Need Help deciding on a new Android Phone.

kingsway8605

Reaction score
Thunderbolt comes out the 14th according to bestbuy. Hold out until then. 4g phone and unlike motorola they allow rooting.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Depends on what the upgrade price is. I have limited funds. I work part time and I am trying to get a business going. Besides, if there is no physical keyboard, it's a non starter. Also, I have no interest in rooting, so, that makes no difference to me.

If you want a keyboard you have just a few credible choices, the droid 1, droid 2 global, droid pro, Evo Shift, or the G2. Obviously network narrows down your choices. They all, with the exception of the droid 1, will be about the same price. Droid 2 and droid pro are unrootable. You may not care about rooting, but recognize the main reason moto locks the bootloaders is so they don't have to provide OS upgrades.

boatbod

Reaction score
D2, D2G or DPro are all rootable. What you can't do is flash a new kernel due to the locked bootloader.

HTC devices have unlocked bootloader so many more roms are developed for them.

If you' re not worried about roms, it doesn't matter which brand phone you get....

kingsway8605

Reaction score
D2, D2G or DPro are all rootable. What you can't do is flash a new kernel due to the locked bootloader.

HTC devices have unlocked bootloader so many more roms are developed for them.

If you' re not worried about roms, it doesn't matter which brand phone you get....

You are correct about them being rootable. I mispoke. I meant you can't flash a kernel, which means you can't flash newer versions of Android.

However, you are pseudo-wrong about not paying attention to roms even if you aren't interested in flashing. The phones with locked bootloaders are a lot less likely to receive future versions of android.

OP
T

TimChgo9

Reaction score
It looks like it's going to be the Droid 2 Global. Hopefully will have it within the next week.

boatbod

Reaction score
However, you are pseudo-wrong about not paying attention to roms even if you aren't interested in flashing. The phones with locked bootloaders are a lot less likely to receive future versions of android.

I'm sure Motorola has a way to either sign a new kernel so the existing bootloader will recognize it, or else flash the bootloader itself.

Of course, with the rapid pace of new phone releases, there isn't much incentive for the mfrs/providers to offer version upgrades anyway.

kingsway8605

Reaction score

I'm sure Motorola has a way to either sign a new kernel so the existing bootloader will recognize it, or else flash the bootloader itself.

Of course, with the rapid pace of new phone releases, there isn't much incentive for the mfrs/providers to offer version upgrades anyway.

Yeah, they do, that isn't what I was saying. Not providing updates to unlocked phones encourages rooting. Verizon hates this so they have an incentive to provide an update themselves.

In the case of a locked phone Verizon has no incentive to update you. They want to sell phones. The quicker you upgrade your hardware the more phones they sell. That is why the Milestone is on 2.1 and the Droid is on 2.2. They are exactly the same hardware. Guess which one is the locked one.