1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Need clarification on installing boot animations

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by CaptainCaveMan, Jun 13, 2010.

1. CaptainCaveMan

CaptainCaveMan New Member

I grab a boot animation .zip and I put it on the sd card and then use Root Explorer to copy/paste it into the system/media folder. From what I understand that is all i'm suppose to do, but I can't get any of the animations to work. Is there another step I'm missing? Here is a screenshot of my system/media folder...

[​IMG]
  2. korp

korp New Member

It has to be in /data/local/ which is why it's not working for you because it's in the wrong spot.

Have the animation in the root of your SDcard, Open a terminal app and type:
    su
    cp /sdcard/bootanimation.zip /data/local/
    reboot

Or you can copy/past it to /data/local/

Also .... it has to be named bootanimation.zip .... nothing else.
  3. CaptainCaveMan

That fixed it. Thank you! :icon_ banana:
  4. Skaggz

Skaggz New Member

Just to clarify, it will work just fine in /system/media

The reason it wasn't working for you is because you didn't have the name set to bootanimation.zip
  5. CaptainCaveMan

That makes me feel a little better. I knew I had read that somewhere about the media folder, I must have just missed the re-naming the file part.
  6. Skaggz

Skaggz New Member

The way it works is that the system looks in data/local first, if a bootanimation.zip is not found, it then looks in /system/media.

It really only matters where you place them if its a large bootanimation.zip file. When it goes into /data/local it takes up valuable app storage space. A few months ago I made a bootanimation with a 3D rotating image of the master chief from Halo. The file size what over 16 MB! Thats a lot of app space used up that didn't need to be. I moved it to /system/media and all was good.
  7. korp

korp New Member

Really? Ah didn't know that .... pretty useful information to keep that local space free.
  8. mentaloaf

mentaloaf New Member

Where can one find some cool boot animation downloads that work with froyo?
  9. Wolfy

Wolfy New Member

I am having an unbelievably hard time accomplishing this seemingly very simple task.
    I'm rooted, using the brand new FRG22 2.2 ROM.
    I downloaded the 'spinning droid' animation from - Droidboots.
    I copied it to my downloads folder on the SD card.
    I renamed it 'bootanimation.zip'.

The problem comes with getting it where it needs to be. Using either Astro, or Estrongs file managers, I can select and copy the file, but when I back up to /system/media, I can't paste. Option is greyed out. Can't do it on the computer via USB, because you can only see the SD Card there - can't see the upper level folders like /system.
    Tried the terminal emulator mentioned above adding 'downloads' to the copy path.
    It returned 'cp not found'. No idea what that means. Does that mean the file or path wasn't found, or the copy command is not recognized?
    Why isn't there a simple app or something added to ROM manager or something to handle this?
    What am I doing wrong?