Need help deciding. D3 or Bionic.

jamesjones25

Reaction score
Should I abandon the awesome keyboard that's on the D3 for Bionic's 4g? We're talking about two years on a new contract so decisions have to thought out and researched.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

militant

Reaction score
I would. Full keyboard is overrated

SSX v2.0

Not at all. The level at which you can accomplish things with a physical keyboard vs a virtual one is no comparison. For the casual/average user, the virtual is fine, for others that do lots of typing from the phone, or use lots of login's that have #'s, its damn near essential. The virtual keyboard in gingerbread is amazing, I would even dare say better than iphones. It's so damn good, especially in landscape mode, that I even find I can type on it with ease with my giant ogre hands. That being said, I wouldn't give up the physical keyboard for the world. Couple that with the fact it has basically everything the bionic has, except for LTE (in exchange for the awesome battery life), and it's a no brainer for me.

OP
jamesjones25

jamesjones25

Reaction score
I've been a loyal Droid user. But the thought of 4g is enticing.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Well I love my droid 3. Its sweet but this is the thing. Droid 3 if you want cheaper almost same specs and hard keyboard or bionic if price doesn't matter and 4g

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

jpblock82

Reaction score
I love a QWERTY keyboard, and I need need neeeeeeed one.. do you??? I feel 4G is overrated, because it's still so new, and keep hearing how is kills your battery. I personally feel that, 2 years from now, 4G will be bug free and very worth moving towards... but it all comes down to you and what you want!

Reaction score
Is 4g in your area? If yes then the one thing is the battery life is not good on 4g phones right now. Do you download a lot of movies and music? Then 4g is great at those but everything else is mostly the power if the phone. To me 4g is young and and its not everywhere yet so if you drive places a lot that don't have 4g yet then your back to 3g. To me you need to ask your self some things like keyboard vs virtual keyboard, 4g or 3g. I think the rest of the phone will be the same as the d3 for the most part. We can't make that choice for you. What I like it different then what you like. Me there is no 4g in my area and don't know when there will be. Also im waiting until it all over the place and they fix the really bad battery life on the phones. Go to the thunderbolt forums and see just how bad the battery life is. But if your cool with all that then go for it like you said its for two years. Im getting the d3 tomorrow and very excited about it. It meets all of my needs perfectly. But let us know what you do. Maybe get your hands on the d3 and check it out. Hopefully the bionic will come out soon. It seems that its delayed again but that might be good thing . If its not ready then it should not be released early it might have issues . Anyway hope you love what you get.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Big D

Reaction score
D3 all the way for me. But that's just it. It's a personal thing. It's not a case of which is subjectively better than the other. If having the best physical keyboard ever on a smartphone is important to you, the D3 is the best phone in a long time.

I'll be all over the D4 when it comes out (in a year or 2) but until then, 4g is immature, saps the bejesus out of a battery and is spotty. In 2 years, it'll be great. Not there quite yet.

The D3 is an AMAZING piece of engineering and features the best keyboard ever. If you don't need it, and you"re willing to deal with 4G growing pains, go Bionic.

If you need a keyboard, like I do, than you would be nuts to pass up on the D3. AND for some reason, 3G seems to be MUCH faster on the D3 for whatever reason.

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
I don't need need a hard keyboard but I love it in my opinion. The keyboard just feels so right on the droid 3 with the way it clicks to the backlight during night times. Battery is somewhat of an issue so I can't imagine 4g draining more battery out of this one but as long as I have my car charger or at someones home who has a micro usb charger (ain't hard to find those, they are very common) then I'm all set. I get 3 hours use of hardcore use (playing games, netflix) and all day from just pocketing it. Awesome phone and awesome software, I would totally suggest getting this and get 4g when its as common as 3g in two years

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
D3 has been great. In March 2013 for my upgrade, ill get a 4G phone when its improved.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

digipoo

Reaction score
Until the battery life on 4G phones gets better, to my understanding the reason for that is that the 4G and 3G are handled by different chips that do not work together seamlessly.

Alcapwn89

Reaction score
I was gonna go Bionic until I found out my area wouldn't have 4G for about another year.

I picked up the Droid 3 and so far besides some minor battery life issues (it was actually pretty good today! Go figure) I absolutely love the phone. They've improved upon the Original Droid (and D2 for that matter) in pretty much every way.

Plus, every 4G phone released for verizon has had terrible battery life so far. We'll see if the Bionic can overcome that, but I doubt it since 4G LTE is still a relatively young technology to manufacturers. Probably have another year before power-saving LTE radio's become the norm in phones.

Skurvy_Pirate

Reaction score
I recently weighed the pros and cons of Droid 3 vs a 4G phone. I decided that 4G uses too much battery, and that I don't download big files or stream movies so it wouldn't be that much of a loss for me. I did some comparisons with web browsing and there we little to no difference most of the time. 3G was fast enough coupled with the phones awesome dual core processor to keep it snappy.

Also, I love the Droid keyboard. I don't use it often, mostly when remoting to my computer or playing games, but for the things I use it for the virtual keyboard doesn't hold a candle to it.

Now between the Droid 3 and Bionic, the main differences are obviously the keyboard and 4G. But also the Droid has 1080p video recording, AGPS, and it is a world phone.

So for me, the 4G phones available right now aren't worth it yet.

HTCuser

Reaction score
Well it should be his or her choice bcuz if they would rather give up a keyboard for 4g and a gig of ram. I would personally go with the bionic bcuz it is motos flagship phone so it is 100% gonna get ice cream sandwhich with the d3 u aren't future proof and u might not get the most recent update

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

militant

Reaction score
Well it should be his or her choice bcuz if they would rather give up a keyboard for 4g and a gig of ram. I would personally go with the bionic bcuz it is motos flagship phone so it is 100% gonna get ice cream sandwhich with the d3 u aren't future proof and u might not get the most recent update

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums

The bionic might take over as the flagship, but Motorola has never neglected the OG droids. Pretty sure the D3 will get all relevant software updates, and in a timely fashion. It has the same guts as a bionic, so we already know the hardware can handle it.