Need help or advice on water damaged phone.

clopez162

Reaction score
I went fishing the other day and forgot my phone was in my pocket and went into the ocean. I then realized i still had my phone and quickly got out and my phone was probably submerged about 30 secs. Afterwards is stayed on for about 3 mins then shut off. When i got home i put in rice for a couple of hours then i removed the back panel and set it in front a fan. The next day when it was dry, i plugged it in and now i get the white light of death. Should i just give up hope? or it stick it out to see if it starts up?

William_04_x

Reaction score
Chances are, after being submerged in salt water, its done. You tried putting it in a bag of dry rice to try and absorb any residual moisture, but that won't get rid of the corrosive salt.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Snoking

Reaction score
I dumped my RC airplane in the salt water. After it dried I took an old toothbrush to the ESC circuit card and scrubbed it to get it working again.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
probably too late now, but you should have rinsed the phone with mineral water to wash off the salt water.

then put it in a bag of rice.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
probably too late now, but you should have rinsed the phone with mineral water to wash off the salt water.

then put it in a bag of rice.

I would suggest rather than mineral water (read minerals = deposits), to use distilled water (read distilled = pure H2O), to do the cleaning. Still, the damage may have already been done. Salt water is highly conductive and would also result in corrosion, especially while electrically charged.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
I would suggest rather than mineral water (read minerals = deposits), to use distilled water (read distilled = pure H2O), to do the cleaning. Still, the damage may have already been done. Salt water is highly conductive and would also result in corrosion, especially while electrically charged.

i meant distilled water :D