Need assistance with Droid 4 Bootloop, have searched for hours and no solution yet

spillahtyme

Reaction score
as of 2 days ago my Droid 4 is stuck in a bootloop. Events leading up to it were nothing more than normal use (mostly txting) a dead battery and hooking it to a charger. There had been no software changes, and I have never flashed/rooted the phone. As soon as it hit 5% I powered it up, only to find it would not connect to the mobile network. Wireless seemed to connect fine. After about a minute the phone would reboot, and will continue this process until the battery dies.
I tried putting the phone in airplane mode thinking that when I turned it off it might have better luck connecting to vzw's network. Now it sits in airplane mode, yet in settings it shows airplane mode is off. If you try to turn it off by unchecking the unchecked box, it immediately reboots. Took it to verizon only to watch them scratch their heads for an hour. Now after letting them tinker with it I am stuck in a restore mode where all I can access is the "Touch the android to continue" screen (sorry for getting technical there lol) or the droid triage screen. Any actual attempt at restoration (touching the android) results in a permanent display of "Please wait, this may take a few minutes) and eventually it will reboot and re-enter the loop. Volume up+down+power will force a shut down and allow the phone to stay on, but any attempt at restoring will force it back into the loop. Verizon suspects that it is a Hardware issue, and is replacing my phone.. seemingly bypassing insurance as no deductible was required, but they did have to order it. I'm unsure if I will have to send this one back, but no one has mentioned it. The only things holding me from attempting to flash is if I do have to send it back and then they try to claim that I caused the issue by tampering with the software, and that I am a complete Noob when it comes to anything of this nature. With that said, I am currently running off of my old Blackberry Storm while I await the arrival of my new droid, and that is nothing short of torture!!!

any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Ps. They printed off the steps they took to force the wipe and attempt to restore, I've run through it a few times myself, and what little I can access with the restoration in process shows me the wipe either didn't occur, or didn't truly wipe everything from the phone. I still get a notification from a previously installed app on every boot after the first boot from a forced shutdown. On the initial boot I get notifications of "Vz data usage app is here!" and something about Dial assist being active or something to that nature. No clue what these are, have never had either of them active before as far as I know.. I have also seen reports that the 4 will not charge if OS isn't loaded.. mine charges fine even though I can't access the OS.

OP
S

spillahtyme

Reaction score
continuation of earlier post

just fyi I have no clue what version of the OS is installed, I got the phone maybe a week after it came out, and I can't recall if I ever installed an update... I want to say I haven't.
only information I can see that might be useful is on BP SBF Flash Mode screen it displays 0A.6C

OP
S

spillahtyme

Reaction score
additional followup

I have downloaded the fastboot files, installed drivers, and rsdlite 5.7. rsd never recgonizes the phone. Computer only detects it when I enter BP SPB Flashmode, AP Fastboot is not detected by computer and neither detected by rsd... :/

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Sorry, I do not know anything about the Droid 4 but I am moving your post to the Droid 4 section in hopes it will get some more traffic and info for you.

jsnweitzel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you didn't root the device or attempt software changes then I would get a replacement if the data reset didn't clear up the trouble. The notice about the data widget and assisted dialing is normal after a data reset.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I would return the phone too. I've never seen something like this and if they're willing to give a replacement,might as well take it.

B-Unit

Reaction score
If you wern't hacking it, its broken. Let them replace it under warenty.

obogobo

Reaction score
Spillahtyme try using these drivers, they worked for me when my phone was stuck in a bootloop and my computer wouldn't detect the phone. Install them and reboot your computer, once everything is loaded back up hold Volume Down and plug the phone into the computer, you should see Windows installing the driver for "AP Fastboot Maserati_S" which is what's needed to reflash your Droid.