1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

need help can a Droid 1 connect to a router

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by helinut, Jan 10, 2011.

1. helinut

helinut New Member

Full Time Rver, Home is where I am parked
    I have been following this forum for a while. I have had a Droid 1 since last April. It is stock. I just purchased a Samsung Fascinate, so I could use it as a Hot spot. I was not aware a 2gig limit came into play when in Hot spot mode. I have read the post on rooting. I have printed the instructions and downloaded all the files.

I want to root my Droid so that it can either be hooked to my Linksys router or a Cradle point I would need to buy. Not sure what ROM or Tether program would work.

I have been successful creating a bridge between my Droid running PDAnet and my Linksys router. Problem is it crashes after about 45 minutes and then I have to delete the bridge and start over. Not a good option for me.

Moderators feel free to move this if it would be better some where else.

WayneR
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  2. furbearingmammal

furbearingmammal Super Moderator

So far north in NY I smell maple syrup when the wi
    What do you mean connect to a router? Any rooted Android device with a 3G antenna can be used to tether via the WiFi tethering app in my signature.
  3. helinut

helinut New Member

I would like to use the Droid as a modem basically that could be hooked to the Wan port of my Linksys router. If the Droid can be a hot spot than that would work. I am close to attempting to root just doing my research up front.

As you can see I am a novice at this.
  4. furbearingmammal

Point 1, no. Point two, yes. Follow link two in my sig.
  5. helinut

helinut New Member

Thanks, item 2 in your sig is the article I printed out and I have all the files downloaded and prepped in a special folder on my computer.

I have read the article several times and just need to get the courage to proceed.
  6. furbearingmammal

I had to do it today on a CLN replacement Droid Verizon sent me.

Took 2 minutes. :rofl3:
  7. prime

prime Kernel Developer Premium Member Developer

Root droid, install rom manager, flash clockwork mod recovery, nandroid backup, install wifi tether capable kernel, install wifi tether..no router necessary.

Get a router capable of repeater functionality, something that will run the DD-WRT ★open source firmware★.
  8. helinut

helinut New Member

Thanks for the help, I have rooted my Droid successfully. Not in 2 minutes but in about 15.

Now I just need to add some apps like WI-FI tether and Backup Titanium.
  9. evltwn72

evltwn72 New Member

Just a question...why don't you root your Fascinate instead of going back to the Droid? The Fascinate can be rooted and upgraded to Froyo. You can also install wireless tether, titanium backup and any rooted app.
  10. helinut

helinut New Member

This may be a little long.
    We are full time RVer's. I have been using a MotoSat F1 satellite system (Hughes.net) for the last 10 years. It has worked great connected to a router and providing all my toys internet access. The MotoSat and Hughes.net has been problematic as far as staying connected. Especially in the last few years as the equipment ages. The latest and greatest equipment is about $6000 to replace my aging system. When I bought my Droid last April it was just to replace my old phone. I soon got PDAnet and started using it on my main computer. During this time my LNB and feed horn started to go bad.

At this point I was relying on the Droid more and more. This did not allow me to keep my 2 HD DVRs and Home theater system connected. So I decide to get a Fascinate (afraid to root my Droid). The Fascinate hotspot mode accomplished this. I thought I was on a unlimited data, not true. It only took me 5 days to exceed the 2gigs Hotspot limit ( I was abusing the new system trying all sorts of things). I typically will stay under the 5gig limit.

So, on to rooting my Droid. The plan is to allow it to be dedicated to my internet access requirements in the MH. If I was or can connect the Droid to my router. Then all my other equipment can stay connected to the router. When I want to have them connect to the internet I just need to connect the router to the Droid.

I now plan on using my Fascinate as my daily phone (I really like it). As I become more comfortable with the rooting environment I may root the Fascinate.

My next steps are to get the WI-FI tethering going and see if my toys will all hookup in ad hock mode.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  11. furbearingmammal

The Fascinate doesn't have a 2GB cap as long as you're using the WiFi tethering app from my sig. All data going to the phone is recorded as data. It's the 3G Hotspot app on the phone that tracks the data so you pay more when you go over it. The drawback of doing the WiFi tethering app is Ad-Hoc mode.
  12. evltwn72

evltwn72 New Member

There is no cap on the data plan from VZW. If you heard that 5gb is the real cap, thats totally false. I go over 5gb every month and my bill is always the same. As long as you are not activating the 3g Hotspot app on the phone, VZW does not monitor your data. So go ahead and root the Fascinate and have fun.
  13. furbearingmammal

I think he's confusing the WiFi hotspot app data cap with the unlimited data plan. There is no cap for data NOT going through the hotspot app.
  14. helinut

helinut New Member

MY Fascinate is not rooted and I activated and used the WIFI hot spot. I exceeded the 2gig limit. I got a notice of going over. My account shows me going over. The unlimited side has not been used.

I will leave it as is for now. I doubt I will ever go over the 2gigs using the Fascinate as my carry around phone. My Droid will do my heavy data usage in the RV. At some point I will probably root the fascinate and drop the Hot Spot option.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  15. furbearingmammal

That works.

z4root on the Fascinate and one quick install of the Google Code app/Market app and you'll be good to go whenever you're ready. :)
  16. helinut

helinut New Member

17. evltwn72

evltwn72 New Member

I agree with ya.

@helinut, if you root your Fascinate and install an app from the android market place called WIRELESS TETHER FOR ROOT, it acts the same as the pre-installed 3gHotspot but verizon doesnt monitor your data usage. To verizon, its looks like you are just using your phone to surf the web or stream music.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  18. helinut

helinut New Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  19. helinut

helinut New Member

I noticed one issue with Barnacle WIFI. It wont stay connected when I am trying to update my Harmony remote through the web interface. I assume it is Ad hock mode causing the issues. I switched to PDAnet and it worked fine. No biggie just a glitch.
  20. furbearingmammal

Barnacle isn't updated as often as the Google Code repository app linked to in my sig, that's why I recommend you go right to the source. :)
Search tags for this page
can i connect to hughesnet router with droid x2
clockworkmod tether through router
connect droid phone to linksys router
connect pdanet to wireless router
cradlepoint android root
help connect droid 1 to wifi router

help connect droid 1 to wifi router wpa4/wpa2psk

how to access router with rooted android
how to use cradel point router with pdanet
pda net router
pdanet router bridge mode