Need help creating icons

Shelooga

Reaction score
How can I make an icon any shape besides a square? For example I want an icon outlining a droid, not a square icon with a picture of a droid. Am I going to need to buy an editing program?

Reaction score
I would say yes you need an editing program. Most icons are not jpeg or bitmap format. A lot use the png format that allows a clear or erased background. It is still square but it appears to be round as that is all that can be seen.

Droid I- Rom, crap which one did I load again?

OP
Shelooga

Shelooga

Reaction score
I would say yes you need an editing program. Most icons are not jpeg or bitmap format. A lot use the png format that allows a clear or erased background. It is still square but it appears to be round as that is all that can be seen.

Yea I was just hoping there's a free program I could make an erased background. But off to best buy I'll go

Reaction score
Did you look online for a free one? I use adobe myself but I am sure there is a decent free version somewhere.

GregTard

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
bit.ly
As already suggested and tried, GIMP is great. If you just want to make a few icons though, you could also get a trial of Adobe Creative Suite which includes Fireworks and Photoshop. I find that casual users like Fireworks better where as they find GIMP and Photoshop a little difficult.

Just throwing it out there for others.

OP
Shelooga

Shelooga

Reaction score
As already suggested and tried, GIMP is great. If you just want to make a few icons though, you could also get a trial of Adobe Creative Suite which includes Fireworks and Photoshop. I find that casual users like Fireworks better where as they find GIMP and Photoshop a little difficult.

Just throwing it out there for others.

never used photoshop myself, but Gimp is a little tricky to get the hang of for anyone looking. theres been a few times ive almost smashed my computer. but the options are great; i used it to create about 200 images for a boot animation.. a boot animation i cannot get to sign for some reason