Need help deciding. D3 or Bionic.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
The droid 3 is a perfect future proof phone. It doesn't have much ram at 512 but it is dual core so no doubt it will be able to support ice cream snadwhich

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
512 of ram is a no issue anyway(for most people), so oh well. But yeah, Droid 3 is the Bionic w/ a keyboard and no 4G. And 4G to me isn't worth getting yet. When I went to DC this summer and used my friends 4G phone (cause we don't have it here for a few months) 4G wasn't that super amazing to me.. a faster, sure. But.. waiting 2-3second extra on 3G ain't gonna kill me. Youtube 4G vs 3G and notice it's not too big of a deal(to me anyway). 4G is still tempting to get, though.

[video=youtube;XYSPTm40Tjo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYSPTm40Tjo[/video]

militant

Reaction score
512 of ram is a no issue anyway(for most people), so oh well. But yeah, Droid 3 is the Bionic w/ a keyboard and no 4G. And 4G to me isn't worth getting yet. When I went to DC this summer and used my friends 4G phone (cause we don't have it here for a few months) 4G wasn't that super amazing to me.. a faster, sure. But.. waiting 2-3second extra on 3G ain't gonna kill me. Youtube 4G vs 3G and notice it's not too big of a deal(to me anyway). 4G is still tempting to get, though.

‪How Fast is 4G vs. 3G on a Smartphone?‬‏ - YouTube

This test, and most bandwith tests are done in bits/sec, I'm more concerned with bytes/sec as that is what your actual download speed is. On my Droid 3 on 3g I get about 200+ kb/s. Or a megabyte every 5 seconds or so. With my Droid 3 on wifi, I can get speeds of over 1 megabyte per second. On my home computer, I can get speeds over 2.5 megabytes per second ( <3 verizon fios )

anuraj1

Reaction score

‪How Fast is 4G vs. 3G on a Smartphone?‬&rlm; - YouTube

This test, and most bandwith tests are done in bits/sec, I'm more concerned with bytes/sec as that is what your actual download speed is. On my Droid 3 on 3g I get about 200+ kb/s. Or a megabyte every 5 seconds or so. With my Droid 3 on wifi, I can get speeds of over 1 megabyte per second. On my home computer, I can get speeds over 2.5 megabytes per second ( <3 verizon fios )

There are 8 bits in a byte so you can just divide and get the answer.

javipoo

Reaction score
here's what made the decision for me.

What phone are you coming from? Droid 2 ? Try not using the physical keyboard for a week. How's that work for you? Would you be fine without it?
Easy answer then, Bionic.

on the other hand if you are like me and are rather inept with no physical keyboard ; Droid 3 hands down.

Simple easy question , simple easy answers.

I came from am Droid 1, my partner has a Droid 2 and coming from a droid 1 - WOW. I still prefer the Droid 2 Personally...but that's a matter of personal preference due mainly with issues to rooting and the like.
droid 3 rooted would give me no regrets at that point. But that's another point all together.

The_Rick_14

Reaction score
here's what made the decision for me.

What phone are you coming from? Droid 2 ? Try not using the physical keyboard for a week. How's that work for you? Would you be fine without it?
Easy answer then, Bionic.

on the other hand if you are like me and are rather inept with no physical keyboard ; Droid 3 hands down.

Simple easy question , simple easy answers.

I came from am Droid 1, my partner has a Droid 2 and coming from a droid 1 - WOW. I still prefer the Droid 2 Personally...but that's a matter of personal preference due mainly with issues to rooting and the like.
droid 3 rooted would give me no regrets at that point. But that's another point all together.

I'm fine with losing the keyboard. Really the big selling point for me will be battery life while 4G is on. If I can't get though the day without worrying about toggling it off and on constantly then it becomes more of an annoyance to me to save a few seconds of loading here or there.

Unfortunately I can't make that call until they release the damn thing. Haha

Sent from my Droid

Droidrage729

Reaction score
I've come from a dx and loved it but having a physical keyboard is awesome. I don't think I'd go back to not having a keyboard. There is no incentive to not having one. My 3g is just fast enough I see absolutely no reason to be need 4g. Wifi is available most places I go anyway. If someone has any real advantage to going to the bionic aside from battery hogging unnecessary 4g connectivity let me know please.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
I've come from a dx and loved it but having a physical keyboard is awesome. I don't think I'd go back to not having a keyboard. There is no incentive to not having one. My 3g is just fast enough I see absolutely no reason to be need 4g. Wifi is available most places I go anyway. If someone has any real advantage to going to the bionic aside from battery hogging unnecessary 4g connectivity let me know please.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Well it has more RAM, but I have not been able to slow my D3 down no matter what I do so I don't really care about that.

And after using the D3 physical keyboard, I couldn't go without one.

OP
jamesjones25

jamesjones25

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. After careful consideration I have decided to go with the D3. I picked up this phone earlier today and have not put it down. Any thing new I should know about the awesome piece of technology?

gmtekk

Reaction score
yes..make sure you have a charger with you at all times. the rest of the goodies will prevail on their own.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. After careful consideration I have decided to go with the D3. I picked up this phone earlier today and have not put it down. Any thing new I should know about the awesome piece of technology?

To save tons of battery you can turn the other radio off in settings.

The Droid 3 can be used overseas, so the other radio is on at all times.
So just set it for CDMA.