Need help installing roms!

Discussion in 'ChevyNo1' started by haxerpaylay, Jan 12, 2011.

1. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay New Member

Yes I am a major noob.
    I have had success installing a new kernel, than I attemped to instal the newest simply stunning rom., via Rom manager, and I keep getting a boot loop with the simply stuning intro. Please help me find out what I'm doing wrong.

Sent from my Moto Droid.
  2. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay New Member

Bump!

MOTO DROID
  3. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

rom manager is known to have issues. I download all my rom's to my pc, then usb them to my sd. I flash them from there. Also, the devs give good instructions on the pc that you can't see in rom manager. But most rom's require a full wipe to install successfully. Hope this helps. Post again if you have problems with this.

Swyped from Droid Forums App
  4. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay New Member

If I do a full wipe is it gonna erase my backups? If it doesn't work again and I have to restore using a backup is everything gonna be there like before I changed roms?

Sorry for the noob questions.

Sent from my Droid.
  5. CJM

Your nan backups will be there. I can flash umpteen roms, change settings in all of them. When I flash a backup, its like I never flashed a rom. I also use Titanium Backup. It saves the data from apps. Let me know how it goes.

Swyped from Droid Forums App
  6. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Your nandroid backups are on your SDcard and will not be wiped. Just so you know (assuming you are using Clockwork), they are in: sdcard/clockwork/backups.

Here's the directions for installing manually:

Installation Instructions [ClockWork]
    1) Download the ROM of your choice and place somewhere on your SD Card
    2) Reboot into ClockWork recovery

3) Scroll down and select “Nandroid
    4) Select “Backup
    5) After backup is complete
    6) Select “Wipe data”
    7) Select “Wipe Cache
    8) Select “Install zip from sdcard”

9) select “Choose Zip from sdcard”
    10) Navigate to where you placed the ROM and select it
    11) On the Confirm Install screen scroll down and select “Yes

12) Your ROM will be installed
    13) Reboot from the main screen of ClockWork Recovery

INSTALLATION NOTES: I only do the wipes when new rom is from a different Dev or is based on different OS version. The first boot of a new rom quite often takes a very long time. Do not panic, be patient

Here's some notes concerning Clockwork that I have developed over the past 6-7 months of using it:

Clockwork Notes:

The first thing about Clockwork is trying to get Rom Manager to flash a good copy onto your phone. Here is a fool proof method to determine whether you have a good copy before trying to reboot into it. Begin by scrolling down and flashing the alternative recovery – SpRecovery. After it successfully loads, scroll up and flash Clockwork. If it takes longer than 3-5 seconds to get the popup telling you the install was successful, reflash it over and over until you do get that popup in 3-5 seconds. Once that happens, you have a good install.

Once you have rebooted into Clockwork and are navigating through its menu, if at any time it hesitates that means it is about to reboot automatically. When Clockwork does reboot and the screen goes dark, immediately press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Clockwork will now be totally stable until you finish.

If the first thing you do with Clockwork, during any particular session, is to try and make a Nandroid backup and you get an error message (without regard to what it says), you should just wait a few seconds and not do anything. That is because Clockwork is about to reboot the phone. As stated above, as soon as the screen goes dark, press and hold the X key until the phone reboots back into Clockwork. Then start over and Clockwork will work as it was intended for the rest of the session.
  7. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay New Member

Just installed a new rom! Worked perfectly. But my apps didn't automatically download buts cool. Ill just Download them again.

Also what roms do y'all like?

Sent from my Droid.
  8. CJM

Glad you got it. I'm partial to Cyanogen right now. Other than that one, I like SS, Project Elite, Liquid Frozen Yogurt, & Ultimate Droid.
  9. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Any and all of them. Now you can install any rom you wish, get it set the way you like and then make a nandroid backup. You can then repeat and repeat. You can then daily do restores to whichever rom you feel like for that day. I now keep two roms (UD and Sapphire) on the phone each with a different theme. That way if I'm in a Gold and Black mood, I restore the Sapphire nandroid and if I'm in a black and white mood, I restore the UD nandroid.

BTW, it's great fun to, at the start of dinner, come up with a reason to have someone (this works great with iPhone users) look at your phone. Then pretend you have to respond to an email but actually go into CW and restore to a totally different themed rom. Then later come up with something else you HAVE to show the person. The phone has now magically changed from a totally Gold and Black theme (very flashy) to a very dramatic Black and White theme. They will be amazed and you can nonchalantly say, "It's Droid thing", or "It's an Android thing". Cracks me up!! (Doesn't take as much to amuse me as it used to when I was younger!!):)
  10. haxerpaylay

haxerpaylay New Member

Lol alright. Thanks guys.

Sent from my Droid.
  11. addictedhacks

addictedhacks New Member

rm sucks

Can you tell me once i download the rom from pc how to put it in my sd card?? i used rm always never pc and rm sucks lol
  12. CJM

Use the usb to put it on the sd. Remember where you put it.
  13. huskerkate

huskerkate Premium Member Premium Member

Connect phone to PC with USB cable, mount phone to PC, and then just copy rom zip file from PC to the root of sdcard (I.e., when you mount phone to PC, your phone/sdcard is now read as being a removable disk drive).

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
Search tags for this page

how to install pokemon black on android

pokemon black