernels are applied the same way as any other .zip. Just find it and apply. They will overwrite the old one so don't worry about it.)

If you try to boot a kernel that puts you in a loop and you have to battery pull, you will thank yourself (and me) for doing it this way. You will save yourself the trouble of having to flash a backup of an entire rom. Just flash a new kernel.zip until you get to the one that works the best.

REMEMBER: You can't get into Rom Manager if you can't boot your rom. That's what recovery is for.

FWIW, my led notifications work fine. But then, I formated system, boot, data and cache MULTIPLE times, etc. So... there you have it.

YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT KIND OF TINY ISSUES YOU MIGHT RUN INTO IF YOU DON'T FORMAT YOUR PARTITIONS

Rom Manager is cool, but limited. I use it to manage backups and update my current rom, but that's about it. I have used it to dl new roms, (CM, for instance) but I always move the .zip to an easily accessable location afterwards as I ALWAYS format my partitions when moving between different roms so I know I can make a good clean backup. Hell, I even reformat before restoring a backup if I am moving between roms. Better safe than sorry.

This info needs to be Sticky'ed at the top of the Hacking section, IMO. Trying to keep your data between rom changes is just sloppy. Use Titanium if you have to, but be careful with the system data with that too.
  15. gszeman

gszeman New Member

When the issue started for me was when I went from bbv1 to cyanogen. I went back to BB for the speed, and noticed that the LEDs weren't working anymore. I don't know if they were working on cyanogen or not because I only had it installed for a few hours. When I went from BB to cyanogen I used clockwork recovery>>partitions menu>>format data, cache, system and boot 3x. Same for going from cyanogen back to BB...in fact I think I wiped 4x because my OCD made me do it over again after I did it the first time because I went out of order lol...data, cache, system, boot was how I read someones instructions...so I always do it in that order :p

So, I am not sure what happened in between switching ROMs, but I know I wiped several times each time...wish I could pin it down more specifically than that. The only other thing is the Settings>>Sound & Display>>Trackball Settings. Some ROMs still have that setting and it seems they don't have issues with it...I wish it were just an apk that could be re-added, but I think it's in the framework right?
  16. Big Ry

Big Ry New Member

ok, downloading the trackball app seems to have worked. there was no setting for starting it up after boot, but it appears to have started itself anyway. also, taskiller didnt stop it from working (without even ignoring it) which is nice.

got the wifi tether app, sweet :icon_ banana:

i just noticed another issue though. just like on UD10, the home screens and launcher dont autorotate. the only way i can get them to do it is if i slide open the keyboard or put my droid in the MM dock. why is this happening and how do i change it?

does anyone use earth rot LW? if so, have you noticed that since the 2.0.1 >> 2.1 switch, it stretched the image when in landscape mode? it never used to do this for me when i had rooted 2.0.1...ever since i switched to unrooted official 2.1, rooted UD10, and now rooted BBv1.0, its been an issue. the LW still works, it just looks retarded all stretched out like that. i dont think i have any other LWs that do this... however, i just noticed that "seeds of life" wont even load in landscape mode. and if you set it in portrate mode then slide the keyboard open, it just freezes :(